Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd March 2010, 20:55   #46
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
So started watching out keenly that I am not overdressed for the occasion.
Good point.
Having said all this in my present company dress code is very relaxed.
I come mostly in T and Jeans

However in my previous company my immediate manager used to get Psycho seeing folks in T and Jeans even on casual friday. That company was too much Psycho during client visits and made sure all came in light colored shirts.

But I still think its rather awkward to show-up for an interview in Jeans.
Maybe I'm Psycho
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Dress code should not be the criteria to judge a person either in interview or on the street . Why should some one matter what I wear ? , Instead focus on what I can do and what the company can gain .

The interviewer who asked the person to get out , deserves , 2 fingers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

@Gandhi, quite likely that you know how to cary yourself, but make an office a dress code free place and you will see many coming in their bathroom slippers and "pants" resembling PJs. I am speaking from my personal experience.
My office had dress free code , VP comes in T shirt , Business manager comes in shorts , some come in tracks , some with BATHROOM slippers , how does that matter ? .That does not stop us from making 14 consecutive quarters with double digit growth and profits.No company in US is able to do that .

May be the code written while wearing hush puppies will not generate any defects .

Last edited by black12rr : 23rd March 2010 at 21:22.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Dress code should not be the criteria to judge a person either in interview or on the street . Why should some one matter what I wear ? , Instead focus on what I can do and what the company can gain .

The interviewer who asked the person to get out , deserves , 2 fingers .

My office had dress free code , VP comes in T shirt , Business manager comes in shorts , some come in tracks , some with BATHROOM slippers , how does that matter ? .That does not stop us from making 14 consecutive quarters with double digit growth and profits.No company in US is able to do that .
you are mixing things up. performance has nothing to do with dress. neither does offering prayers.

I already answered your question earlier. If you realize the fact that you dress for respecting others, to keep a god looking atmosphere, and to keep the overall ambience factor up, you would tend to dress better. And it doesn't have to be a suit, a good looking designer shirt with jeans and jaipuri shoes whould be fine too.

but bathroom slippers? there is a reason they are called that.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 23rd March 2010 at 21:23.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
And it doesn't have to be a suit, a good looking designer shirt with jeans and jaipuri shoes whould be fine too.

but bathroom slippers? there is a reason they are called that.
Again you are talking about dress code . .So you will not hire a person who accidentally lost a button on his shirt while coming to interview ? .

Cut the rules. who called those rubbers, bathroom slippers ? human beings like you and me called it .If we can name them like that , we can un name them also .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again you are talking about dress code . .So you will not hire a person who accidentally lost a button on his shirt while coming to interview ? .

Cut the rules. who called those rubbers, bathroom slippers ? human beings like you and me called it .If we can name them like that , we can un name them also .
now you brought another point, accidents. If somebody dropped a can of paint on me as I was entering the office, I would still apear in the interview, explaining what happened, and will perform my best. I will be equally fair to somebody if I was the interviewer in that case.

let's cal them worn out, rusted/spotted chappals. and let's find out why people like to wear them

1. they think the money used to buy a better leather slipper can be used elsewhere better?
2. they just can't afford it.
3. they love their old chappals.
4. they think their work speaks for them more than the attire. In fact, as their quality of their work increases, they keep reducing the quality of their attire to maintain an equilibrium.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 01:00   #51
BHPian

I have seen 1 and 4 happening, perhaps with the same person in my office
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 01:19   #52
BHPian

IMHO, all that matters is your communication, attitude, common sense, body language and ofcourse the technical knowledge.

If the company is not particular about a dress code, wear what you are comfortable with.

Please see to it that you don't have a bad breath (Including smoking)
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 01:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice read this thread is.

@Gandhi
Do you work for Google?

I took my campus interview in a formal attire, which included a formal shirt, a tie and a pair of trousers. Delhi summers are too hot to wear a blazer in.
I do love suits though! They look chic and fun. Its like Barney Stinson says .

Someone mentioned a point about shaving before an interview. I sported a french beard during mine and I might have another one coming up where I plan to sport my full beard (of course with the edges suitably trimmed). I doubt it would create a problem.

My first company was one of the big 4 of consulting and my interview was taken by the Director of the particular department. I had walked in all sweaty with my top button open thanks to crazy Delhi summers. He was pretty cool about it and I did make the job. So, I guess its okay to go easy but within limits.

There was a company visiting our campus a bit back and they interviewed a guy straight out of his bed in hostel at 11 in the night. Apparently some mis-communication has led him to go back to the hostels and doze off. The interviewers told him to come in his nightsuit for the interview.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 02:06   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
So this is what I am planning to wear for an interview on Friday. This is the best picture I could get from my cell phone cam, and is quite close. The suit looks black, but is deep blue.
Please suggest any changes that would be necessary (colours not matching, too flashy etc).
Dude, I hope your manager is not in t-bhp forum, and if he is, pray he does not know your handle name.

Last edited by Ranjimso : 24th March 2010 at 02:08.
Ranjimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 03:05   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
Dude, I hope your manager is not in t-bhp forum, and if he is, pray he does not know your handle name.

I changed the shirt to a light iced-blue shade, and changed the tie as well.
Anyhow, I don't think it would be too bad if he gets to know about this thread either. This does show that I am extremely sincere about the interview, and that I really want to crack it
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 03:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

He was talking about your present manager.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone watch the movie " In pursuit of Happiness" ? It is based on true story of Chris Gardner.

In the interview scene Chris Gardner ( Will Smith) lands up in interview at a wall street firm with a pair or jeans and a vest with no shoes and paint spilled over him but he explains nicely on how he was arrested while painting his house for a parking ticket case and rushing to interview just after his release so he is serious about this job.

Kind of inspirational for all interview takers and candidates.

FYI : My company is not as relaxed to allow shorts in office but there is no dress code either

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Good point.
However in my previous company my immediate manager used to get Psycho seeing folks in T and Jeans even on casual friday. That company was too much Psycho during client visits and made sure all came in light colored shirts.

But I still think its rather awkward to show-up for an interview in Jeans.
Maybe I'm Psycho
Let me guess was your previous company One of the top 5 IT service company ? In my experience as a client of their services , Those guys somehow think that client is unhappy about dress code and not the quality / skill of their personal
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 11:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why should some one matter what I wear ? , Instead focus on what I can do and what the company can gain .
Valid point. But look at it this way. There are various job functions. Not all is coding and R&D. There are other types involved too.

We have a couple of folks who work from home - 365 days. Do I bother what they are wearing?

But we do have sales guys/ professional services guys. Do we expect them to go to a client location wearing bathroom slippers for a demo of a software that costs a few millions?

Not everyone does the job you do.

Will your firm be ready to accept nudists in office? Did anyone of you guys try and see what the VP in Tshirt might think about it?

The point is being presentable to a wider audience. If its fine with your firm good for you.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 12:04   #59
BHPian

An interview is a very short time for the interviewer to know whether the candidate is good for the company or not. That's why there are multiple rounds (technical, HR, operations, etc). All that they know about you is what you show them. The CV/Resume, your credentials and your talk. The only other weapon you have is how you present yourself and impress the interviewer enough to hire you over the all the others in the queue. I think the more serious you are, better are the chances.

Most jobs are team-based and very few a jobs are in isolation. It is imperative for the interviewer to know if u r generally acceptable, workable, interactable and serious. The level of seriousness is shown in the dress u wear. I don't think any interviewer will specifically ask whether u r serious for the job, and I don't think any candidate will want to answer a "NO" to that! But the dress u wear answers that question immediately and silently within the first few seconds.

How serious you are will show up in the dress you wear. Your credientials/knowledge will only show how capable you are, and that could be a subjective decision.

I think it is important to differentiate between the seriousness of the occasion, and the capability of the job. The interview happens only once in the company, the capability will show up in the long run as you work on an everyday basis.

As they say "A good start is half the job done." A good impression in the interview an be considered as a good start, then you only have to worry about the other half!

Maybe I am conservative, but this approach has often worked well for me.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 24th March 2010 at 12:05.
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 12:40   #60
Team-BHP Support

I am still waiting to hear from somebody who attended their own wedding in T-Shirt. After all, it can't indicate their future performance as a spouse.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote