Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2016, 23:38   #1936
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi,

My Passport expired in 2015 Feb. I applied for reissue of passport on 6th Jan this year and got it delivered on 9th. My passport was issued on Post police verification basis which means police verification will be done after issue of passport. I also received E mail as well as sms from Passport seva that verification has been initiated.

Probably the removal of requirement for police verification (for reissue) was in case the adress is same as the old passport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Police verification is done on a case by case basis (not sure of the exact parameters considered). My wife and I had gone in for reissue of passport and while I got my new passport without any police verification, my wife had to go through it.

Nothing major to be done. Visit the police station with all the documents submitted for the passport. The officer doing verification will just go through all the documents once, in this case the address proof.

Do visit the mentioned Police station and get the verification done. We missed it the first time and a show cause notice appeared. We then had to reapply for verification and now all is clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Agree with above. The same happened to my wife's reissue of passport. She applied for passport on 6-Jan which went for printing and was dispatched the same day. We got the passport delivered on 8-Jan and on the same day she got a message saying Police Verification has been initiated. I feel it was done as
1. There was a change in address
2. Addition of my name as spouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I guess reissue of passports has been made faster due to parallel processing of Police Verification. On the other hand, we had to go to my son's passport on Monday (11-Jan) which was put on hold as it was awaiting his mom's passport. It had been given for printing only the next day and has been delayed now to holidays in TamilNadu. Expecting it to be delivered only on Monday.
Will we receive call from Police Station for verification or we have to just visit Police station at our convenience ?
What are chances that my mom's passport is dispatched parallel to verification ? Is there any means to know that ?

May be its required in my mom's case as the old passport expired quite a while ago and there is an address change associated. The Passport Govt India website seems to be under maintenance.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th January 2016 at 23:40.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 13:04   #1937
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 184
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Will we receive call from Police Station for verification or we have to just visit Police station at our convenience ?
What are chances that my mom's passport is dispatched parallel to verification ? Is there any means to know that ?

May be its required in my mom's case as the old passport expired quite a while ago and there is an address change associated. The Passport Govt India website seems to be under maintenance.
You will receive a message from the passport office regarding initiation of police verification at the police station. The police station may or may not call you but when you receive the sms, do visit the police station with the papers.

The passport is generally dispatched as soon as it is ready and dispatch does not wait for police report. You will receive an sms from the passport office when your passport is dispatched (I think you have to subscribe for the sms service by paying an additional 30 rupees).

Police verification is certainly done for anyone having a change in address while reissue. I did check the passport website and I could login to my account easily.

Hope this helps
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 19:51   #1938
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
You will receive a message from the passport office regarding initiation of police verification at the police station. The police station may or may not call you but when you receive the sms, do visit the police station with the papers.

The passport is generally dispatched as soon as it is ready and dispatch does not wait for police report. You will receive an sms from the passport office when your passport is dispatched (I think you have to subscribe for the sms service by paying an additional 30 rupees).
Thanks for your input!

I did opt for the additional INR 40 sms service, but mom did not pay the amount neither did anyone ask for the same.

However, will I receive an email if the passport is dispatched ?

Sorry for so many questions, I am not able to assimilate any data from Passport India website ( and feel it could have been better designed ).
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 19:54   #1939
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Thanks for your input!

I did opt for the additional INR 40 sms service, but mom did not pay the amount neither did anyone ask for the same.

However, will I receive an email if the passport is dispatched ?

Sorry for so many questions, I am not able to assimilate any data from Passport India website ( and feel it could have been better designed ).
Yes sir,you will receive an email with dispatch details.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 04:08   #1940
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 863
Thanked: 791 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Will we receive call from Police Station for verification or we have to just visit Police station at our convenience ?
What are chances that my mom's passport is dispatched parallel to verification ? Is there any means to know that ?

May be its required in my mom's case as the old passport expired quite a while ago and there is an address change associated. The Passport Govt India website seems to be under maintenance.
Have you applied for reissue under normal or tatkal?

I had applied for Tatkal. When I got the message for initiation of police verification, it was clearly mentioned that it is post verification. Which means police verification will be done post issue of passport. I believe in case of normal it will not be post verification basis.

What does the SMS say in your case?

Other than SMS, they also send email. In my case it was mentioned that I need to visit the police station in case verification does not happen in 3 weeks.

If you have paid 40 rs and subscribed for SMS service, they will send you SMS when passport printing is initiated. They will again send SMS when it is despatched. You get emails also.

Plus I believe you must have submitted the form online. In which case you can check status from their website too. It is updated pretty quickly.

Last edited by vibbs : 17th January 2016 at 04:10.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 06:51   #1941
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 51
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

I would like to add a bit of info, which is true for the Kolkata passport center, probably for other centers as well.

Senior citizens, i.e. those above 60, can jump the queues and be the first to be served irrespective of how many people are waiting.

A sure-shot way to get through fast is to take a wheel chair. These are available at the entrance to the center (not, unfortunately, at the gate). If a person is on a wheelchair, they allow one more person to accompany him/her. In the case of my sister-in-law, I put her on a wheelchair, and both her attendant and me were allowed to go in.

In Kolkata the only problem is at the gate. There is always a large crowd. They let people enter in batches, i.e. everyone having the same timing, e.g. 10.00, 10.15, 10.30 etc. Unfortunately, people, especially those coming from a distance, land up very early and hence there are people from 3 even 4 batches waiting at the gate and creating a crowd.

I must say that apart from the gate issue, the process is very smooth.
benu9714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 13:51   #1942
BHPian
 
NamoJain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 28
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Hey guys,

Need your help.

Have a handwritten passport that is expiring in 2020.
While applying for a re-issue there is no option of handwritten under 're-issue reasons'.

Kindly suggest what to choose.

Also is this the correct/only way to apply for re-issue of a handwritten PP.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Passport Renewal Procedure-screen-shot-20160119-1.21.08-pm.png  

NamoJain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 14:22   #1943
BHPian
 
sukhoi30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 323
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamoJain View Post
Hey guys,

Need your help.

Have a handwritten passport that is expiring in 2020.
While applying for a re-issue there is no option of handwritten under 're-issue reasons'.

Kindly suggest what to choose.

Also is this the correct/only way to apply for re-issue of a handwritten PP.

Thanks.
You can choose "change in existing personal particulars" option. At the time of your appointment you can mention to the officer that you are changing as it is handwritten. He/She will acknowledge and process the passport.

Yes, all handwritten passports need to be renewed at the earliest as otherwise they will not be valid anymore.

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 19th January 2016 at 14:23. Reason: change in text
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 14:34   #1944
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 1,645 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/29528688.cms for your reference. Handwritten passports are no longer valid - or will soon no longer be.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 14:35   #1945
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Yesterday evening mom got a call for verification which was completed today morning at 10:30 AM. No hassles, pretty easy.
Awaiting till the online status updates.
I am expecting Passport to be at our premises before this weekend.

So, in case there is any change in passport, police verification is required. If there is no change and reissue is applied for before validity expires, most probably there is no verification ( though not sure about it ).

Things have certainly improved, but still a lot improvement can be desired.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 17:13   #1946
BHPian
 
a*ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Had a quick question - If i get my name added and the address changed to our current address in my wife's passport, can i use her passport (after she gets the new updated one) as address proof for renewing my passport?
a*ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 17:22   #1947
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MH14-KA01-TN19
Posts: 69
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Had a quick question - If i get my name added and the address changed to our current address in my wife's passport, can i use her passport (after she gets the new updated one) as address proof for renewing my passport?
Well, wondering why you can't use the same id which you used as proof of residence for your wife while you apply for renewal.
anoop.nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 17:48   #1948
BHPian
 
a*ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
Well, wondering why you can't use the same id which you used as proof of residence for your wife while you apply for renewal.
The rental agreement is in my wife's name. So I can use that for getting her passport renewed.
I have an SBI passbook in my name for the current address but it's just one month old. Apart from that i only have a salaried account in ICICI bank with the current address but they don't provide passbook.
Since my options are limited, wondering if using her passport as an address proof for mine would help or not.
a*ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 18:32   #1949
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 1,645 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
The rental agreement is in my wife's name. So I can use that for getting her passport renewed.
I have an SBI passbook in my name for the current address but it's just one month old. Apart from that i only have a salaried account in ICICI bank with the current address but they don't provide passbook.
Since my options are limited, wondering if using her passport as an address proof for mine would help or not.
http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...onfirmDOB=7001

spouses passport is on the list
also gas connection, employer certificate etc
icici - statement on their letterhead or with their logo, and stamped / signed by the branch ok as well

Last edited by hserus : 27th January 2016 at 18:34.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 19:02   #1950
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
.....have a salaried account in ICICI bank with the current address but they don't provide passbook.....
An endorsed running account statement obtained from the bank (minimum ONE year's transactions listed) is enough for the passbook requirement.

I got a three year one for my renewal and the officer collecting documents chided me for wasting paper
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tatkaal application for passport nirmalts Shifting gears 205 22nd January 2014 14:04
Passport Expired in US bkishore_77 Shifting gears 21 27th May 2011 13:40
Found one Dutch Passport on Street- What to do? Ym-enjn Shifting gears 49 18th January 2009 13:01
Passport Details : Not Secret haryan Shifting gears 13 22nd January 2006 00:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks