Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th March 2013, 00:36   #436
BHPian

Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Missed this thread and hence started another one on African continent. Repeating the same qurry here. Grateful for your views on this.
Quote:
Hello all,

Come this october, I would be completing 14 yrs at sea. I joined this profession to work with hands. Since last 2 yrs I am onto a lot more administrative type work and less hands on. Having seen enough and having achieved my objectives here, now I am keen on settling ashore. I am missing my wife and kids a lot.

Teaching is my other liking and incidentally I have found some links to opportunities in teaching in Ethiopia, Ghana, Gabon and Zambia.

India is not devoid of such opportunities but the salaries are not attractive and marine related institutes are more stand alone, not being part of some big universities I dream of teaching in. On the contrary I find that the marine colleges in Africa are affiliated to some renowned universities and are located in their campuses. Jobs offer nice on campus apartments. I haven't got the idea of the international school for kids yet.

I don't think there is any better place than team BHP to seek opinions on working in African countries, the better ones like Ethiopia, Ghana or say Zambia.

I am looking into moving with family though not immediately.

I have contacted some active Indians with families at these place and all seem to be indicating that life is full of fun there.

Thanks in advance for your rich views and suggestions.

Rgds.
mods: Pls delete the thread ANy suggestions on taking a job in african continent if so required.
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 09:27   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Am being asked to work in Sydney for about am year or two on work visa (intra company transfer).
What is the cost of living for a family of three (2 adults + 2 year old kid) in Sydney to have a decent lifestyle, without bring too stingy?

I suppose spouse can work on dependent visa, but with a 2 year old at home, am not sure if it will be possible, and if part time work-from-home options are available.
This is a fairly accurate conversion:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ayCurrency=AUD

Your biggest expense would be rent. Rent depends mostly on distance from the city, whether or not its on the train line, and how nice the location is.
hdus001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 07:24   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
It costs around Rs. 30000 for the skill verification.
It will take a few months for that step to get complete.

What input are you looking for?
I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. I don't see where it mentions Rs30000 fee. More like 3060AUD for Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa

and this is very confusing: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

If I do get a VISA using this route, I still won't have a job, all I get is a ticket to Australia, but without the hassle and risk of quitting my job. Is that correct?
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 16:35   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. I don't see where it mentions Rs30000 fee. More like 3060AUD for Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa

and this is very confusing: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

If I do get a VISA using this route, I still won't have a job, all I get is a ticket to Australia, but without the hassle and risk of quitting my job. Is that correct?
The Skills verification costs around $450. If you are at IT person, you have to send your details to Australian Computer Society and the assessment charges are AU$450.

https://www.acs.org.au/migration-ski...ne-application

What you saw there is the VISA fees. thats AU$3060. That has to be paid once your EOI is accepted and you are granted a PR. Once you are granted a PR, you are free to live and work anywhere in Australia in any profession you want to.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 16:44   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Am being asked to work in Sydney for about am year or two on work visa (intra company transfer).
What is the cost of living for a family of three (2 adults + 2 year old kid) in Sydney to have a decent lifestyle, without bring too stingy?

I suppose spouse can work on dependent visa, but with a 2 year old at home, am not sure if it will be possible, and if part time work-from-home options are available.
Hi,

not that i live in sydney but i was there recently for a good 2 months and hence should be able to answer a few of your questions.

1. rental : mainly depends how much time & money you want to save. do you know where your office is located? assuming you are in IT, you would be around North Sydney. The rentals there are quite steep. If you are OK to travel a little bit, you should check out accommodations in and around Westmead area. Which is suberb located around 24 kms from Sydney CBD.

2. about spouse working and part time works, i am not too sure. in and around westmead there are various day cares for your little one if you might be interested in one.

3. cost of living : its a very personal and individual thing, Sydney on its own is quite an expensive city to live in. eg. my friend in Melbourne stays 12 kms from the CBD and pays around $250 / week rent for a 2BHK house and my other friend who lives in Westmead in Sydney, which is around 24kms from Sydney CBD pays $420 / week rent for a 2BHK flat. A day travel card in Sydney costs around $22 where as the same costs around $14 in Melbourne.

Hope this helps

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 21:37   #441
BHPian

Default Re: Help needed! Immigration to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Hello everyone, my spouse and I are exploring options to move to Australia and came across 'Global Gateways'(Bangalore) which helps individuals obtain PR and Visa to live and work in Australia and other countries.

Cost involved for paper work seems acceptable but still wanted to check if anyone here has dealt with this organization before and would you recommend the same?

help!!
I have not dealt with any agents for Australian immigration. I have applied on my own and its extremely easy to do so yourself. Even the agents will pass on a lot of work on you and all they do is scrutinize your documents. The basis of their scrutiny is all mentioned on the Immi website, so there's nothing that you cannot do or accomplish yourself.

What you do need to do in such a case is to scrutinize the immi website thoroughly. All information that is needed is mentioned there already and most questions that I have come across from applicants is only due to not reading the website content properly. It needs extensive research and you save a bunch of money which you can use towards resettlement costs. Agents don't and can't speed up the process anyway.

Personally, I don't recommend agents for Aus immigration. Why not sit over a cup of coffee and discuss this? Anyone else wanna join and make this into a T-Bhp meet?

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 08:10   #442
Senior - BHPian

Default Living in Johar Bahru/Iskandar Malaysia

My cousin has landed an offer to relocate to Singapore. He heard that several Singaporeans now live in Johar/ Iskandar Malaysia and come into Singapore to work only.

Will be great if someone can give me and idea on how it's to live in Iskandar. Info like rentals, schools, buying a car, cost of living etc will be useful. Lots of info online, but nothing like turning to tbhp for info.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 09:17   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Living in Johar Bahru/Iskandar Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
My cousin has landed an offer to relocate to Singapore. He heard that several Singaporeans now live in Johar/ Iskandar Malaysia and come into Singapore to work only.

Will be great if someone can give me and idea on how it's to live in Iskandar. Info like rentals, schools, buying a car, cost of living etc will be useful. Lots of info online, but nothing like turning to tbhp for info.
If your cousin has got a job offer in Singapore, the best for him is to find a place to stay in Singapore itself. The no. of Singaporeans living in Johor/Iskandar are quite a minimum, and a little bit of cost savings is not really worth considering the hassle of crossing borders every day. I used to have a Malaysian colleague who used to live in Johor and commute to work at Singapore CBD. Her total travel time used to be around 4 hrs (round trip).
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 09:46   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If your cousin has got a job offer in Singapore, the best for him is to find a place to stay in Singapore itself. The no. of Singaporeans living in Johor/Iskandar are quite a minimum, and a little bit of cost savings is not really worth considering the hassle of crossing borders every day. I used to have a Malaysian colleague who used to live in Johor and commute to work at Singapore CBD. Her total travel time used to be around 4 hrs (round trip).
I would submit that it is totally inefficient to live in Johor Baru and commute to Singapore.

If affordability is a problem, then Singapore has some options like Jurong or even Changi which are cheaper to live in than say, Cairnhill!

Singapore is also far more 'civilized' in terms of the 'cosmopolitan' feel than Johor is, quite frankly.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 09:56   #445
Senior - BHPian

Google search shows large number of Johar residents are Singaporeans. Since he is expected to be there for 5+ years, he has plans to even buy property, probably the reason to look at Johar in the long run. Heard cars are tax free for expats!!!!

Any idea on rentals and schooling?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 10:53   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Living in Johar Bahru/Iskandar Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would submit that it is totally inefficient to live in Johor Baru and commute to Singapore.

If affordability is a problem, then Singapore has some options like Jurong or even Changi which are cheaper to live in than say, Cairnhill!

Singapore is also far more 'civilized' in terms of the 'cosmopolitan' feel than Johor is, quite frankly.
Johor maybe 30-50% cheaper to live even compared to Jurong or Changi area, but as you mentioned, its totally inefficient considering the amount of time spend on travel, and also due to the other aspects you stated. Also, offlate safety is quite a big concern, in and around JB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Google search shows large number of Johar residents are Singaporeans. Since he is expected to be there for 5+ years, he has plans to even buy property, probably the reason to look at Johar in the long run. Heard cars are tax free for expats!!!!

Any idea on rentals and schooling?
I donít know much about the schooling aspects, or tax-free cars for expats. How your cousin is going to work this out Ė get an employment pass in Singapore, and a visa to stay in Malaysia? The former will be managed by the Singapore employer, but not sure of the latter.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 12:00   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I have not dealt with any agents for Australian immigration. I have applied on my own and its extremely easy to do so yourself.
Did you get the PR or in the process ? If yes, how long it took ? I think people prefer agents since they give kind of guarantee that one will get the PR for sure.
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 12:14   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Did you get the PR or in the process ? If yes, how long it took ? I think people prefer agents since they give kind of guarantee that one will get the PR for sure.
That is just false and a total misconcenption. Immi gives no guarantee that applications filed by agents will get the residence permit. Agents, just to make sure that they don't have a bad track record, take extra long time to scrutinize the documents, and most often than not, they only take up simple cases where there is a guarantee of success. If there is any complication in the documentation, the agents themselves reject the application to save them of the effort and their track record. Otherwise, they anyway make the applicant run around to set the documents right. I have seen applicants with good documents which the agents had rejected because they didn't know how to handle the slight variation and didn't want to chance it. He applied on his own and got through as well. This was in the pre-July 2012 rules.

All the agents do is scrutinize and forward the documents to Immi. With due research, the applicant can very well do the entire exercise himself and save himself 75K. Some agents charge even upwards of that.

This I can say with experience and having met lots of people in the process.

As for your question, I am waiting for my medicals to get through. I filed all the documents for myself, wife and child on my own.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 11:48   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
The guarantee is pretty much void because the visa rarely gets rejected because of the agent's incompetence. They would have a clause to exclude other factors outside their control. Remember, most of these agents work for law firms who know how to protect themselves.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:30   #450
BHPian

Default Queries Regarding Travel to Kurdistan, Iraq

Hi All,

I have been asked by my company management if I'd like to travel to Kurdistan, Iraq. From my short, basic google search I have understood that this place, kurdistan, that I have been asked to go to is relatively safer than the other parts of the Country. However, I will be glad if I could get some first hand information from someone who's traveled to the place or has more information. I have 2 main queries.

1. (Obviously), Is it really safe or would I be playing with my life?
2. With an Iraq stamp on my passport, will I have problems visiting any other countr(y/ies) in the future?

I request a fast reply from you all as I need to say a yes or no ASAP. Please help/advice.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote