Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 13:55   #451
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,818
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

My parents introduced me to financial planning at an early age. They would take me along on their bank visits, and once i got older (late teens), encouraged me to help them with the procedures.

My father is a meticulous financial planner, and has just retired from full-time work a year ago, and now consults as an SME at his leisure. His prudence over the years has enabled him to now have a liability-free life in a comfortable home with a steady assured income from his accumulated assets during his golden years.

The first financial lesson he taught me in life: "Never spend money you don't have, or money you expect to earn at a later point in time. Wait till you've actually earned it".

Now that I see people drowning in Credit Card or other forms of debt on a daily basis, I thank him every day for imparting sound financial sense early in my life.

I started working 5 years ago, and have since invested a good chunk of my earnings in PPF, Life Insurance, a retirement plan and some liquid funds (about 6 months of living expenses).

It's easy to be a spendthrift, especially in today's world with the barrage of enticement thrown at us through all possible media. Wants are endless, but money isn't. So anybody who earns a paycheck (however large), if you don't plan your finances, you'll surely be sorry someday you didn't do it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th March 2013 at 13:58.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 19:07   #452
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
BTW, from FY2012, you can invest 1lakh annually in PPF (till now it is 70K). Think of it as a nest-egg for the future and squirrel away whatever you can annually into it, enabling savings, tax-breaks and ofcourse the power of compounding will ensure good returns.
Just to mention that from FY 2014-2015 the subscription amount was increased from 1lakh to 1.5lakh.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 21:29   #453
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 296
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Have a quick question here guys. I have an outstanding personal loan of 1 lakh set to complete by next year. I have the said amount in cash right now. Does it make sense in paying off the loan or let the EMI run through its course till next year?

1. If I pay off the loan, I can put the same amount in RD which will get me some savings next year.

2. If I decide to keep the EMI, I can put the cash in hand in a FD or some other scheme which will again give me some savings next year.

Which is the better way to save? Need your help..
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 21:33   #454
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

This depends on how much interest is outstanding on the loan. What was the total tenure of the loan? Interest component depends on duration of loan.

If the interest from FD / RD is higher than then loan interest component, then it makes sense to invest instead of closing the loan.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 21:39   #455
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

If it's on your mind, it means you need to get rid of it. I feel burdened if there's even a minor EMI amount hanging on my head, so I pay everything off as soon as I can.

I'd prefer being loan-less and at a loss (of interest amount) than have an EMI.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 10:59   #456
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 296
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This depends on how much interest is outstanding on the loan. What was the total tenure of the loan? Interest component depends on duration of loan.

If the interest from FD / RD is higher than then loan interest component, then it makes sense to invest instead of closing the loan.
The total tenure of the loan was 2 years and I still have an year on it. Do we get any advantage on pre closing a personal loan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
If it's on your mind, it means you need to get rid of it. I feel burdened if there's even a minor EMI amount hanging on my head, so I pay everything off as soon as I can.

I'd prefer being loan-less and at a loss (of interest amount) than have an EMI.
Same here as well. I don't like my bills to be outstanding. But if there aren't going to be any advantages in pre closing the loan, I want to at least make some profit out of an existing saving. Assuming an 8.5 or 8.75 ROI in a FD/RD, I guess I should be able to get somewhere around 9k by next year.

It doesn't seem much, but it's a start.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 11:10   #457
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
The total tenure of the loan was 2 years and I still have an year on it. Do we get any advantage on pre closing a personal loan?
Quite the opposite, actually. Some banks may actually charge you a pre-payment penalty. You need to check with your bank regarding the same.

You can also consider partial pre-payment in case you want to reduce the interest burden but still wish to have some amount to yourself.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 12:07   #458
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 546
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Hi Guys,

I'm in a dilemma on the following:
I'm married and now have a little angel/baby in my life recently. My wife is non-working and i don't have any debt as of now. I plan to construct a house in around a year time for that i have to start savings from now on till 1 year for 6 lakhs savings. I already have a 5 lakh FD. So, this comes to around 20% of the total home construction cost, which is 50 lakhs. Rest i have to take a home loan.

After construction, due to unknown job surety, is it better to first clear the home loan debt completely without any savings or with home loan debt repaying, I need to save into some SIPs also? Which is the best option for me?

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 5th March 2015 at 12:09.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:36   #459
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 296
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Quite the opposite, actually. Some banks may actually charge you a pre-payment penalty. You need to check with your bank regarding the same.

You can also consider partial pre-payment in case you want to reduce the interest burden but still wish to have some amount to yourself.

Rohan
Yeah they do. But I checked and I can pay it in full after next month without any penalty charges.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:42   #460
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,648
Thanked: 1,957 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm in a dilemma on the following...SIPs also? Which is the best option for me?

Thanks,
Ramki
20% of 50 Lakhs home loan is 10 Lakhs. Since you already have 5 Lakhs in hand already, you'll only need 5 Lakhs more. Inorder to get 5 Lakhs in next 12 months, you've to set aside an average of Rs 40000 every month (exclude the interest it accumulates for now).

Start from the above calculation & work out on the number of months you need to accumulate that wealth or the budget of the house or if you can pool in some more additional money from elsewhere.

And the old Indian tradition says...lesser the loan more the peace of mind

Last edited by aargee : 5th March 2015 at 14:43.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:58   #461
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 3,152 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
After construction, due to unknown job surety, is it better to first clear the home loan debt completely without any savings or with home loan debt repaying, I need to save into some SIPs also? Which is the best option for me?
As per my view, each person will have different priority and savings pattern. Hence asking about a savings plan may not be useful. It would be like asking which car to buy with a budget of say 10 lakh.

Anyways, regarding the SIP's. I would divide the money and invest in 3 or 4 large cap MF's since I would not be needing that money for short term.

Also, in around 4 years or so, you will have to budget money for child education. Any extra money saved after SIP + monthly expense + EMI's will be used for pre-payment. I would not give pre-payment much priority if the same is happening after couple of years of taking loan.

Pre-payment, especially few years after taking loan is a loss making proposition since you would have already paid huge part of interest already to bank.

Also, do take a term insurance of a bigger amount in case you have not. Do note that it works cheaper to get a normal term insurance instead of going for any money back schemes.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 15:00   #462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Pay it off please! Personal loans generally come at a much higher rate than car loan (and even home loan) rates. You won't earn anywhere close in FD interest (that too after TDS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Yeah they do. But I checked and I can pay it in full after next month without any penalty charges.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 15:07   #463
BHPian
 
ramki067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 546
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
20% of 50 Lakhs home loan is 10 Lakhs. Since you already have 5 Lakhs in hand already, you'll only need 5 Lakhs more. Inorder to get 5 Lakhs in next 12 months, you've to set aside an average of Rs 40000 every month (exclude the interest it accumulates for now).

Start from the above calculation & work out on the number of months you need to accumulate that wealth or the budget of the house or if you can pool in some more additional money from elsewhere.

And the old Indian tradition says...lesser the loan more the peace of mind
Thanks aargee. I've already planned it to get that 5 lakhs that i need in a years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As per my view, each person will have different priority and savings pattern. Hence asking about a savings plan may not be useful. It would be like asking which car to buy with a budget of say 10 lakh.

Anyways, regarding the SIP's. I would divide the money and invest in 3 or 4 large cap MF's since I would not be needing that money for short term.

Also, in around 4 years or so, you will have to budget money for child education. Any extra money saved after SIP + monthly expense + EMI's will be used for pre-payment. I would not give pre-payment much priority if the same is happening after couple of years of taking loan.

Pre-payment, especially few years after taking loan is a loss making proposition since you would have already paid huge part of interest already to bank.

Also, do take a term insurance of a bigger amount in case you have not. Do note that it works cheaper to get a normal term insurance instead of going for any money back schemes.
Thanks Suhas. I want to pay the whole home loan in 5-6 years time after taking loan. So after i clear the loan, is it better to start the SIPs? I'll be 36 this Aug.
Also, i do have a term insurance from Aegon for 50 Lakhs and have started one PPF account 2 years ago.

Thanks,
Ramki
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 15:26   #464
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,724
Thanked: 9,216 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Pre-closing home loans may be a bad idea since you won’t be able to claim income tax benefits thereafter. Unless you have sufficient other sources to claim IT benefits.

Best to pre-close a car loan ASAP.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 15:43   #465
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 3,152 Times
Default Re: Are most of us living on the edge? time to plan up things for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Thanks Suhas. I want to pay the whole home loan in 5-6 years time after taking loan. So after i clear the loan, is it better to start the SIPs? I'll be 36 this Aug.
It is mostly a matter of preference. Even I would like to close a loan as soon as possible. However, you will be ending up loosing money that way.
Since you will be paying up maximum interest component in first couple of years, you would have already paid up interest for most of the pre-paid amount.

Yes, there will be difference in total amount and tenure based on your pre-payment. However you will have to take make a decision based on the time you are having surplus money.

Do note that you can claim IT benefit from loan component, if you invest the surplus in a good fund you will be easily able to get more returns than the interest you already paying (paid) to the bank.

I would not suggest on waiting till closure of loan for investment, since with a 3 year period to get capital gains tax exemption you are looking at a period of 5-6 years (loan closure target) + 3 years (tax free ) = 10 years for your investments to mature.

My approach would be -

Put maximum possible cash now and decrease loan amount.
Pre-pay if possible in initial months.
Start investments (SIP?).
Corpus for child education, emergency.
Pre-pay with any amount which is left after above.

Also, I would suggest to get another term insurance too, provided you are not taking another insurance along with loan.

Since your loan amount will be around 40 lac, after closing the loan only 10 lac will be left with your dependents.

For checking the pre-payment part you can try this loan calculator.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles IQBAL VEERJI Motorbikes 112 27th June 2017 11:53
EDGE in India aseem Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 15th June 2006 06:05
EDGE usage VMG Gadgets, Computers & Software 5 20th February 2006 10:07
EDGE in Mobile VMG Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 4th December 2005 14:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks