Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th October 2005, 12:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's (Oct 18th, 2005) Times of India Bangalore edition carried the news on Page 3 that Nimish has withdrawn his complaint and the inquiry has come to the conclusion that Nimish was in an inebriated state and did not have a platform ticket. When he was asked for the same, he assaulted the TT and a fight ensued. The railway personnel involved have been transferred as they are not supposed to break the law themselves. I couldnt find any link to this news on the internet, not even the TOI website.

Keeping the possibility that he was pressurised to agree to all the above aside, if the inquiry's conclusion is true, then its a lot sadder state of affairs that we are in.

Regards
Amitoj
PS: Nothing on his blog either.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 14:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Found one news article on this in DH:
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...2420051017.asp
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 17:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

the guys written in his blog that he decided to withdraw the complaint becuse he felt the railway staff were genuinely sorry for what happened. After he withdrew the complaint the railway staff did a turnaround and issued a press release saying the complaint was withdrawn because the guy was at fault! Simran has given the link to the blog earlier. Check it out. Serves him right for trying to be a mahatma.

Last edited by amit : 18th October 2005 at 17:51.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 17:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
the guys written in his blog that he decided to withdraw the complaint becuse he felt the railway staff were genuinely sorry for what happened. After he withdrew the complaint the railway staff did a turnaround and issued a press release saying the complaint was withdrawn because the guy was at fault!
1) Even though you guys have confirmed it over TV and elsewhere, I am still suspicious about the whole story.
2) This is funniest thing to do. Withdraw a complaint after raising so much of hue and cry about the whole episode (read TV interviews, e-mails, blogs)?
However corrupt they are, I really doubt if few policemen will simply walk over and start beating crap out of you, for no reason. There has to be other side of the story.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 22:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
1) Even though you guys have confirmed it over TV and elsewhere, I am still suspicious about the whole story.
2) This is funniest thing to do. Withdraw a complaint after raising so much of hue and cry about the whole episode (read TV interviews, e-mails, blogs)?
However corrupt they are, I really doubt if few policemen will simply walk over and start beating crap out of you, for no reason. There has to be other side of the story.
I agree. Somehow after all the hungama that got created.. its a strangely tame ending.
Dyslexic_Typist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 11:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

I second that. No policeman in his right mind will stoop to this level....there definitely is something fishy going in...
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 12:17   #22

Default Here's another story...

A cop in Mumbai raped a 15 year old rag picker begging at a signal near the International Airport... It just gets worse doesn't it?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/?
Old 19th October 2005, 13:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic_Typist
A cop in Mumbai raped a 15 year old rag picker begging at a signal near the International Airport... It just gets worse doesn't it?
aaaarrrggghhh....it sure does... i think it's about bloody time a "citizen protection law" was constituted..somebody should draw the line at the cops (or any govt. official) being so daammn authoritative...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 13:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
citizen protection law
And who does the protection???
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 13:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And who does the protection???
citizens should be able to protect themselves, by any means necessary, and not have to leave everything to the cops, even if the person at fault is a cop himself....

now, this might seem unlogical looking at the cons; imagine what would happen if the power to retaliate came into aam junta's hands...but you see, most of the officials, who have authoritative power, misuse it; the aam junta wouldn't as much, as they don't have the time or the need to misuse a "citizen protection law" where they can defend themselves by any means necessary...

and of course, this is just a hi-pathetical opinion...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 16:00   #26

[/quote] but you see, most of the officials, who have authoritative power, misuse it; the aam junta wouldn't as much, as they don't have the time or the need to misuse a "citizen protection law" where they can defend themselves by any means necessary...

and of course, this is just a hi-pathetical opinion...[/
QUOTE]

I am not so sure you know... Power can be quite intoxicating.. whether its the 'aam junta' or the not so 'aam junta'...

The sad part is that not too many of us follow the law in spirit... "if I find a loop hole, I'll use it to my advantage" kind of thing..

The poll here on Jumping Traffic lights is quite reflective..