Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2011, 11:32   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,110
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I want to renew my passport. But the problem is I am based out of Calcutta now and the passport was issued in Hyderabad. Is it necessary that I have to physically visit Hyd to get it renewed?

I called an agent here in Calcutta and he clearly told me that it cannot be renewed through Cal passport office. Can anyone guide me on this? I have an upcoming travel in April 1st week and I have to get the renewed passport by then
You do not have much time (it takes upto two months at times). Apply immediately. If your permanent address is in Hyderabad, then there is no problem, else you have to apply for change of address, which should be possible in Kolkata. The best course would be to visit the Kolkata passport office and have a talk with the PRO or the Passport officer.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 17:15   #182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 220
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You do not have ....PRO or the Passport officer.
Thanks, Aroy, I will take my chances and see what can be done.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 17:25   #183
BHPian
 
saurabhkanchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

I dont know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but here goes. I had got my Passport in 1999, the way i looked back then at 15 is quite different from now. Infact In New Zealand the immigrations officer gave me a look of concern with the passport in his hand. What is the procedure to change the photograph on the passport? how long does it take and what are the costs involved?
saurabhkanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 18:05   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
I dont know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but here goes. I had got my Passport in 1999, the way i looked back then at 15 is quite different from now. Infact In New Zealand the immigrations officer gave me a look of concern with the passport in his hand. What is the procedure to change the photograph on the passport? how long does it take and what are the costs involved?
A normal passport issued in 1999 should be expired by now. Do you have a 20 yr passport? If that is the case, please change it to a new passport as that passport is not valid for travel to many countries including EU and US. You can apply for a re-issue.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 20:27   #185
BHPian
 
saurabhkanchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
A normal passport issued in 1999 should be expired by now. Do you have a 20 yr passport? If that is the case, please change it to a new passport as that passport is not valid for travel to many countries including EU and US. You can apply for a re-issue.
wow!!! that is news to me. Mine is 20 year validity passport. I had recently traveled to New Zealand, Australia but didnot face any problem. Only issue they had was with the photograph. Will check it up with the passport office though.
saurabhkanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 09:27   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
wow!!! that is news to me. Mine is 20 year validity passport. I had recently traveled to New Zealand, Australia but didnot face any problem. Only issue they had was with the photograph. Will check it up with the passport office though.
Yes Vasoo is correct. Nowdays for EU and US only 10 year validity passports would be accepted. You will need to get a new passport with 10 year validity if you plan/wish to travel to these places in near future.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 08:59   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,961
Thanked: 1,971 Times
Red face Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Got a new passport in lieu of the damaged passport. but there is no stamping in the new passport about a valid visa in the old passport.
Had to pay 30/- to the postmaster
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:41   #188
BHPian
 
saurabhkanchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

thanks vasoo and joslicx!!!

Just got an e-mail from the R.P.O, Ahmedabad to get the validity of my passport changed to 10 years immediately. Have been calling up the R.P.O but no calls are being answered. I have maied the R.P.O for the procedure to carry out the necessary procedures, still waiting for a revert.

meanwhile, can somebody please tell me under which category will my application be accepted-re-issue/renewal/miscellaneous category.
and what would be the time taken for this procedure and the costs involved?
saurabhkanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:55   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I want to renew my passport. But the problem is I am based out of Calcutta now and the passport was issued in Hyderabad. Is it necessary that I have to physically visit Hyd to get it renewed?

I called an agent here in Calcutta and he clearly told me that it cannot be renewed through Cal passport office. Can anyone guide me on this? I have an upcoming travel in April 1st week and I have to get the renewed passport by then
A passport can be renewed anywhere in the country irrespective of where the passport was issued from.

I had my previous passport issued at Cochin but my new passport has now been issued from Hyd.

All that you need to do at Kolkota is to submit your forms,alongwith your new address proof and it would be accepted.There is no need for you to travel to Hyd for whatever reasons.For an April travel,it would be sensible to apply under Tatkal wherein you should get the passport in a week to 10 days time.There is no need to go through agents generally,you could do it directly,more transparent atleast.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:46   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Got a new passport in lieu of the damaged passport. but there is no stamping in the new passport about a valid visa in the old passport.
...
There will be no stamp about visas. You just need to carry both passports together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
...
meanwhile, can somebody please tell me under which category will my application be accepted-re-issue/renewal/miscellaneous category.
and what would be the time taken for this procedure and the costs involved?
Just apply for a reissue. Follow the same procedure of getting a new passport instead of an expired one. I think the fees is Rs 1000 for Normal process.

Btw, I got both my family passports renewed and delivered today. The process took less than one month.

Last edited by vasoo : 2nd March 2011 at 13:49.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:06   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,961
Thanked: 1,971 Times
Smile Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

There is news in the today's TOI, Mumbai that the passport application collections will be outsourced to TCS. One ambitious plan to make the passport office paperless. TCS would be responsible for accepting/scanning the applications with correct documents however scrutiny of the documents would be done at the passport offices itself. A helpline to check the status is in the offing. The exact plan of action is yet to be known. Would this impact the applicants, I think so. Since the applicant would not know whether the documents submitted are accepted by the passport office, TCS acceptance does not matter.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:12   #192
BHPian
 
saurabhkanchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

currently, passport seva kendras started in Mangalore, Bangalore and probably chandigarh accept online applications and the document submission/verification is against an appointment taken online. This has made passport applivation fairly easier. I applied in Mangalore for my Uncle and Aunt and this was a very simple procedure. However, this is available only in the cities mentioned.

The TCS outsourcing for passport application IMHO would initially be started in the capital cities and only then move on to the smaller cities.

Does the report mention anything about when this project would be implemented?
saurabhkanchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 18:15   #193
BHPian
 
ajayr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Hi all,

I am from Bangalore and I want to renew my passport by applying online. In addition to renewal I also wish to change the address and include my wife's name. Original passport was issued from Chennai.

My queries:

1) Being from Tamil Nadu where it is not common to expand the person's last name, all my documents (address proof, marriage certificate, degree certificate) carry just my initial as the last name (However, my passport has my full name). Will this be a problem when I renew?

I am asking because recently I had submitted an application to inform change of address for my PAN card (which lists my full name with expanded initials). The address proof that I submitted (telephone bill) had my first name and last name initial only. My application was rejected stating that the last name in my PAN card does not match the address proof.

2) Passport online application address field: I am not able to cram my address into the form, it is just too short! Only 36 characters allowed for house number and street name, but just my flat number + apartment name fills this up. I do not have any space to enter street name and locality. I assume this is the address that will get printed in the passport. Any workarounds? Also, the form asks for the police station. Does the police station name also appear as part of your address in the passport?

Thanks!
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 12:48   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,961
Thanked: 1,971 Times
Question Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Got a new passport in lieu of the damaged passport.
Regarding the old damaged passport which has the lamination on the last page peeled off, would it be OK if I staple the damaged section? Will there be nay questioning/consequences of doing so? Just dont want any further problems with the old passport since I will be needing to carry it along with the new passport as it has a valid visa stamping. BHPains advise.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 13:12   #195
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 786
Thanked: 514 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

I have renewed my passport recently from Bangalore and I had to change my address, add my spouse's name and also cancel ECR. Please find my answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
My queries:

1) Being from Tamil Nadu where it is not common to expand the person's last name, all my documents (address proof, marriage certificate, degree certificate) carry just my initial as the last name (However, my passport has my full name). Will this be a problem when I renew?
This is not a problem. Mine is also the same. In India, 99% of times, your initials are not expanded, even in official documents. So, this should not cause any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
2) Passport online application address field: I am not able to cram my address into the form, it is just too short! Only 36 characters allowed for house number and street name, but just my flat number + apartment name fills this up. I do not have any space to enter street name and locality. I assume this is the address that will get printed in the passport. Any workarounds? Also, the form asks for the police station. Does the police station name also appear as part of your address in the passport?
Thanks!
The address written should be legible but you can use abbreviations (eg: Bannerghatta Road to BG Rd.) Once you are at the PSK, you can make slight modifications to the address and they will show you how your details will look in the passport (preview).
The police station has to be mentioned for police verification. The police station name/place will not appear in your passport.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tatkaal application for passport nirmalts Shifting gears 205 22nd January 2014 14:04
Passport Expired in US bkishore_77 Shifting gears 21 27th May 2011 13:40
Found one Dutch Passport on Street- What to do? Ym-enjn Shifting gears 49 18th January 2009 13:01
Passport Details : Not Secret haryan Shifting gears 13 22nd January 2006 00:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks