Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th April 2010, 20:20   #1
BHPian

Default Hyderabad / Secunderabad - Business Visit, What to see/do?

I am in Secunderabad for just 1.5 days next week.
This would be my first ever visit to the twin cities.
I reach first thing on Monday morning and leave Tuesday afternoon.
I am scheduled to be in a meeting most of the afternoon on Monday;
What must I see in the remaining available time (Tourist spots I must see)?
Wife and son would like souvenirs from the city. Any gift suggestions? Clothes etc.
Where to eat traditional food (I am pure veg)? I am dying to try an authentic Hyderabadi Biryani. Please suggest so that I would not be disappointed.
I will be staying at a hotel on MG Road, Secunderabad.
Travelling via rickshaws only, any advice?

Looking forward to suggestions and making this a memorable visit.

(Mods, please move this thread to a suitable location if this is not it, Thanks)
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 00:03   #2

Default Hyderabad - the highlights

Raja,

The highlights of a quick trip to Hyderabad are:

- The Golconda sound and light show (7pm most days.)
- Charminar-Mecca Masjid - Laad Bazaar-Chowmahalla Palace. Laad Bazaar is famous for glass bangles - which answers your what to buy question perhaps?
- Birla Mandir. Very close to it is Kalanjali - which has a fine selection of sari's including some native Andhra designs and styles.

I would have added Salarjung Museum and a couple other things - but you would run out of time - this is the 20-20 version!

Food:
Authentic "vegetarian" Hyderabadi Biryani doesn't exist. You'd likely be disappointed with it anywhere you try it.

There are some vegetarian dishes and sweets that you can try:
- Baghare Baigan is a typical Hyderabadi dish
- Khubani Ka Meetha (made from Dates) and Double Ka Meetha (made from bread)

I apologize - I am not a fan of any of these dishes so I might not be able to give you the best recommendations. If you are short on time, Hyderabad House has outlets all around town and will probably do a passable job of these things.

Circling back to your gifting question:
- Bangles and sari as referenced above.
- Karachi Bakery's fruit biscuits
- If you have biryani lover's back home you want to please - Paradise in Secunderabad will pack your Biryani in dry ice to last the journey back home

Hope this helps! Enjoy your stay.

~foodie
foodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Since you're staying on MG Road, you can have authentic Hyd biriyani at Paradise Hotel which is on SP Road. Its quite nearby, actually. I've heard their veg biriyani is also good, but i havent tried it, being non-veg.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 11:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since you're staying on MG Road, you can have authentic Hyd biriyani at Paradise Hotel which is on SP Road. Its quite nearby, actually. I've heard their veg biriyani is also good, but i havent tried it, being non-veg.
Avoid vegetarian biryani an Paradise. All you get is huge chunks of 'Aaaloo' in the name of vegetables. In fact, most of us avoid even the non-veg biryani from there. There are lots of other better places for Biryani.

@Raja: suggestions for eating out can be found here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...erabad-99.html

For sightseeing, You can try out few of these places:
A movie show at IMAX. (the experience is new to many people)

After the show, Lunch at a well known/popular restaurant for Hyderabadi Biryani (it has to be mutton)

Visit Laad Bazaar and Charminar. (better to do this during day time even though it will be burning hot). Once done with Laad Bazaar, The Chowmahalla Palace is at walkable distance and please note that they close for visitors at 5:00 PM.

After that, you can head back to Eat Street on Necklace road or at Lumbini
Park and take a boat ride on the hussain sagar and check out the Buddha Statue too. (cost Normal ride is around 40 and speed boats around 200)

On the same road as Lumbini Park, and next to Prasads is the NTR Gardens. Good for spending some time in the evening after the boat ride. Try out this garden only after the sun has set since it has beautiful lighting.

Birla Mandir is also diagonally opposite to Lumbini Park.

Other destinations - Golkonda Fort & Qutb Shahi Tombs.
Both Golkonda fort and Lumbini Park have shows in the evening (but I find them boring)

If you will be interested in heritage sites not frequented by tourists, there are few which we have listed here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html (Hyderabad - Heritage Sites - A Lazy (Nizami) Travelogue)

AFAIK, There are not many sight-seeing places in Secunderabad and you will have to travel towards Hyderabad most of the time.

P.S: Instead of Autos, try to book a A/C cab for the whole day as the city is currently being cooked by the sun (42.5 Degree C for the last few days). The cost will be around 800-1500.

Hope this helps!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 12:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

@Raja, welcome to Hyderabad. The city of foodies

As Foodie mentioned, there is no "Veg" Biryani. As a matter of fact, Chicken Biryani is also not a Biryani. Biryani always has to be Mutton.

I think you can follow Pulsar 56 recommendations.

a) Watch a movie at IMAX ( 4 kms from MG Road)

b) Boat Ride at Lumbini Park ( <1KM from IMAX Theatre)

c) Followed by a dinner at Eat Street ( 1km from Lumbini Theatre)

If your budget permits, have dinner at " The Waterfront" which quite an expensive restuarant. Its right next to Eat street. Amazing ambience, you can choose to sit inside the ac environs or if weather is pleasant sit outdoors facing the lake and the flooring is entirely wooden. Nice feeling.

Golconda Fort will take up a lot of time so in such a short visit, its recommended you skip it.

Take a quick autoricksaw tour of Charminar in afternoon or morning and buy bangles from Lad Bazar and pick up pearl necklaces from there as soveniers.

Regarding Veg Biryani, I still would recommend you have it in Paradise. If not for the food but just for the experience as its a landmark for Hyderabadi Biryani. I find them inconsistent, sometimes their biryani is outstanding and sometimes its below average. That coming from such a popular biryani joint is unacceptable. But, maybe because they cater to not less than 5000-10000 biryani's a day ( thats a rough guess)

Have Fun
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 15:52   #6
BHPian

Veg-biriyani is not worth trying. Stick to non-veg biriyani in Paradise.

Visit Charminar and checkout the bangle shops.
Visit Birla Mandir.

Enjoy the good view at evening at hussian sagar lake (eat streat). I don't recommend the boat ride as the water stinks.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 16:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Veg-biriyani is not worth trying. Stick to non-veg biriyani in Paradise.
So your recommending a Veggie to turn Non Veggie just to eat at Paradise?
Old 16th April 2010, 16:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Veg Biryani available at Hyderabad House is supposed to be better. My roommates (veggies) used to like it. (I never tasted though! )

Note for Laad Bazaar: You have to bargain hard at Laad Bazaar. Usually the prices start from 1200 which can be brought down to 400!
Old 16th April 2010, 18:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The Veg Biryani available at Hyderabad House is supposed to be better. My roommates (veggies) used to like it. (I never tasted though! )
Veg Biryani for us NV eaters is blasphemy...isnt it?
Old 16th April 2010, 18:37   #10
BHPian

Err, I have never been to Hyd (had been there once when I was a kid, about 12 years back) but have heard about Ramoji Film City. Why isn't anyone recommending that?
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 18:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Avi, TRUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Err, I have never been to Hyd (had been there once when I was a kid, about 12 years back) but have heard about Ramoji Film City. Why isn't anyone recommending that?
It's too far away from the city and takes almost one full day to visit.
Considering the time frame given by Raja, if he visits Ramoji Film City, then he won't be able to see anything else!
Old 16th April 2010, 20:50   #12
BHPian

Default Thank You

A Big Thank You to all for your suggestions.

Is Paradise at the junction of MG Road and SP Road (I am going by google maps)?
Eat Street definitely sounds worth trying, hopefully it will live up to it's name and more.
I will check google maps for the local bazaars that have been recommended. Thanks for the bargaining tip.

I will go through the whole thread in detail later tonight/tomorrow and try and figure out what to do.
There is so much to do in so little time.

Thanks
Old 17th April 2010, 10:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

only place i can recommend is golconda fort for the evening light and sound show. really nice. biriyani at paradise is more of hype. lot of rice (if you are really hungry and need lot of rice to eat) and less of biriyani. if you want pearls, visit jagadamba at paradise.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 11:29   #14
BHPian

Remember to visit Karachi Bakery.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 12:40   #15
BHPian

What are the Auto-Rickshaw pricing like?
Do they take the tourist route or direct as they properly should?
(In Pune rickshaws are very very expensive, while I feel Mumbai is much more reasonable).