Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th April 2013, 13:12   #586
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

How the discussion has veered towards eating !
For people who think Mexican cuisine - 'without meat, plus beans is veg', the sauces in most restaurants (not Taco Bell) are beef derivatives.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 13:58   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, a further issue, In France Shellfish is Fruit de Mer, Fruit of the Ocean. I need not say more.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 18:59   #588
Senior - BHPian

Even the Brahman community in West Bengal and Orissa eat Fish as part of their staple diet since it is abundantly available in their environment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, a further issue, In France Shellfish is Fruit de Mer, Fruit of the Ocean. I need not say more.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 20:56   #589
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
True, i remember when I landed up in Germany in 2009, McD did not have any vegetarian burgers.
Nope. We used to get the vegetarian burgers way back in 2000 in Munich, Germany. I remember asking them as 'Gemuse Mac' at McD counters.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 21:12   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How the discussion has veered towards eating !
For people who think Mexican cuisine - 'without meat, plus beans is veg', the sauces in most restaurants (not Taco Bell) are beef derivatives.
Chipotle has two types of bean. One is black bean which is veg and one is pinto beans that has chicken broth. On the Borders - another excellent Mexican Restaurant, has two type of rice and beans. When you tell them vegetarian, they prepare accordingly.

Most restaurants do the rice part in chicken broth or other types of sauce. Its true for Chinese and Thai Restaurants too. But you have to be explicit when you order. Just one of the perks of being a vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
More than the said chains, my reference was on someone having the wrong notion of Cheese Burger being vegetarian.

In the US McD/BK may have vegetarian options, but that is not the case elsewhere.
Yes, it is a wrong notion. If you say Grilled Cheese Burger or Cheese Burger without patty it becomes vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
. @ Chevelle. You should try the grilled cheese sandwich from In and Out, seeing as you are in California; it will blow your mind . Its not on the regular menu, so you have to ask for it when you go in.
I am a big In and Out fan. Here are few hidden menus they have.

1. Grilled Cheese Burger with jalapeno and pepper. Spicy
2. Animal Fries - Fries, Sauce, Grilled Onions and lots of cheese.
3. Protein Burger - Essentially veggie burger wrapped in Lettuce instead of bun.

I just love that burger chain. Whenever my friends from east visit, it take them there. They go crazy when they try it.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 21:13   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even the Brahman community in West Bengal and Orissa eat Fish as part of their staple diet since it is abundantly available in their environment...
Bengalis and Orias are pre-dominantly non-vegetarian, Brahmin or no Brahmin. Only people who are vegetarian are the "vaishnavs" (follower of krishna) who are a very small percentage.
acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 21:17   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Nope. We used to get the vegetarian burgers way back in 2000 in Munich, Germany. I remember asking them as 'Gemuse Mac' at McD counters.
May be in Munich, but in Stuttgart at least only BK was the one selling veg country burgers. McD was quite late to introduce them.
Though there was a vegan shop hidden in the lanes which served great Mexican food.
MotoNanu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 20:32   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is why India will continue to get more screwed and other countries will prosper more.

With 15 days to go for the Malaysian general election, in a state ruled by the opposition, the deputy PM says:
If (opp) leaders promise to abolish toll and waive loans then country will be in dumps not flourish.

My Kudos to a political system that recognizes that world class infrastructure cannot come free. Of course they have their failings, but imagine an Indian deputy PM say that? NEVER in my lifetime.

So if you can emigrate and get the hell out of India to a sensible state with better opportunities (not at a personal cost): JUMP!

Last edited by Samurai : 28th April 2013 at 17:28. Reason: avoid political reference
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 21:44   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

My Kudos to a political system that recognizes that world class infrastructure cannot come free.
How is it free if there are no tolls? There are tons and tons of taxes being collected. Most of them are wasted or go into the hands of politicians. Those taxes should have instead paid for world class infrastructure.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:56   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How is it free if there are no tolls? There are tons and tons of taxes being collected. Most of them are wasted or go into the hands of politicians. Those taxes should have instead paid for world class infrastructure.
Isn't it possible that SE Asia is more efficient in utilizing the public money. Perhaps even they have tolls + taxes, but still the situation is better than India. (where we also pay tolls + road taxes + income tax that finances police)

I am sure that's all phamilyman wanted to say.

Last edited by alpha1 : 22nd April 2013 at 14:58.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 15:23   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

In the UK there is always a Vegetarian Option in any menu. As for Germany the Vegetarian tradition apparently started with the Führer who was a veg.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 15:37   #597
BHPian

Just came across this very informative thread. We have been considering migration to Australia for a while now. My brother in law is settled in Australia and now family suggesting us to try to settle in Australia. Initially I was trying to go through an agent. But after going through this thread, I think we can consider going directly. Can some one throw some light on the whole process? Anyone recently migrated Australia? I meant after July-2012.

Waiting for your inputs mates..
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 17:24   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Just came across this very informative thread. We have been considering migration to Australia for a while now. My brother in law is settled in Australia and now family suggesting us to try to settle in Australia. Initially I was trying to go through an agent. But after going through this thread, I think we can consider going directly. Can some one throw some light on the whole process? Anyone recently migrated Australia? I meant after July-2012.

Waiting for your inputs mates..
Write to bensb2b for first hand information.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 23:29   #599
BHPian

Anyone here has any work experience in Sharjah or know anyone who has?
Interested to know about the culture of the city etc.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 19:44   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Anyone here has any work experience in Sharjah or know anyone who has?
Interested to know about the culture of the city etc.
My brother lived in Sharjah for 3 years with family.
Good place to stay, not as strict as Saudi where he is now located.

However, places like Dubai and Bahrain are much more open/ friendly/ cosmopolitan compared to Sharjah and Muscat.

Accommodation is expensive, but there is no income tax. Fuel is cheap and water is not so cheap. Summers are very hot. Indian food is available easily.
Driving test/ classes cost a lot of money.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote