Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st April 2010, 18:20   #61
BHPian

Mine is a software company in Pune. 10.64% is what I got this time after a compensation freeze since last year. So not really much :(
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 19:32   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
What, no pay cuts after Jazz disaster?

Oh wait, The City sales have more than made up for it!!!!
lol.. If so, Chevrolete employees will end up paying it's company..
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 20:53   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ranjan, that was hilarious. Would not be a bad idea to start a thread about how hikes would be in each auto-company.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 21:14   #64
BHPian

Okay, looks like I am the only one in a Govt job here. We got a 3% increment and 8% DA (if you can count it) and expecting another 8% in the second half of the year. ~19% hike (which will never be reverted back) do not seem to be dat bad right

girish
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 21:51   #65
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
A friend told me that he got 150% bonus and 30% hike!!! And their company is recruiting big time, has given even 40% to people who are joining. They need a LOT of people, looks like time to apply!!! I got to know the offer letter details as my close friend is in the staffing team who prepares the letters. He said for some skills they have got HUGE projects and they are giving whatever a candidate is asking( like in the early 2000 days)
Will not like to disclose the company details etc here, but you can guess.
Limited openings though so the early bird will get the worm for sure!
Man we have so many people who believed this!!! Guys stop dreaming, the only company who gave this was the one who took interviews on April 1
Pleaaaase take in the right spirit if you were really serious, just my harmless way of having fun on April 1st!(esp to those who sent me PM's asking the company name)
Who knows, may come true sometime!!!
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:33   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Man we have so many people who believed this!!! Guys stop dreaming, the only company who gave this was the one who took interviews on April 1
Pleaaaase take in the right spirit if you were really serious, just my harmless way of having fun on April 1st!(esp to those who sent me PM's asking the company name)
Who knows, may come true sometime!!!
Ha ha lol.. can't believe people really sent a PM to know the company name.

Great Aspiration
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:08   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a good one, mkh. Definitely better thought out than many others doing the rounds!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Given the premium we pay for Hondas here, they should be doubling your salary every year.
LOL grass always looks greener at the other side guys... At Honda we never compromise on quality , For instance the quality of paint on Honda Cars is the same which the world is getting I mean international US / Europe quality and by changing the quality of the pain Honda can reduce 18% cost approx. but as a brand the proposal had been rejected several times. Believe it or not you are getting a quality product without compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Kaushik just told it - 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
@ akaushik: Are you from Hoda Siel ?

@Ranjan Sharma :then they are really becoming bad paymasters.
Not bad but I call it Job Satisfaction , I am 100 per cent satisfied for what I am doing and getting..Yeah I am..

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
What, no pay cuts after Jazz disaster?

Oh wait, The City sales have more than made up for it!!!!
Ya payout is obviously less , Less number of promotions but still I am a Honda Fan
akaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Okay, looks like I am the only one in a Govt job here. We got a 3% increment and 8% DA (if you can count it) and expecting another 8% in the second half of the year. ~19% hike (which will never be reverted back) do not seem to be dat bad right

girish
I'm also in govt. job.

The once in a year 3% increment is the real hike we get here.DA is just a allowance which we get twice a year.
16% DA and 3% increment doesn't end up as 19% hike.

e.g.If basic pay is 10000,DA is 50% and other allowances are also 50% (though some are fixed) then total pay will be 20000.After 16% increase in DA total pay will be 21600 meaning total hike is only 8%.

Fortunately we have to get this 3% increment every year and DA increase twice a year no matter what if our respective dept is loosing/making money.
Unfortunately we to have wait for 10year to get significant hike of 10-25% which just happened last year.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 3rd April 2010 at 16:06.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:10   #70
BHPian

good to see you rj . . .

a 8% DA has resulted in an increase of 2.5k for me (dont forget the DA on transport allowance too ) and expect similar rise in July/Aug. In addition, when it crosses 50%, DA will be added to the basic. That will give a direct increase of 4k on HRA alone (to start with), so I am not complaining as of today

Between, I am a DOS employee, which agency do you work for
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:49   #71
BHPian

I'm in health dept Pb govt working as doctor but my days here seem to be numbered.
State govts usually give lesser and later to its employee than Indian govt.e.g DA hike which we got last july09 which added to pay from feb10 and rest went to GPF and still to get this hike added to pay.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 17:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strange that companies are willing to let people IN at 25% more than what they pay the guy who is leaving!!! Why not pay the guy even 15% more and retain him? i think its a calculated risk, lets see if the guy really moves or not, if not we got away with low expense, if yes, well maybe a risk worth it!!
Many times it will boil down to how well your manager is presenting the case to HR. It is up to the manager to convince HR that the guy is worth retaining and hence need to be given better hikes. It is doable, and I have done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
The reason why most companies prefer to let go is that if they tried to deal with a person leaving by giving him more, then there will scores of others who will try and do so and expect to get a raise. Also companies always prefer some new blood - attrition is a good way of doing that.
No, I don't think so. Company would have invested a lot, in terms of training, grooming etc. I would not let such a person go out of my team, if he is a good performer. Fresh blood is good while expanding the team, but not as replacements for good performers.

Quote:
I know for a fact that if the attrition % gets very low, then HR gets asked and asks questions around why performance management in the company is not very effective.
Hmmm, first time I am hearing this. When attrition is low, why would performance management be ineffective? I am not getting the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
time to switch the job. just waiting 5 more months to complete 5 years in IT.
what pisses me off is my college mate who joined as lateral with same exp as me getting 60% more than me (for same role)!
I think it is a fair call to leave. Any day, an employee who stuck with the company is a valuable asset than somebody who just joined. I am sure you would have had discussion with your manager, and got unconvincing answers.

Quote:
I always dont understand what this standard is? Is this a association governing salary somewhere who distribute these standards? I mean where do these standards come from?
My knowledge is limited to IT industry.
A person with an experience of X years would get salary in the region of
- 2X, 2X+1 lakhs in an average product company
- 2X+3 or 2X+4 lakhs in a startup
- 2X-1, 2X-2 lakhs in a services company
There would be exceptions to this rule - like in case of freshers, or when company is desperate to attract talent. But, by and large, this is the trend that I have observed.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 18:00   #73
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

My knowledge is limited to IT industry.
A person with an experience of X years would get salary in the region of
- 2X, 2X+1 lakhs in an average product company
- 2X+3 or 2X+4 lakhs in a startup
- 2X-1, 2X-2 lakhs in a services company
There would be exceptions to this rule - like in case of freshers, or when company is desperate to attract talent. But, by and large, this is the trend that I have observed.
I beg to differ and with enough data to say that this is over stated. NONE of the people i know get 2 times the number of years they have put in except those who got a jackpot
Most of the times its 1.5x years, so for about 6 years 9 lacs is a good salary. Anything above that, you got a good deal. I need to join your company man if they give 2X, even 2X -3 will do
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 18:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

2X rule is good upto 1-5 years experience.
After that there is no rule.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 18:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ and with enough data to say that this is over stated. NONE of the people i know get 2 times the number of years they have put in except those who got a jackpot
Most of the times its 1.5x years, so for about 6 years 9 lacs is a good salary. Anything above that, you got a good deal. I need to join your company man if they give 2X, even 2X -3 will do

Well, then I should say that I was wrong in my third point about services companies. Most of my knowledge is from product companies.

My data is from knowledge of Cisco, NSN, Motorola, Alcatel-Lucent, Siemens, Nokia, Samsung, Juniper, Oracle, SAP, Intuit like product companies. Also from a few startups.

BTW, are you aware of how much Microsoft or Google pays? 3X to 4X, depending on profile.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote