Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd April 2010, 20:09   #1
BHPian

Default Fake profile on Facebook - HELP!

Guys,

My mother is the Vice Principal of a school in Saudi Arabia. Though she's not on FB, lately, i found 2 offensive fake profiles, started by some kid in school.

I have been able to narrow down to one kid, who, i feel has started one of the profiles. But again, i am not sure, hence i haven't taken any sort of action against him.

I need these profiles to be deleted of FB ASAP! I tried reporting the profiles, but FB requires a link to the original profile, but there is no original profile, and my mom doesn't intend to create one either.

What can i do about this?

P.S - pls don't ask for links to the profiles

Thanks
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

One solution would be to just create a profile as FB support wants it and then later remove all information from it once they have deleted the fake one.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:20   #3
BHPian

^ Thanks for the suggestion, but how will FB support verify that the new profile is the original one?
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
^ Thanks for the suggestion, but how will FB support verify that the new profile is the original one?
I'm pretty sure they will have some set of guidelines for verification.
So I guess the best you can do it to get in touch and work with the support folks.

How "bad" is the fake profile. I think this does have legal implications. Now these things are taken pretty seriously by authorities. Maybe you should file a formal complaint too.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:30   #5
BHPian

^ It is obscene. Very obscene. They even have her pic which they managed to take from one of the school magazines. Im not looking at lodging a formal complaint. My family is pretty famous in this country, it's in our best interest and the School's that this matter not be taken up legally. Add to that, the fact that we're in a foreign country.

Now, the thing is i cant find an email id or a contact us link on FB to get in touch with the support.

Last edited by rg_chn : 23rd April 2010 at 21:31.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:00   #6
BHPian

Try these links:
Report a Fake Profile | Facebook
Impostor Profile | Facebook

How to remove a fake profile from Facebook - NextAdvisor Daily
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:17   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot BenjiRoss. I hope it works.
Old 24th April 2010, 00:13   #8
BHPian

OK, so i just reported it. I guess i just have to wait for a few days and see what happens.
Old 24th April 2010, 00:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My mother is the Vice Principal of a school in Saudi Arabia.
Quote:
^ It is obscene. Very obscene. My family is pretty famous in this country, it's in our best interest and the School's that this matter not be taken up legally.
Since your mother is a Vice Principal of a school, and your family is famous- i thinks its in your best interests that such an obscene profile is removed IMMEDIATELY. Things on facebook spread fast!

IMO, if the matter is not taken up by facebook in 2-3 days, you should consider the legal route. Atleast try to consult legal help without giving formal complaint as of now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 01:47   #10
BHPian

I can't really go the legal route right now, my parents don't know about the profile yet. And i don't want them too either.
I messaged both the profiles, one of them replied and deleted the profile. One more to go now.

Last edited by rg_chn : 24th April 2010 at 01:51.