Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Which state are you in?
Drag myself to office everyday; wish i was somewhere else 74 70.48%
Can't wait to reach office and get busy 17 16.19%
Too busy doing nothing to think of such trivialities 14 13.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th May 2010, 10:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
When I had asked him about how he relates to his job, he had told me his job only served to feed all the other facets of his life, and was not the center of his thinking.
That's a fantastic point & has widened my thoughts little more; DerAlte has become DearAlte to me now. But don't you think, they do the work mechanically & more of process oriented rather than applying thought to it? Yes, they do lots of planning & before working; but thinking what I mean here is, not innovation, but in terms of "why not the other way". They catch hold of one technology, get deeper & deeper & master it, but if you ask one question out of their boundary, they simply say they don't know. While we Indians, learn anything & everything by all possible means. To explain (confuse) further, we will know something about everything but not everything about one thing, but they'll know everything about onething & that onething is everything to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
After this period, we as most of us know want to get settled in our lives which in other words means "getting promotions and doing less of an engineers job".
Yes to an extend. When I refused to become lead roles & sticked to consultancy roles, people were looking to me like "what's your problem?". Till date I see most people asking me, ok so you're in IT, so are you a PM? This is what the society expects you to become. I hope in another decade people will start asking me, why aren't you a Sr PM?

Quote:
And the next trait which causes this loneliness and boredom- We, as many have already noted don't have any kind of personal hobbies or alternative skills to pursue to keep us creative.
Well I don't attribute this to lonliness; don't we have better families, friends & neighbours? I would like to call it monotonous job that is boring. As you said lack of hobbies are killing & I've learned it the hardway & hey, that's the reason I'm in TBHP too.

Quote:
In the west our peers (mostly) are mutli-talented and have wide range of cross section of interests and hobbies which makes their lives anything but dull and boy, they love their work which naturally makes them good at it.
Nope. I would attribute this to DerAlte's explanation.

Quote:
"We are risk averse unlike our peers in the west, we don't dare because of venturing outside our comfort zone" (of course there are some exceptions).
Rightly said. Even I do not like myself going out of my comfort zone. I did it once when things were going good, happy & nothing interesting, I simply changed my job to accept more challenges & trust me, I lost a good personal life. So a lesson learned hardway that never change the comfort zone unless & otherwise it is absolutely required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Wish i was running a small tea shop in some remote scandinavian country
You mean a small Star bucks?

Last edited by aargee : 5th May 2010 at 10:21.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Being multi talented, having hobbies, etc is something that needs an investment of time. You have to start with questioning the rules laid down for you - that define that taking time off for yourself ("2 weeks for a trek!? We have an important meeting with 'onsite'") as something to be ashamed off - and develop these. Its not always about being your own boss etc (even entrepreneurs are not always that!) but more about being boss of your own time. There is usually some friction, but you slowly start forcing people to value you for your skills and impact, not time.

And people, don't pressurize yourself with cultural difference examples, or those of people who've done it. Everyone's in a unique situation and you have to find your own way, your own interest. Comparisons only cause pain
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 11:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

I used to be one of them,I did my job for almost 8yrs. in a Media field,especially reated to designing,the work was good and interesting but the long hours for work for someone else who used to take the credit at the end of the day and we used to be given peanuts.

I realised if i can work for someone else that hard,i can go beyond limits for myself,so one fine day i completed my project in my last company which was for the Indica Vista,after that i did not look back.

Its a very difficult decesion one needs to be prepared for alot of potholes and big bolders in the way,sometimes you even cant sleep for what uve been trying soo hard people dont tend to understand initially.

As they say the world is always greener on the otherside,trust me its more darkness as you go in deep.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 12:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Had to choose #1 since there is no option for a 50:50 :)

Had to choose #1 since there is no option for a 50:50

I am a techie who took a bold but hazardous step taking a consulting role without knowing the ABCs of this field and without a polished soft skillset. Out of 5 working days, Monday is a nightmare for me but Tuesday is better and Wednesday is even better. Ofcourse Friday is the best. Though the organization work hour is 8:30 to 6PM, i enjoy lot of flexibility in work timings due to the nature of my work (its not a boon always, at times i have to be on call till dawn). I feel I work in an alien world (in this very new role) which makes me rejoice sometimes when I am able to do things well and which makes me drained sometimes when I am not able to reach the mark (thats why 50:50). But I am sure it can be improved with a bit of efforts which I have already started.

I feel responsible for what is happening to me and now my target is to increase the ratio of happy working days. Though I am not fond of reading or watching TV or browsing the internet, I spent atleast an hour daily on TBHP since its a forum of my likings. I should admit this helps me to refresh my mind, provide incremental knowledge, improve my grammer, vocabulary, moreover my dreams are growing bigger which is a good source of inspiration to work smart and achieve everything (Thanks to mods and BHPians!).

The bottom line is atleast 80% responsibility remains with us to make it a happy work environment. We require some source of motivation to charge us from a drained state, it differs from person to person. Can be our family, friends, good collegues, dreams of growing better, for some it would be achievements and appreciations, offcourse the salary etc.

Find what motivates and keep you running.

Last edited by jacs : 5th May 2010 at 12:05.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 14:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

All the problems and disappointments in life arise because man doesn't know what he wants from it.

He sets unrealistic expectations based on some other person's dreams or the herd's dream/vision.

Incidentally, I believe this problem is not recent - in fact it might have relevance even earlier - which lead to perhaps not creation, but at least propagation of religion and/or spirituality.

Once man decides what he really wants from life: the priority number one, he will realize that other priorities are secondary, and if they are not feeding this number one priority, its better to change them.

Unfortunately, for a vast majority of human beings - this realization comes very late in life. So late that this person doesn't have the will or strength to carry out his conviction, or if he wishes to educate others - he is derided and frowned upon as lunatic.

The even more unfortunate ones are those who don't realize it even to their death - and live their lives dictated by other ppl's strings or the herd's vision as they had been right from their birth.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 18:22   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Question is, is that why you rush to office? Thread premise is that the job itself should be able to make one do that.
Today, absolutely yes. I thoroughly enjoy what I do...in my education business as well as when working on Team-BHP.

That said, my comment on excellence as a motivator remains. Prior to my MBA, I worked for some years in the family's plywood business. You will understand that plywood & timber aren't my core passions at all (not even close). Yet, I did work as hard as I do today (well, nearly ), and derived immense satisfaction from trying to do a great job. Maybe I did (do a great job)...maybe I didn't, but it didn't stop me from putting in my best. The quality of final output should kindle the fire in our bellies. This may sound clichéd, I know, yet I'll quote "If you have to do something, do it really well. Else don't". I'm not one who does things half-heartedly, or accepts average output / results.

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2010 at 18:23.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 21:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Today, absolutely yes. I thoroughly enjoy what I do...in my education business as well as when working on Team-BHP.

That said, my comment on excellence as a motivator remains. Prior to my MBA, I worked for some years in the family's plywood business. You will understand that plywood & timber aren't my core passions at all (not even close). Yet, I did work as hard as I do today (well, nearly ), and derived immense satisfaction from trying to do a great job. Maybe I did (do a great job)...maybe I didn't, but it didn't stop me from putting in my best. The quality of final output should kindle the fire in our bellies. This may sound clichéd, I know, yet I'll quote "If you have to do something, do it really well. Else don't". I'm not one who does things half-heartedly, or accepts average output / results.
Running own business is something which gives us satisfaction compared to working for someone. I have a small experience running own business and though it didnt clicked I was more than happy for what i did. wishing you all the best on your biz.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 23:05   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
... they do the work mechanically & more of process oriented rather than applying thought to it ...
Actually, quite the opposite.
1. It is we who are process oriented, and work diligently conformant to the process, since the process ensures almost-consistent output with widely varying skill and discipline levels. Also, one does not have to apply thought more than a bare minimum
2. How many true Indian product companies do you know of? Just a handful, because one cannot create a product by working mechanically - only by applying thought
3. How many product companies do you find where Indians do product sustenance? Almost each and every one of them

The product created by my colleague is today working at most car companies as a design tool, and it required us to put in a lot of imagination to get real-world responses from it (a vehicle simulator).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
... if you ask one question out of their boundary, they simply say they don't know. While we Indians, learn anything & everything by all possible means. ...
Ask yourself, how many people have you encountered in India whose knowledge can be described mathematically as "Knowledge tending to zero, in areas tending to infinity"? I am sure you will be able to relate to this.

As opposed to that, they go for excellence in limited areas, which can be described as "Knowledge tending to infinity, in areas tending to zero". Don't you think it is much more professional to say "I don't know" instead of giving a wrong / ill-thought-out answer and misleading someone or impeding / failing the progress of an activity?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 23:21   #54
BHPian

One life! You just want to do one thing all your life? ONE LIFE, Change your line of work every few years once you reach the peak You still can make money! Remember its just one Life!
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 23:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

I do not intend to vote, but would like to share my view

Why a person work ?
------------------------
1. Due to internal motivation within oneself. This is called passion, liking for the subject, work, outcome , pride etc. This can also be due to the drive one has to achieve a milestone in life or social ladder. This would be different for different people. This would be different at different time in one's life.

This is very much essential to deliver superlative performance in one's work and this is the real differentiator what seperates peole who excel and the people who do not.

2. Due to external circumstances viz. need to keep oneself occupied, need to earn the money to keep the family fed, has no other alternative hence this work etc etc. This could also due to the excellent working environment, benefits, ease of work, quantum of money, respect one gets at work etc. Generally the employer use these circumstances to keep the employee motivated.

What work one needs to choose ?
----------------------------------
Ofcourse, It is the one who likes to do, becauce it simply improves one's chances of excelling manyfold. People who are not in their field of liking are generally misfit and their chances of failure are higher than the people who like thier field of work. This is irrespective of what the external circumstances or employer provider motivations are. it simply delays the inevitable i.e. such misfits loose their motivation anyway over period of time.

but still people sitck on to the job because it pays them well, such people hope that they earn /save a lot of money quickly and then engage in an activity of their liking. But whether they manage to do it or not is another subject of discussion.

What happens once misfits choose alternative career ?
-----------------------------------------------------

History repeats itself, if the alternative career is not the one chosen becasue of passion/liking and becasue of external circumstance.

after initial excitement is over, again one starts to drag oneself to the office and think, what if i were else where

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th May 2010 at 23:39.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 03:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Voted for option 1.
Wish i was running a small tea shop in some remote scandinavian country
To do this, you would need to

1. Send out a meeting invite to your team
2. Discuss the strategy and how you plan to implement
3. Map tasks to owners and dates
4. Review tasks with appropriate owners and monitor progress
5. ...

I was wondering if it was just me. Am so glad this thread is actually 4 pages long already. WOW !!!
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:18   #57
BHPian

How many find your jobs to be challenging your creative side?
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
All the problems and disappointments in life arise because man doesn't know what he wants from it.

He sets unrealistic expectations based on some other person's dreams or the herd's dream/vision.

Incidentally, I believe this problem is not recent - in fact it might have relevance even earlier - which lead to perhaps not creation, but at least propagation of religion and/or spirituality.

Once man decides what he really wants from life: the priority number one, he will realize that other priorities are secondary, and if they are not feeding this number one priority, its better to change them.

Unfortunately, for a vast majority of human beings - this realization comes very late in life. So late that this person doesn't have the will or strength to carry out his conviction, or if he wishes to educate others - he is derided and frowned upon as lunatic.

The even more unfortunate ones are those who don't realize it even to their death - and live their lives dictated by other ppl's strings or the herd's vision as they had been right from their birth.
You nailed it brother.
This is a question which no one has real answers to.

Its also not a easy question to answer. We humans have a tendency to get bored with what we are doing and then move ahead. On to something new.

My take is that life is a journey. We cant say which milestone I want to reach, because there will be more milestones after that. The idea is to enjoy the journey.

Do what You like doing. Once you are done with it. Move ahead. Just make sure that you are enjoying the journey.

Then you wont have to answer the poll like the one on this thread. (BTW : I chose the first option )

Two sites I can recommend just for browsing are:

If you are a normal guy with average(or nil....I know I am not alone) will power:
Personal Development for Smart People - Steve Pavlina

If you are.... well not like me....then grand solution to everything:
Krishnamurti Foundation of America - Krishnamurti Foundation of America - Home

I am not promoting anything. Its just that I found them to be pretty unique. Mods may remove the links if they want to.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
One life! You just want to do one thing all your life? ONE LIFE, Change your line of work every few years once you reach the peak You still can make money! Remember its just one Life!
+1, it almost been 8 year working in the same field. Planning to take a 6 months sabbatical after i complete 10 years and then start with a new field. The only draw back to this approach i see is u wont get as much as u got at the time u left the field and need to start from zero
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 23:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
IT sucks big time, not because of the work, but because of all those morons who moved way up the ladder just because the industry grew so rapidly. Most of the jokers don't ever use their brains or common-sense. Even those who have the necessary intellect have learnt to leave their brain at their home when they start to work, as otherwise it is difficult to suvive among these morons.

God this industry needs a massive massive shakeup.

As far me i love what i do, but the problem is, in IT you are not supposed to talk sense. All you need to do is talk non-sense whole day and keep passing the buck. Unfotunately i am not made that way, and that is where the problem lies
WOW Man I love your line "not because of the work, but because of all those morons who moved way up the ladder just because the industry grew so rapidly" , I was actualy searching reason for not liking my work from long time. Then over the period of time I realised its not work but these Morons which are troubling me.
You will find "THE most" incompetent Managers in IT industry .
SinghBHP is offline   Reply With Quote