Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th April 2010, 12:15   #16
BHPian

How about a School ID card, and a copy of the birth certificate as age proof, assuming that the names match in both [ Sometimes they don't especially w.r.t the initials and expanded initials ! ]

I use a photocopy of the passport for my son to use when required. Surprisingly, it was never asked !

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 8th April 2010 at 12:17.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 12:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

If its possible get a Pan card for one them.

Will the boys have a mobile phone with them.
Just in case there is to much non-sense, they can always call up their parents.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 12:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

We all know that as per law everyone traveling on e-tickets should carry a valid id-proof that has to be produced when asked. And the railways to make sure that id proofs are valid, they have prescribed a list of cards that are acceptable. Minors can not have DL or Voters ID but surely can have PAN card or Passport as photo's id.

If the TTE is nice and allows School id's as valid proof of identity ( which IMO they should) the kids wont have any problems or else they will have to pay the exact amount of the ticket as fine.

But why take a chance, if possible cancel the online tickets and try getting another set of tickets over the reservation counter. Well, provided that reservation is still available.

Anyway, good luck to both of them.

Last edited by deky : 8th April 2010 at 12:28.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 12:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
a copy of the birth certificate as age proof
This is a good idea, will ask them to have a copy & yes their names do match; unfortunately the birth certificate doesn't have photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Will the boys have a mobile phone with them.Just in case there is to much non-sense, they can always call up their parents.
Yes they will have with adequate charge on the phone as well as on talk time hence no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Minors can not have DL or Voters ID but surely can have PAN card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If its possible get a Pan card for one them.
No comments

Quote:
or else they will have to pay the exact amount of the ticket as fine.

Worst case I or my be their Dad dealing the TTE along with Father of nation. Fine will be too much.

Quote:
But why take a chance, if possible cancel the online tickets and try getting another set of tickets over the reservation counter. Well, provided that reservation is still available.
Easier said than done. If the tickets were available so easily, I wouldn't have opted for e-ticket in the first place right?

Based on the logic of passport/PAN/DL carrying a school issued photo identification & a copy of it getting attested by a notary should suffice I guess.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 12:55.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 12:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
In case one isnt carrying valid ID proof, the fine will be applicable... were you able to find out how much it is?
If one travels without the E-ticket, fine is only Rs50. However, travelling without ID-proof is treated on the same line as ticket-less travel and fine levied accordingly.

@aargee, I guess you can have the kids carry their SchoolID + RationCard (if available). Most TTEs would understand and anyway this is the best that can be done at this stage.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th April 2010 at 12:59.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:06   #21
BHPian

Why not book an i-ticket instead. Irctc has an option to book i-ticket from the website. The ticket would be couriered to the address specified. I have done that many times.

I-Ticket
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If one travels without the E-ticket, fine is only Rs50. However, travelling without ID-proof is treated on the same line as ticket-less travel and fine levied accordingly.
Well, I'm not sure. I guess the TTE forces you to pay the entire ticket amount; I'm unable to find the railway rules for this.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Kids can carry their School/ College ID - that is usually acceptable - because they wont have a Voters Id or PAN Card or whatever.

And it is certainly a good idea to buy the I Ticket rather than an E Ticket - I tickets in my experience get delivered within 72 hours of your having placed the order booking and having made payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

@aargee, I guess you can have the kids carry their SchoolID + RationCard (if available). Most TTEs would understand and anyway this is the best that can be done at this stage.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 14:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Kids can carry their School/ College ID - that is usually acceptable - because they wont have a Voters Id or PAN Card or whatever.
Shankar, initially I was shocked to see bblost's post on PAN; but on google I found that PAN can be applied for minors too; it got me thinking & I guess I'll apply one for my daughter. I guess I'll stick to school id along with attested copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Why not book an i-ticket instead. Irctc has an option to book i-ticket from the website. The ticket would be couriered to the address specified. I have done that many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And it is certainly a good idea to buy the I Ticket rather than an E Ticket - I tickets in my experience get delivered within 72 hours of your having placed the order booking and having made payment.
The seats are available on iTicket starting from June 1st week ; yes, the delivery of iTicket is made on time.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 14:14.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

youre right. there are certainly cases of minors with PAN Cards.
Especially in case they have an income from a trust or from modelling or acting or something. worth applying for certainly. But remember, once she gets a PAN, and till she has an income, you will have to file NIL Returns for her every year with the IT Dept. B
ut in most cases minors dont have an income and hence wont have a PAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Shankar, initially I was shocked to see bblost's post on PAN; but on google I found that PAN can be applied for minors too; it got me thinking & I guess I'll apply one for my daughter. I guess I'll stick to school id along with attested copy.

The seats are available on iTicket starting from June 1st week ; yes, the delivery of iTicket is made on time.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 09:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Final update
The onward journey tickets had to be cancelled as they were able to get normal tickets.

However the return journey, Chennai to Aluva had to be booked under Tatkal. One of my cousin had the school ID card & had appeared for 10th board exam this year & hence had the hall ticket as proof too. The TTE accepted both the proofs without any word & their journey was smooth.