Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 16:29   #886
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,825
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Hello, do we have anyone here based in San Antonio, TX? Like to learn on basic stuff like living, schooling etc.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 18:23   #887
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
I have already posted this story. Want to let everyone knows about the exact situation here, especially in IT.

HI BinFord
I am a IT Business Analyst and looking for applying PR for Australia.

It wont be appropriate to post specific queries on this forum. Being a newbie does not permit me to send you a PM. Will it be possible for you to drop me a mail and I can share some of my doubts with you on it? I am in the process of evaluation and on the verge of starting my skill assessment with the ACS.

My email id is sg.contact@gmail.com. Any help from you or any other member on this forum will be very useful.

Thanks in Advance
ShankarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 07:44   #888
BHPian
 
BinFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane,AUS
Posts: 107
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Hi Shankar

Thanks for your message.

What exactly you are looking for?You can write to me on binugopal@gmail.com

Thanks
Binu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
HI BinFord
I am a IT Business Analyst and looking for applying PR for Australia.

It wont be appropriate to post specific queries on this forum. Being a newbie does not permit me to send you a PM. Will it be possible for you to drop me a mail and I can share some of my doubts with you on it? I am in the process of evaluation and on the verge of starting my skill assessment with the ACS.

My email id is sg.contact@gmail.com. Any help from you or any other member on this forum will be very useful.

Thanks in Advance
BinFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 06:53   #889
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,315 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Hello, do we have anyone here based in San Antonio, TX? Like to learn on basic stuff like living, schooling etc.
Lovely touristy town. Especially the Alamo and the River Walk areas. Have visited the place and had a lot of fun there as a tourist.
Texas is usually a good place to live because taxes are lower and there are those lovely "great open spaces" around.
I think it might be handy to live a little outside town in a suburb because in any tourist town, the city centre areas are likely to be more expensive to live in, not to mention the crowds in the season...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 09:24   #890
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 581
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Given a choice between

Start fresh at Australia -

1) no job in hand
2) family to take care of (got 15 years of work experience in india and single earning member of the family)
3) no significant savings (can run for 3-6 months without a regular job)

vs

Getting a reasonably good paying job in India

1) with some definitely good benefits in the long term (4-5 years) insurance, health care, subsidy for school fees, incentives, etc.
2) Could use this opportunity to build savings and career certifications and eventually move abroad with some good savings and career prospects.

What would you chose ?
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 12:55   #891
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 363
Thanked: 278 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Given a choice between

Start fresh at Australia -

1) no job in hand
2) family to take care of (got 15 years of work experience in india and single earning member of the family)
3) no significant savings (can run for 3-6 months without a regular job)

vs

Getting a reasonably good paying job in India

1) with some definitely good benefits in the long term (4-5 years) insurance, health care, subsidy for school fees, incentives, etc.
2) Could use this opportunity to build savings and career certifications and eventually move abroad with some good savings and career prospects.

What would you chose ?
I would choose 2nd option (India) hands down eyes closed.

Considering your single earning status with family, and a back up of only 3-6 months sounds TOO RISKY.

Emigrating to Australia + finding a suitable job, I would easily put in 12 -14 months on it. I am aware of a guy who tried this. He already had a PR and had chosen the area of Perth as his work place. Left his job in a major Indian IT company, flew to Australia and then zilch no jobs for almost 3 months. Latest heard he is back here job hunting.

Meanwhile, Do you have an Australian PR ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 13:05   #892
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 581
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Thank you. I do have a PR. I am also told that the job market is pretty tight now and might get better in a year or two.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 14:21   #893
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,317
Thanked: 689 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Guys, I work in the IT Industry - not a hardcore techie but working as a Service Manager/Release Manager - this is associated with the ITIL framework. Hope most of you know the role I work in. I did, some years ago, want to move out of the country but due to various reasons, I could not. I am rethinking the idea and am doing some research on the best places to go to. Though the US is a good option - my sis/bil live there and are GC holders, my friends tell me that Canada has better options - for the profile I work in. Can you give me some insights?

I have been reading up also on the Express Immigration for Canada and that sounds much more easier. Please advise.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 20:16   #894
BHPian
 
KaandBaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 181
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, I work in the IT Industry my friends tell me that Canada has better options - for the profile I work in. Can you give me some insights?

I have been reading up also on the Express Immigration for Canada and that sounds much more easier. Please advise.
If you have someone in Canada living in Manitoba they can sponsor you for PNP program. It is the easiest way inside the country without job offer.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 05:48   #895
BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: B'lore
Posts: 263
Thanked: 335 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Given a choice between

Start fresh at Australia -

vs

Getting a reasonably good paying job in India
For your situation option 2 hands down. If you were a bachelor the risk would have been worth it but with family it will be a gamble. But again as they say "No risk, no reward". So it depends on your risk appetite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Emigrating to Australia + finding a suitable job, I would easily put in 12 -14 months on it....
I dont think it will take that long but then depends on your skillset. With the host of PR holders all around me here, what I learn is the market is kinda tight right now with only available jobs(contractual) are mostly in public sector. Most of the PR holding colleagues here who are first timers had to search for anything between 2-6 months for first break. And for first timers pay its not too high when compared to 457 holders.

Hence, like I suggested someone else as well a while ago its best you try to come from an indian company first on 457. Gauge the situation and possibilities for your skill, make some contacts and then take the plunge. This will be minimal risk way to go.

All the best
Soumen

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th June 2015 at 05:50.
SoumenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 13:42   #896
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 581
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
For your situation option 2 hands down. If you were a bachelor the risk would have been worth it but with family it will be a gamble. But again as they say "No risk, no reward". So it depends on your risk appetite.

Hence, like I suggested someone else as well a while ago its best you try to come from an indian company first on 457. Gauge the situation and possibilities for your skill, make some contacts and then take the plunge. This will be minimal risk way to go.

All the best
Soumen
Few lessons learned:

1) be ready to face the unknowns at any point of life ( i never had too bad situations so never thought of it) Even when i lost my job, got a new one in a week - never thought what would happen if i am jobless beyond a month.
2) From first month of getting salary (Be in India or anywhere) make sure you save $100 or INR 100 - come what may. Find avenues for increasing wealth through legal and safe manner.
3) have at least 1 year of current CTC in savings account.
4) Make realistic spends - that new car can wait
5) Move/migrate, do what you want when you have the savings. Even if you cannot find a job immediately, you would not starve during that phase.

If 3-5 is followed, then questions on risk/what would happen to me etc. would be moot. Life would go on with some predictability.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 15:01   #897
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Given a choice between
HI
I See myself in the same boat as yours. I am the only earning member of family and planning to move to Australia. Have got insightful reviews from people on this thread and thanks to them.

Job market is pretty tight right now that's a hard reality to bite. A suitable option which even I am looking forward to is to move to an Indian IT company having operations in Australia. Eg. Infosys Australia, TCS Australia etc. Such companies do have suitable opportunities but the pay etc is not really at par with the locals out there. But this is a trade off. Moreover, it all boils down to a risk of around ~ 10-12 lakhs (~4.5 lakhs for PR Application etc and balance to fly there and the job search period). I am considering an effort of around 3-5 months and doing some kind of part time work there to sustain the living expenses. One of my friend had actually worked at a local store delivery boy to sustain till the time he didn't get the offer letter.

Ultimately it's just a matter of choice between the geographies. My opinion is that if i feel my family's future in Australia will be much better both financially as well as socially than what it is here in India, please do give it a shot. An average individual's willingness to relocate usually goes southwards as the roots go deep. One should not have a feeling of regret later in life of not trying only.
ShankarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 15:52   #898
BHPian
 
Maverick79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 567
Thanked: 521 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Gentlemen!
How about the job market in Canada.
Esp for a 12-15 years experienced guy in Manufacturing in Auto OEMs.
It would be great if anybody already in Canada has something to say..
Looking for my close pal!

Regards,
Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 17:59   #899
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 581
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Job market is pretty tight right now that's a hard reality to bite. A suitable option which even I am looking forward to is to move to an Indian IT company having operations in Australia. Eg. Infosys Australia, TCS Australia etc. Such companies do have suitable opportunities but the pay etc is not really at par with the locals out there. But this is a trade off. Moreover, it all boils down to a risk of around ~ 10-12 lakhs (~4.5 lakhs for PR Application etc and balance to fly there and the job search period). I am considering an effort of around 3-5 months and doing some kind of part time work there to sustain the living expenses. One of my friend had actually worked at a local store delivery boy to sustain till the time he didn't get the offer letter.
post visa expenses and tickets you would be left with AUD12600 approx. which might not be enough to sustain. Unless you are sure of support (housing/schooling) during the time of your job hunt. I'd say if you are going with family, make sure you have AUD50k at least. Opinions could vary.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 07:24   #900
BHPian
 
BinFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane,AUS
Posts: 107
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I would choose 2nd option (India) hands down eyes closed.

Considering your single earning status with family, and a back up of only 3-6 months sounds TOO RISKY.

Emigrating to Australia + finding a suitable job, I would easily put in 12 -14 months on it. I am aware of a guy who tried this. He already had a PR and had chosen the area of Perth as his work place. Left his job in a major Indian IT company, flew to Australia and then zilch no jobs for almost 3 months. Latest heard he is back here job hunting.

Meanwhile, Do you have an Australian PR ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Thank you. I do have a PR. I am also told that the job market is pretty tight now and might get better in a year or two.
Indeed yes,but opportunities are more compared to 2013-2014.If you got real skills definitely you will get the job.However there is no guarantee when and at what time? I struggled for 10 months for first break and was in the verge of returning to India :(
BinFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800) ranjitp1 Travelogues 104 2nd August 2016 15:17
Sandakphu (erstwhile land of Land Rovers) reloaded! 1100D Travelogues 30 13th October 2015 17:53
Toyota Land Cruiser 2004 Worth? vishnugnair Shifting gears 24 5th May 2004 04:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks