Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 01:37   #376
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Guys,

Is it true that you need to open a savings account in SBI (if you don't have, already) to start a PPF from it?
Heard it somewhere.
All one needs to do is open a PPF account, unless that particular branch of SBI is using this as a means of getting additional account holders.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 01:47   #377
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Guys,

Is it true that you need to open a savings account in SBI (if you don't have, already) to start a PPF from it?
Heard it somewhere.
Like said before - NO. To elaborate further you need the SBI account to link the PPF account and use ECS mandate for deposit. If you dont have the savings account you will have to physically go and deposit in the PPF account. (or withdraw). The savings account will also give you facility for net banking. You would be able to track your PPF account from that online.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 15:23   #378
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face Infrastructure bonds - Are they worth buying

Anyone brought the IDFC Infrastructure Bonds as yet? Any reviews on the same? Is it worthwhile to buy them now or wait as more such offers are expected in future.

Frankly I am against the 5 year lock in period for the Bond. Also the tax rebate for this year would be a max 20K. Pls find the link below for some insights

High income taxpayers can gain from infrastructure bonds - Columns - livemint.com
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 19:07   #379
BHPian
 
abdriver2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 330
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anyone brought the IDFC Infrastructure Bonds as yet? Any reviews on the same? Is it worthwhile to buy them now or wait as more such offers are expected in future.

Frankly I am against the 5 year lock in period for the Bond. Also the tax rebate for this year would be a max 20K. Pls find the link below for some insights

High income taxpayers can gain from infrastructure bonds - Columns - livemint.com
I am waiting for LIC to come out with their bonds. IDFC is closing soon and we already have L&T in the fray. I think LIC should come out with their bonds soon. Lock in is always 5yrs, but L&T is redeemable at 7yrs instead of 10yrs for IDFC.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 19:23   #380
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

IDFC also has a couple of bond series that are redeemable after 5 years.

Speculation is that other infrastructure bonds might offer a better return but if you are sitting on spare cash and not investing in stocks or mutual funds right now then why not buy the IDFC bonds? They are rated "LAAA" which is the highest rating.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:28   #381
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 293
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Confused between Growth and div-reinvestment option

Iam planning to start a SIP in MFs through my bank savings account. Need some help to clear some doubts.

1) Which is better option in long term. Growth or Div reinvestment?
2) Is there any brokerage charges levied by bank for installments in SIPs or should i deal directly with the fund managers, like Reliance MFs to avoid any brokerage charges , if any?

Thanks in advance
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:55   #382
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Don't think any fund has brokerage now. With bank's site you can buy/redeem mutiple funds.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:27   #383
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Growth and Div reinvestment is actually one and the same thing. Basically whatever you earn is again put back into the fund. Which one are you planning to invest in?

I too am thinking of starting another SIP. I already have one in HDFC Top 200
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:41   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Growth and Div reinvestment is actually one and the same thing.
Not true. Tax treatment is different.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:53   #385
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Iam planning to start a SIP in MFs through my bank savings account. Need some help to clear some doubts.

1) Which is better option in long term. Growth or Div reinvestment?
2) Is there any brokerage charges levied by bank for installments in SIPs or should i deal directly with the fund managers, like Reliance MFs to avoid any brokerage charges , if any?

Thanks in advance
1) Growth is a better option if you doing SIP for long term and dont have any short term goals. If so then Dividend option is good. But with only those fund who have a good dividenfd paying track record. In all other cases Growth option is the right choice.
2) No charges by bank. You can save the entry load charges if directly approaching the Fund branch office in your city. Otherwise if you go through agent then you will have to pay the entry load.

Check out valueresearchonline.com or moneycontrol.com for good star rated funds.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:56   #386
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not true. Tax treatment is different.
Could you elaborate a little on how the tax treatment is different?
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:57   #387
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Could you elaborate a little on how the tax treatment is different?
Dividend Reinvestment v/s Growth Let your taxes decide -
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:04   #388
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Iam planning to start a SIP in MFs through my bank savings account. Need some help to clear some doubts.

1) Which is better option in long term. Growth or Div reinvestment?
2) Is there any brokerage charges levied by bank for installments in SIPs or should i deal directly with the fund managers, like Reliance MFs to avoid any brokerage charges , if any?

Thanks in advance
For SIP go for the option in which the dividend declared is invested back in fund. Only for Tax saving MF's make sure that you take the dividend out instead of re-investing the same.

The rule now is that the brokers will no longer be paid any commisions by the Fund houses. So whatever the charges are of the brokers, they will collect from you.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:04   #389
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 293
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1) Growth is a better option if you doing SIP for long term and dont have any short term goals. If so then Dividend option is good. But with only those fund who have a good dividenfd paying track record. In all other cases Growth option is the right choice.
2) No charges by bank. You can save the entry load charges if directly approaching the Fund branch office in your city. Otherwise if you go through agent then you will have to pay the entry load.

Check out valueresearchonline.com or moneycontrol.com for good star rated funds.
Thanks ghodlur. Doesn't bank act as an agent when SIP is debited through the savings account? Entry load have to be paid in each installment?
ontheroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 17:57   #390
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,268
Thanked: 4,423 Times
Default

Guys, how do we go about investing in Gold without purchasing it physically ? What kind of a demat account, if at all, is needed for transacting in Gold ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles IQBAL VEERJI Motorbikes 112 27th June 2017 11:53
EDGE in India aseem Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 15th June 2006 06:05
EDGE usage VMG Gadgets, Computers & Software 5 20th February 2006 10:07
EDGE in Mobile VMG Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 4th December 2005 14:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks