Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd March 2010, 17:09   #1
BHPian

Default GMAT study group in Chennai

I'm planning to take the GMAT in 2 month's time. I have amassed quite a bit of material, but my problem is sitting down. Even during my Undergrad days I'm so used to being part of study groups - meeting up in libraries, coffee shops etc. And that's the only way I would even pick up the book.
Getting to the point, I was wondering if there are other fellow TBhp-ians from Chennai who's prepping who would like a study buddy, meet up once or twice a week to share tips and tricks, please get in touch with me and we'll work something out!

Mods: I couldn't find any relevant threads. Please remove if inappropriate. Thanks.
quicksilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:17   #2
BHPian

Sorry to barge into your thread and be completely OT!

But I just wanted to know what all material have you amassed? Specifically a list of them would really help!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:32   #3
BHPian

No worries bro, after all, we are here to share information.

- Hard copies of Kaplan UK Edition ('07) and Princeton Review ('09)
- GMAT OG 10 & 12
- Manhattan Review Sentence correction and some practice tests (only verbal)
- Bunch of practice sets, amounting to 500-700 questions
I might have more practice sets, but I have to dig deep to find em.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:32   #4
BHPian

My GMAT score was 680 out of 800. Took leave for a week and prepared for that attempt. Maths percentile was above 90, but English percentile was around 70 I applied to Stanford with this score, and got rejected (not interested in 'small' schools). This score is more than 5 years old, I want to write again and get full score . Count me in your group!
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Start with the OG. Finish it and move to the Kaplan UK and then Kaplan 800.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilvr View Post
No worries bro, after all, we are here to share information.

- Hard copies of Kaplan UK Edition ('07) and Princeton Review ('09)
- GMAT OG 10 & 12
- Manhattan Review Sentence correction and some practice tests (only verbal)
- Bunch of practice sets, amounting to 500-700 questions
I might have more practice sets, but I have to dig deep to find em.
Thanks, just need to know to see what all I need to pickup. Just jumped onto the GMAT bandwagon, I know its a bit late this year, but still hoping for the best!

As of now I only have the 12th edition OG's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Thank you.. That was really valuable input there!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:52   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Is the list of study material mentioned here sufficient to get a good score at GMAT? I am planning to give GMAT in Aug/Sep '10.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
My GMAT score was 680 out of 800. Took leave for a week and prepared for that attempt. Maths percentile was above 90, but English percentile was around 70 I applied to Stanford with this score, and got rejected (not interested in 'small' schools). This score is more than 5 years old, I want to write again and get full score . Count me in your group!
680 is pretty good, but yea, not for Tier 1 though. But I would've applied to more than one. I suggest you check out the latest FT rankings - a starting point to shortlist schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Thanks Nitrous. I'll keep that in mind. Btw, are you taking your GMAT also? Or is this from prior experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Thanks, just need to know to see what all I need to pickup. Just jumped onto the GMAT bandwagon, I know its a bit late this year, but still hoping for the best!

As of now I only have the 12th edition OG's!
It's not late Praful. Depending on the amount of time you could spend in a day - I've seen people preparing for anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. The concepts are pretty simple, practice is what matters.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:05   #9
BHPian

This sounds nice! From what I heard, I think one needs to put in at least 3 months of rigorous effort to get a decent score. Let us hear from what others have to tell.

Count me in for this study group.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:08   #10
BHPian

Cool I am in.

I am from MH state., but I am very much deciding for the CAT + GMAT
perhaps by this year second half (GMAT) and CAT next yr.(duh).
for GMAT, I have taken a couple o books.
Kaplan
OG (s/w)
Princeton Review

but, its been more than a year.
People, please help me brush up the changes (if any) in the pattern
We can mention it anyway as a Start line for any new comers too!

But, I am in..

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:42   #11
BHPian

The Official Guide keeps on adding 'retired' questions every year, I think they have added around 80 questions this year compared to last year. The trouble is, you won't be able to spot the extra questions because they are added at random places!
It's a good thing to start with just one guide and see whether you are really able to make progress (with respect to the time that you are able to spend). Once you are confident that you'll be able to put continuous effort, you could buy more Guides.

I feel it's best to try out the two free computer based tests (available as download from the official site Welcome to mba.com), so that first you'll know where you stand. The "test-makers" claim that most probably you'll get plus or minus 10 percentile in the actual test. (I got 700 and 710 in the two computer based 'official' practice tests, hence I confidently went for the actual test with just a week's preparation. My score in the actual test was 680, still some what close to my score in the practise test).

You can have your 'Preparation Style' based on your score in the Practice Tests, and based on how much you want to improve in the actual test. Remember, the way you need to prepare for 800 score is entirely different from the way you need to prepare for 650 score.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 24th March 2010 at 10:44.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 13:21   #12
BHPian

OT:

Around what sorta expense does one have to consider, while doing an MBA in US through GMAT??

What is the minimum/average work experience required in good universities??
athul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 18:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
The "test-makers" claim that most probably you'll get plus or minus 10 percentile in the actual test.
10%ile is a vast range, I am guessing you meant 10 points. which is just not possible. even in actual test people have had a very diverse set of scores when taken multiple times.

Still, taking the test helps you understand the format, and the time pressure. I only used OG and princeton review before that to brush up the formulae, concepts etc. The two books took me around 1.5 months with around 15 hrs a week, and I felt that any more practice I would have done would not significantly improve my score.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 19:25   #14
BHPian

Wow. Nice thread. I wanted to create one for MBA aspirants in TBhp after I completed my GMAT. Btw, my GMAT date is on April 6th. Been preparing for 4months now on and off. Anyone with questions on gmat prep, materials, etc I would be happy to help.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 19:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
OT:

Around what sorta expense does one have to consider, while doing an MBA in US through GMAT??

What is the minimum/average work experience required in good universities??
Min 2 yrs exp. Expenses vary depending on universities and locations, private or public university, etc. Ivy Leagues would approx cost 100,000 USD inclusive of 2yr tuition and other expenses.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote