Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th October 2005, 17:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Am with Gurkha here - have fun, but not at someone else's expense. They can play Dandia 24 hours a day as long as its away from residential areas and hospitals. LIve and let live.
Very very true. There are a lot of places away from residential areas. Use those.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2005, 18:25   #17
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
And on another note, if the Ganesh pandals were not allowed to function beyond 10:00 p.m., I cannot see what logic allows the dandiyas to go on beyond that time. That would leave a very bad feeling.
Ask me dude, I was at Girgaum till 5.30 am, on Ganpati Visarjan and no drums stopped beating till that time. I dont know what feeling that thing left.

And coming on to Dandiyas, its been years since dandiyas is suffering due to these deadlines. 10 pm was just ridiculous!! There are many things happening in city which needs these deadlines why always dandiyas.
And one thing I dont understand this deadline is there in Gujarat also ... why deadline there ... Gujaratis dont play dandiyas then who will?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 11:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
Ask me dude, I was at Girgaum till 5.30 am, on Ganpati Visarjan and no drums stopped beating till that time. I dont know what feeling that thing left.
That would have sucked ... :( Why was there no rule for that?

Quote:
And coming on to Dandiyas, its been years since dandiyas is suffering due to these deadlines. 10 pm was just ridiculous!! There are many things happening in city which needs these deadlines why always dandiyas.
And one thing I dont understand this deadline is there in Gujarat also ... why deadline there ... Gujaratis dont play dandiyas then who will?
Exactly. But the question is not about the deadlines. If people are able to minimize the noise, then I dont think any one will have a problem. You can do the dandiya and whatever till midnight of the next day too. But it is in our psychology that one pandal/group wants their stuff to be the loudest. Which is why instead of a celebration we have a nuisance on our hands. If there is an internal policing done, I suppose there would have been no reason for a ban. Keep the music low, and no one will give a damn.
Old 5th October 2005, 11:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
If there is an internal policing done, I suppose there would have been no reason for a ban. Keep the music low, and no one will give a damn.
Exactly - but when last year the deadline was 2330 hrs , and when there was no stop , the cops came in to stop the music - the organisers pleaded / bribed / got some political pressure to continue till 0100 hrs.

I mean when we have been given a deadline of 2330 why not, on out own we follow orders ? why do we have to wait for some one to come and force things on us .

Only answer i get is - EGO AND LACK OF SELF DISCIPLINE
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 12:24   #20
BHPian

One of the biggest irony due to all this krap was the Midnight Mass supposed to be held by 22:00...

:WTF: .. i mean, midnight ka definition hi change kar diya
Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 12:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Indian Stretchable Time boss. Kabhi kam, kabhi zyaada. LOL
Old 5th October 2005, 16:33   #22
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Exactly - but when last year the deadline was 2330 hrs , and when there was no stop , the cops came in to stop the music - the organisers pleaded / bribed / got some political pressure to continue till 0100 hrs.

I mean when we have been given a deadline of 2330 why not, on out own we follow orders ? why do we have to wait for some one to come and force things on us .

Only answer i get is - EGO AND LACK OF SELF DISCIPLINE
This thing happens at every event/festival dont point out at dandiyas.

Tell me, did people follow the deadline during Ganpati? No they didnt.
Pleading/Bribing goes on everywhere.
And do you think citizens follows each and every order? When helmet rule was implemented why such huge amount of money was collected as fine.... coz people dont understand quickly. Unless untill things are forced people dont follow.
Only answer i get is - Lack of self discipline and ego.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 18:04   #23
BHPian

I think its more to do with the intentions than the actual celebrations... The general attitude of the folks behind these celebrations is to get the most visibilty.

A public celebration is all about showcasing your strength,spirit, unity call it what-u-may-wish... So why give a damn about others...

duh...did i put my foot in mouth?
Haque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 18:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque
A public celebration is all about showcasing your strength,spirit, unity call it what-u-may-wish... So why give a damn about others...
You have hit it right on the sweet spot dude. Totally right.
Old 5th October 2005, 18:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

And talking about enjoying festivals, I dont think getting drunk while dancing on the streets and setting up loudspeaker "walls" can be termed as enjoying festival.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 18:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
And talking about enjoying festivals, I dont think getting drunk while dancing on the streets and setting up loudspeaker "walls" can be termed as enjoying festival.
unfortunetly in our conuntry for some people very almost no morals, no civic sence
getting drunk while dancing on streets & etting up loudspeaker "walls" equals to one great celebration
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 01:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
then we shouldn't have Ganpathi immersions, firecrackers on diwali, loudspeakers for the mosques...the list goes on.

Tolerance is the only way we can co-exist.
The SC Ruling for a 10PM deadline for loudspeakers is uniform for all (festivals / concerts / shows/ places of worship......). The Mumbai Police had also applied for the ruling to be extended for fire crackers too. Accordingly the sale certain types of fire crackers were to be banned by the Police for Diwali and then on for any occasion. Bursting of crackers was to be prohibited in an area close to educational institues, hospitals, place of worship etc., which i believe was a good move but i wonder how far implementing that would have been a success, but then it would be a good start too.

As a result of the SC ruling for the 10PM deadline, the recently concluded Ganapati Immersions in Mumbai, in certain parts of Mumbai from where the procession passed, the ban was implemented.......the entire scence was less noisy as compared to previous years. But reacting to the rioting that happened in Pune that same time, may be the cops decided to go loosen the slack a bit

As for Dandiyas go, i am not in favour of such events being held till late in the night. The SC is the final authority when it comes to rulings and stating rules for the betterment of teh society and now with 'it' taking back the ban (extending the deadline) makes me think whether its other decisions should be respected & followed! Double Standards!

We keep blaming the system for discrepancies in its functioning and that it cant do anything for the society but then when some law or in this case a ban is implemented 'some' of us from teh same 'we' form forces to oppose these decisions for 'our fun' sake. So then who is to blame ? The System or Us?
SPEED_DEMON82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 10:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This thing happens at every event/festival dont point out at dandiyas.
Tell me, did people follow the deadline during Ganpati? No they didnt.
Pleading/Bribing goes on everywhere.
Yes it was followed in Pune. All those who tried to revolt had the spank of lathis and tear gas to calm them down.
All the "zindabad and murdabad" community realised that its not going to work anymore and resorted to violence and beating down of cops. It was a shame to watch these rogue's trying to go beyond the assigned deadline and then getting violent.
In the end many of those who were involved in violence are facing court!
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 11:36   #29
BANNED

SC are hypocrites. They banned loudspeakers after 10 to prevent all this noise pollution. Now they're letting them go ahead.

But what about all the other people who were affected - concerts, live shows, wedding celebrations, cultural events etc? All these people are forced to suffer because of this 10pm deadline, and now the very culprits are being exempted.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 11:54   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bursting of crackers was to be prohibited in an area close to educational institues, hospitals, place of worship etc., which i believe was a good move but i wonder how far implementing that would have been a success, but then it would be a good start too.
My office is directly opposite a major hospital. 2 weeks ago the great Bal Thakery decided to pop in for a visit with the union leaders or something. Huge banners and hoardings were erected for this (illegal by the way), a stage was made, and speakers put in place for his speech (illegal again). After the speech, which was puncuated with load cheers from the crowd (noise pollution?) the unions burst LOUD crackers for atleast 10 minutes (illegal again isn't it). All this IN the hospital premises, and with Police protection given.

Meanwhile they don't allow a rock concert to go on beyond 10pm even though it is held out in the middle of nowhere.

Forget the notion that justice is blind and all that crap.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote