Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Which state are you in?
Drag myself to office everyday; wish i was somewhere else 74 70.48%
Can't wait to reach office and get busy 17 16.19%
Too busy doing nothing to think of such trivialities 14 13.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th May 2010, 10:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

The Simple Dollar Separating Your Goals and Choices from Other People

This is a good read. A lot many of us live like that. Give up on this (non-trivial), and some fears will vanish. Then you can decide on what you want to do, how much of it, and time vs money tradeoffs. Whether its your current job, or a new one, or doing something on your own - its the report-card you try and keep up with that decides the state of mind. Thats the one that needs to be your own, not necessarily what you do for a living.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:37   #62
BHPian

I dont know why I am blanked out right now after reading this but for me it goes like this - What I do is bringing food on the table for the family. What I do is allowing my wife and kid to go beyond the necessities at times and enjoy some of life's small luxuries. What I do is slowly ensuring that my kid will have a better start in life than I did. And for all this I don't mind dragging myself to office on some days !!
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:17   #63
BHPian

One more trait that all we Indians have is switching jobs. I have often heard and felt that people who switch jobs on a regular basis are considered more capable and successful as it shows they have a broader scope and many employers would like to take them... and if someone works hard for a long time with one single company coz he loves what he is doing, this person is considered as less talented, finding it difficult to get opportunities outside and that is the reason why he is stuck to the present job for a long time.

I relate to this to an extent because I'm happy doing what I do and I'm paid fairly well, although not as high as in IT industry. But I'm happy, financially and workwise too. However, this thought always nags me that tomorrow when I want to switch I might end up in interviews where I will be told that I stuck to a single company for a long time because I did not get a job elsewhere, which absolutely bull ****! And for precisely this reason, today, I'm might try to switch from my current job, not because I'm unhappy with my work or compensation but to prove otherwise.

The best example is two of my friends from my MBA college. One of them is in the same job for almost 7-8 years in a good MNC, while another similar friend has switched almost 4-5 jobs in the last 7-8 years. I feel both of them are equally capable, in fact the former is much more capable but he has been with the same company and has grown organically with it while my other friend has grown by switch companies. Are Indian employers intelligent enough to realise this difference? I'm really not sure!

The motive of presenting this scenario is that people also look for alternative careers/jobs because of this kind of peer pressure and the thinking that prevails in general, in the private sector. Are majority of the people feeling that they are dragging themselves to their office, because they have been in a single company for a long time. If you switch regularly would that keep you motivated enough to contribute your best to the organization you are working with and you don't feel you are dragging yourself to the office?

So in short it would mean

Capability is inversely proportional to loyalty. Greater the capability lesser the loyalty and vice versa. Agree guys?
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Capability is inversely proportional to loyalty. Greater the capability lesser the loyalty and vice versa. Agree guys?
I'd say its orthogonal. Whether its the same, or different - as long as you're clear on why you are picking one path over the other, and are happy with your choice for your own reasons, its cool.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

I beg to differ with the general perspective that IT jobs are too taxing---things are a bit different when seen by someone who has seen both sides of the coin, and taken a mid-career shift.

I guess I am one of the few who voted on the button that expresses satisfaction with the current job. And yes, I am in I.T. for the past 8 years, after moving from a Steel Public Sector Undertaking, where I spent donkey's years as a Personnel Manager(joined as a Management Trainee and rose 6 levels to Asst General Manager)

The only drawback I see in IT is job insecurity, but this is a reality in most Private companies, let alone IT. On all other factors, I rate it better than what people consider to be 'cushy, secure, bureaucratic jobs'.

Following are the advantages from my viewpoint:-
  1. Better salary and perks (of course it is only recently that Govt jobs have got a hefty hike after the pay commission, but then salary revisions are done once every 5 or 10 years). To cite an example, in my Steel job, a new WagonR was considered as a rich man's car.
  2. Opportunities to go abroad, at least for short visits. I've enjoyed my trips to Uk, Singapore and the US to the hilt.
  3. 5-day week. Man, I used to work 6 days a week, and at least 20% of my Sundays were scre**ed up by labour problems or accidental deaths in the factory premises. I was scared of lifiing the phone on a Sunday, lest I be called to office!!
  4. Mostly work 9 to 5 or for 8 hours starting at a later time, depending on project going live.
  5. Job satisfaction is far greater in the ERP field, compared to core HR in a manufacturing industry.
  6. Absence of dealing with rough and tough unions, when sometimes one's safety is also at risk.
  7. A flatter, delayered orginzation to work in, compared to a hierchical, bureaucratic govt organization. No need to say 'Good morning' to anyone, and nobody will say that to you either---I prefer this.
  8. No roughshod talk or gaalis by persons higher in the hierarchy---as a matter of fact, it is taken for granted in a PSU that the person is going to stick on till retirement, and therefore will tolerate any amount of bull**it talk.
  9. Facility to work from home or other cities---my current company allows this, and last year I nearly worked 18 days from home--and I could have worked more too, but felt I was missing my daily drive on my Fiesta. My colleage also frequently works from Vizag--at least 30% of the work days.
On the other hand, there are a few positives of a PSU job, which I have listed below:-
  1. Living in a well-maintained township, with parks and play grounds all over. I am happy my kids got to use these perks till they were 8 to 12 years old. All roads had well-marked speed-breakers and driving was a breeze, as was crossing the road (more like US, if you ask me)
  2. Subsidised club membership, giving access to the swimming pool, billiards, bar, library, movies etc.
  3. Subsidised schooling, with the max distance being only 3 to 4 kms, and there are school buses that stop right in front of the house to pick kids up, especially if you work in the Personnel Department
  4. Never stood in a queue at the company hospital for treatmemt, as I could pretend to meet the doctor for official work.
Despite the above, which were mostly enjoyed by the family, I always felt hounded working there, and so did scores of my colleagues and most of us shifted to IT a decade ago. No regrets !!

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th May 2010 at 12:27.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi What you describe are the meta-attributes of the job. What about the core work itself ? A large number of projects in IT either never see light of day, or are launched but not used much, or shelved in a couple of years. One might lose touch with the real world, and how one's efforts impact the owrld/life. Sure its cushy, well paying, and comfortable. But sometimes, when you get up in the morning and ask yourself why you're doing this (and this happens irrespective of what you do), those answers aren't enough by themselves.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
@vnabhi What you describe are the meta-attributes of the job. What about the core work itself ? A large number of projects in IT either never see light of day, or are launched but not used much, or shelved in a couple of years. One might lose touch with the real world, and how one's efforts impact the owrld/life. Sure its cushy, well paying, and comfortable. But sometimes, when you get up in the morning and ask yourself why you're doing this (and this happens irrespective of what you do), those answers aren't enough by themselves.

I agree with you on your points, but the same points apply to my PSU job as well. I've seen several initiatives launched at the beginning of the year dropped midway. Many initiatves are not feasible even in the next decade, if you ask me.

But owing to the boot-licking culture in Govt. the Director Personnel may not have the guts to tell the Chairman that somethings are just not feasible, and instead are passed on to lower management as tasks and objectives.

To cut a long story short, the demerits you've pointed out also exist on the other side of the fence, but the only noticeable difference is that if a project is shelved in an IT job, the persons in it stand the risk of getting laid off.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

But owing to the boot-licking culture in Govt. the Director Personnel may not have the guts to tell the Chairman that somethings are just not feasible, and instead are passed on to lower management as tasks and objectives.
This happens in IT field also, some of the work or tasks are done just to please the higher ups and get browny points .

Also one more issue is the atmosphere in IT field .What do you guys think about immediate boss and ppl working with you ? .Do they irritate sometimes ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

IT Sucks.... there is no social interaction except for the client fuming at you in the meetings.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agree with you on your points, but the same points apply to my PSU job as well.
Quite true - this scenario can play out in any workplace. I guess the critical thing is to "break free" - and that doesn't necessarily imply leaving that job. It means more of not submitting to set notions of what you should do, meeting others' expectations, etc.
Old 13th May 2010, 17:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
IT Sucks.... there is no social interaction except for the client fuming at you in the meetings.
Even I felt on the social interaction part. May be the current culture is not healthy for our indian society. Now people doesn't know who is their neighbor or what is happening around him.

Most of the IT people are breaking their heads (atleast not me ) in the busy schedules having no time to think about themself or their family during the whole week. For most of them, weekend is the only happiness in life and they want to stay detached from any earthily matters. May be the only time they have for disposal to speak to family and friends, who on earth would think of society or doing something good for others during this two days?

I admit still there are people who does a lot during these two days, but they are one in a million! And are Gems as Arindam Chowdhury wrote!

Last edited by jacs : 13th May 2010 at 17:16.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 20:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Nice one in the context of this thread
Old 15th May 2010, 23:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Working for big MNC but always became victim of chasing unrealistic targets along with many others in my company. Family life ruined but I am getting promoted to the ladder.
When I faced this situation, I asked myself to write down which is more important - family, work or money. Depending on which one comes out on top, I base my decision. If family comes out on top, then there is no point continuing in that company and its work culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
More you promoted more your managers will remind you for greater participation in chasing unrealistic targets. How long will it continue? many time this thought comes into my mind. Can I switch again? What if other company also work in this fashion?
I am very passionate about my field of work - telecom. I am very sure I will be associated with this field for a long time. But when it comes to the company that I work, I treat the company as a facilitator enabling me to work in telecom. I may change companies, but not my field. These two are distinct and separate. The priorities and position that they take in my mind are different.

I don't think there is anything wrong in changing companies. What is the point in continuing if one is not happy about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Yes, agree that work life balance is a big issue, especially in IT. But I think it is up to each of us to say yes or no to the situation. After all it is our choice.

The general agreement that we are seeing in this thread reminds me of what the fishmonger tells the executive in Fish!.
Quote:
There is always a choice about the way you do your work, even if there is not a choice about the work itself.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Lets go down *that* road - bangalorekaapi Something I'd written a while ago - along the lines of some feelings on this thread.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:28   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a very small and petty business(of my own) and i always wanted to be either a truckie or a farmer-
could never be a truckie because of my country's infrastructure(do i even need to elaborate) and cannot become a farmer becuase of the uncertainties associated with farming-rains/No rains/Storm/Cattle eating your crop/the seeds are crap, you never know, the list is end-less, yes million of people are doing it and this is from where we get food, but still i get shivers as i everyday see farmers at my native place,
have mango orchards and few plantations though

^and i am damn happy with my life as it is at the moment-working from home, just spent ~35K on riding gears. spending the evening chatting with buddies
^^haven't voted

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2010 at 16:29.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote