Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th February 2013, 22:26   #31
ACS
BHPian

Default Re: Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Completed.

Outstanding book if you want to know how cars are made (design, production, the people factor, technicalities etc.).

On the other hand, if you are looking at the business & management side of things, you'll be disappointed. Consider the other options on this thread instead (Iacocca, Maruti, Once Upon a Car etc.).
GTO, I have been looking for a car book "The Book of Car" by Readers Digest. As per my dad, it is a 80's book and very well organized collection for every car enthusiasts. I have searched in Internet, but no luck. Do you have any idea on this book? I have asked this in the Book thread under Shifting Gears but no response received yet.
Thanks in advance.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 18:34   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
GTO, I have been looking for a car book "The Book of Car" by Readers Digest. As per my dad, it is a 80's book and very well organized collection for every car enthusiasts. I have searched in Internet, but no luck. Do you have any idea on this book? I have asked this in the Book thread under Shifting Gears but no response received yet.
Thanks in advance.
It's a good book but a bit dated for current automotive technicalities. Most cars depicted are old models, however the mechanical section would be fairly relevant as is the section on good driving technique. Was one of the best when launched.

Incidentally, Reader's Digest itself downed it's shutters last month after being referred to Chapter 11 in the US.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 20:15   #33
ACS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Incidentally, Reader's Digest itself downed it's shutters last month after being referred to Chapter 11 in the US.
Thanks VeyronSuperSprt for the response!

Is there anyway to get a soft copy(I know none of the download links is working)from anyone in the Team-BHP? Not sure, but it will be great if it happens so.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 20:20   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post

Thanks VeyronSuperSprt for the response!

Is there anyway to get a soft copy(I know none of the download links is working)from anyone in the Team-BHP? Not sure, but it will be great if it happens so.
Damn, my mum gave my old old off to my nephew last week
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 10:18   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the other hand, if you are looking at the business & management side of things, you'll be disappointed.
I was disappointed with Mary Walton's Car and needed a good "car book" dose. Started reading The Maruti Story : RC Bhargava again This time, on the Kindle (now available as an e-book on Amazon & Flipkart).

The Maruti Story is a must-read for any Indian petrolhead.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2013 at 10:22.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 10:09   #36
BHPian

Finished reading "I invented the Modern Age" by Richard Snow. It is a biography on Henry Ford!

I picked it up since I like reading non-fiction and the title seemed to be very interesting but the book did not keep up!

Some sections about car history and it's development in America were very interesting - like; The Selden Suit, Development of the Internal Combustion Engine and of course the Ford Model T, the Rogue Plant among some other events.

However, on the whole I found going through the book a little tiresome and towards the end just wanted it to finish. Also the book exposes some of Ford's eccentricities and his stubborn unwillingness to change the Model T in any way, which seemed to punch too many holes in a figure that I admire.
PGNarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 16:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

Gautam Sen has come out with a new book called A Million Cars for A Billion People. The book takes us through the history and evolution of the people's car in the Indian automobile scene.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:00   #38
BHPian

Hi Everyone, is there a book which can help a novice come up to speed with the mechanics of an automobile. So a one stop book which can clearly explain in basic terms (but still being technical) how does an engine work, what are the basic parts and their functions, how does the steering system, the transmission, suspension etc work?

I know internet is the best for such learnings, what with videos, voice overs etc. But it helps to have all this information in publish form to read anytime.
rrsteer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:54   #39
BHPian

Small wonder- The Making of Nano by Chacko Philip is a book that enjoyed the most.

Prior to reading this book, I would always mock Nano whenever I saw it on the road.

After reading this I had a new found respect for Nano. It is a moving account on the struggles and obstacles the Tata Motors and their engineers had to overcome to bring their dream product on to the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Everyone, is there a book which can help a novice come up to speed with the mechanics of an automobile.......
You can go through this link Books and Web Resources on Vehicle & Automobile tech

Automotive Mechanics by Crouse and Anglin is a good place to start.
Auswechseln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 09:34   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Gautam Sen has come out with a new book called A Million Cars for A Billion People. The book takes us through the history and evolution of the people's car in the Indian automobile scene.
Read a couple of chapters of this book. Interesting read, and a good insight into the history of the Indian car scene. However, it lacks depth. For instance, there's no real detail about the 309 & Uno fiasco of the nineties, Opel's failure, Daewoos exit etc. These were very important events.

A decent quick read. Will give it 3 stars out of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Everyone, is there a book which can help a novice come up to speed with the mechanics of an automobile. So a one stop book which can clearly explain in basic terms (but still being technical) how does an engine work, what are the basic parts and their functions, how does the steering system, the transmission, suspension etc work?
This book is the kind of guide you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
Small wonder- The Making of Nano by Chacko Philip is a book that enjoyed the most.
Thanks! Hope it's available on Kindle soon. I gave up on paper a long time back.
Old 9th July 2016, 10:19   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The highly rated "Arrogance and Accords: The Inside Story of the Honda Scandal" book is now available on Kindle!

Hard copies of this book cost over $300. Bought it for Rs. 400 on Kindle. Looking forward to reading it in the monsoons.

Amazon Link
Old 10th July 2016, 14:05   #42
BHPian

For those interested in vintage & classic cars, George Bishop's "Classic Cars" is a good addition to one's collection. A fat, lavishly illustrated hard cover book, it covers most classic cars including the Minerva, Maybach, Talbot-Lago and most others of similar vintage. I see Amazon .com has it in its listing, but notes that it is "currently out of stock".

I bought it a long, long time ago from the Flora Fountain footpath stalls in Mumbai, sometime in the 80's.
shashanka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:29   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Linking to the book on Kanwar / Apollo Tyres & my review of it - link (The man behind the wheel: Biography of Apollo Tyres' Kanwar).