Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th February 2012, 06:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian

Any reviews on the book - "Mumbai to London on A Vespa" ?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 14:42   #17
BHPian

Smile re: Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian

First a Dream by Jim Clayton

Jim Clayton

PDF version available free to download(authentic version!) - Talks about his automobile dealerships and motor homes.
Sedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:16   #18
BHPian

Another good read if you are interested in F1 is -

Burning Rubber: The Extraordinary Story of Formula One
Author: Charles Jennings

I just sometimes got lost in the Author's British humor and some parts in the book are way too full of statistics but a good read on the whole.
PGNarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 17:02   #19
BHPian

The fall of Detroit was a great read. It tells about how Japanese makers conquered the US auto Industry. Toyota, Honda and then Nissan. Made very good read.
rangarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 20:28   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please avoid Shift (Nissan).

I'm a huge fan of Carlos Ghosn and bought the book with high expectations; well, it's hardly a book for a petrolhead (unlike the books I've listed earlier). I was yawning through most of it. Sure, it's got some solid management stuff, but there are books that do it better.

For petrolheads looking at some solid insider car stuff, it's a thumbs down. Nowhere as captivating as Iacocca's biography (for instance).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:37   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to read a car book that'll blow your mind? One that you just can't keep down?

I highly recommend American Wheels, Chinese Roads by Michael Dunne. It's about GM's entry into the Chinese market and is of particular interest to us because:

1. China is our neighbour

2. There are some similarities between India & China

Dunne has superb narrative skills, sometimes informal (but in a welcome way). A deeply engrossing read.
Old 24th April 2012, 13:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

One book I would recommend is Wheels by Arthur hailey. Although its fiction but it gives you an excellent insight into how a car gets assembled and the million other issues that a car maker faces. Probably one can understand the chaos that happened in MSIL last year.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 00:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Been downloading some great books on Kindle lately. Here's the pick of the lot for petrol-heads:

Once Upon a Car: The Fall and Resurrection of America's Big Three Auto Makers. Mindblowing account of all that happened behind the scenes with GM (particularly Wagoner), Ford (particularly Mulally) and Chrsyler in 2005+. How the liquidity crunch nearly wiped GM out and the options they considered. If you have even a passing interest in the car industry, this book is a must-read.

Car Guys versus Bean Counters (Bob Lutz) is apparently another good book. I read the first two chapters and it seems interesting. But will reserve final verdict for when I complete it.
I read them both. The first one is a good read. The second one by Bob Lutz is partially candid and partially pompous. He does spill a lot of beans on GM though, in his straight talking manner in the book. He speaks very less about his days in BMW, Chrysler and Ford. Overall, teatime reading at best.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 00:28   #24
BHPian

I would highly recommend "My Mercedes is not for sale: From Amsterdam to Ouagadougou...An Auto-Misadventure Across the Sahara".

Just about 200 odd pages, and hard to keep down once you twist the ignition key on this book. Full marks to the peppy spirited author for presenting this dangerous and twisted travelogue as a hilarious and entertaining story.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:25   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to read a book that will blow your mind?

Senna vs Prost by Malcolm Folley

If anyone knows the art of narration, it's Folley. His style of writing is absolutely gripping and I found it VERY VERY difficult to keep the book down after lunch break everyday.

Read it even if you aren't much into Formula 1. Senna & Prost are legendary personalities who you just have to know more about.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wheels by Arthur Hailey. Released long ago but brings insights of the auto industry and I still have vivid memories of that book read once upon a time.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 07:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
Wheels by Arthur Hailey. Released long ago but brings insights of the auto industry and I still have vivid memories of that book read once upon a time.
I recently read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and the sentimental guy that I am, I cried.

A story told by a dog Enzo (?Ferrari). Enzo knows he is different. Like other dogs, he thinks you can't beat chasing birds and squirrels once in a while -- but, at the same time, he is almost human.

Thru listening to the words of his master, a racing car driver, Enzo has gained a real insight into the complex world of people. What he sees is that life, like racing isn't simply about going fast.

This extraordinary novel has captured hearts and minds and is a publishing phenomenon.

Tears and smiles

Rom
DrRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 20:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Just finished reading Lee Iacocca's Autobiograhy. was a very interesting piece of literature.

Any other recommended reading for a car buff? I dont want tech stuff. Things ordinary people can read

I'm pretty sure there is a similar thread somewhere, but couldnt find one myself. if it exists, please merge,
Thanks!
One of my all time favourites.I never get tired reading the CEO's autobiography. His family's entry into the USA from Italy, the settlement , his initial years at Ford and so on. The Ford Mustang story and how Mr Lee made it an iconic car is vintage Iacocca. The touching part is about the mental trauma he faced at the hands of Henry Ford II, whose eccentricity made Mr Lee vacate his plush office and get posted to an obscure building to an obscure post. His family's support all through and how he had to quit the job at Ford were touching.
The turnaround at Chrysler also makes quite an interesting reading as one can gauge how a loss making, full of fat and deadwood institution is trimmed and made profit making.
Something about Mr lee Iacocca here:

Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian-picture-308.jpg

(from Forbes/ Metropolis on Saturday 17-18 Dec 1994)
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 16:00   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian

Just got my copy of Mary Walton's Car : A Drama of the American Workplace . After a LONG time, I'm reading a traditional paper book (am a diehard Kindle fan). But this book just never made it to the digital format.

It comes highly recommended from various folk. I honestly want to leave work and get started right away!

Amazon Link
Old 31st January 2013, 10:18   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just got my copy of Mary Walton's Car : A Drama of the American Workplace
Completed.

Outstanding book if you want to know how cars are made (design, production, the people factor, technicalities etc.).

On the other hand, if you are looking at the business & management side of things, you'll be disappointed. Consider the other options on this thread instead (Iacocca, Maruti, Once Upon a Car etc.).