Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th December 2014, 14:10   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 1950's, 60's and 70's Hindi songs?

Mukesh for Anil Biswas : Dil jalta hai to jalne de - As one of my friend says , the dard in Mukesh's voice - no one else has. And without Anil Biswas there would have been no Mukesh. Though 'Dil jalta hai' has Mukesh imitating KL Saigal, it was Anil Biswas who asked Mukesh to develop hos own style of singing. Lovely first song for the legendary singer

Enjoy!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 20:25   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Some songs that he sang for Dev Anand were great too. What a fabulous singer he was!
To me it would some from Asli Naqli and Love Marriage. But the best of Dev by Rafi according to me is "Tere Ghar ke Saame" and Kala Bazaar.

Here are two songs one from each which according to me signify flawless delivery. (Of I course I wont say they were the best. Because you just cant decide!)

Note the pace of this song and the effect of echo. One of the rarest combos: SD Burman with Hasrat Jaipuri. All the songs are classics.

And the second one from Kala Bazar. One should see the enactment of this song to appreciate the beauty of the lyrics (Shailendra and SD).

ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 00:15   #78
BHPian

Hi everybody
Ampere. AFAIR Ek Dil Sau Afsane didnt do well at the box office.
A few posts back somebody mentioned about a song with minimal any music in it.
Reminds of 2 songs of M. Rafi. I doubt if any other would have been able to sing so well. Both from Lall Qilla . Penned by Bahadur Shah Zafar

A)
B)
Another Rafi, which was his favourite is from the film Mela.

Enjoy Rgds
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 08:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Just like Mukesh' entry in bollywood by singing what looked like a KL Saigal rendering, Manhar Udhaas debuted in Bollywood by singing Loote Koi Man Ka Nagar for Abhimaan, originally meant for Mukesh.

A classic song from Kala Pani, another Dev starrer, is Achchha Ji Main Haari ... picturised on Dev and Madhubala and sung by Asha and Rafi. It's a treat to watch it on screen too, and to listen to it too - a rarity since most songs are either a visual or an audio treat but not both.

And I remember light hearted comments referring to this song asking how could Dev turn stone cold to the sweetest of pleas made by one of the most beautiful faces and in one of the sweetest voices!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 08:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

I love the song, "mein zindagi ka saath nibhaata chala gaya" from Hum Dono. Bhajan by Lata in the same movie is great too.
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 14:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And the second one from Kala Bazar. One should see the enactment of this song to appreciate the beauty of the lyrics (Shailendra and SD).
That is a lovely song picturised over a lovely lady

My contribution for today - Mukesh again in a dard bhari voice. But this time for Roshan. Less known movie, Bawre Nain - Teri duniya me dil lagta nahin

Our uncle had a LP record having songs from Bawre Nain and Nau Bahar, both gems by Roshan - used to be the most played one during my childhood visits to my hometown

In this song the flute almost plays like a shruti/drone in the background. Almost all songs in the above two movies had beautiful flute interludes

Roshan's last movie must most probably be Mamta starring Suchitra Sen in a double role. The title music of the film turned out to be very popular

http://indiamp3.com/music/download.php?song_id=19798

Last edited by mallumowgli : 17th December 2014 at 14:43.
Old 17th December 2014, 14:41   #82
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I love the song, "mein zindagi ka saath nibhaata chala gaya" from Hum Dono. Bhajan by Lata in the same movie is great too.
Great composition from Jaidev, and also that music tune from lighter played in both 'mein jindgi ka saath...' and slightly slower one in 'Aabhi naa jaao chhod kar'

All songs from Hum Dono are great.

Another movie with remarkable Jaidev composition - Gharonda.
Do diwane shaher mein...
Ek akela is shaher mein...
Tumhe ho na ho - a fantastic song from Runa Laila

JLS
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 23:35   #83
BHPian

A classic song from Kala Pani, another Dev starrer, is Achchha Ji Main Haari ... picturised on Dev and Madhubala and sung by Asha and Rafi. It's a treat to watch it on screen too, and to listen to it too - a rarity since most songs are either a visual or an audio treat but not both.

And I remember light hearted comments referring to this song asking how could Dev turn stone cold to the sweetest of pleas made by one of the most beautiful faces and in one of the sweetest voices![/quote]

Honeybee
Hi.
What an amazing smile. Wonder if your vote(for the best smile) will go to Madhubala or Madhuri Dixit. Off topic. In Hollywood it would be Julia Roberts.

Mallumowgli. You are referring to Mamta. Am I right. Did quite well at the box office.
AFAIR her first Hindi movie was Bambai ka Babu. An amazing song from that movie by Rafi.

Enjoy Regards
Old 18th December 2014, 09:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Mallumowgli. You are referring to Mamta.
Talking about Mamta, I love these two songs, "rahe na rahe hum" by Lata and "Chupa lo yun dil mein pyaar mera" by Hemantda and Lata.
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 13:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mallumowgli. You are referring to Mamta. Am I right.
Yes, I did mention that. Missed it?

Quote:
AFAIR her first Hindi movie was Bambai ka Babu. An amazing song from that movie by Rafi.
Rafi at his plaintive best.

The photography is brilliant in this movie. The other song Bambai se aaya hai has entertaining choreography too - simple and engaging

And it also has a song by my idol, Mukesh. Chal ree sajni...

Old 18th December 2014, 14:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

For me it's Madhubala without question.

Anyone remembers a movie named Jaal starring Vishwajit and Mala Sinha? It has a beautiful Rafi number "Akela hoon main humsafar dhoondhta hoon"
Old 19th December 2014, 00:59   #87
BHPian

Mallumowgli. Hi
Oops missed it.
One of Manna Dey's best. Love the lines"dete hain bhagwan ko dhoka insaan ko kya...

Very good and a little known Kishore song from the movie Alag Alag.The movie didnt do well at the box office

Enjoy. Regards
Old 19th December 2014, 22:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Someone had mentioned the best Lori (lullaby) to be the one from Albela.

I don't know about the best one, but the one I like the most is from the movie Sadma, sung by Yesudas "Surmayi Akhiyon Mein ..." I think the music to this movie is by the great Ilaya Raja. Immortal song.
Old 19th December 2014, 23:36   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybodyAmpere. AFAIR Ek Dil Sau Afsane didnt do well at the box office.
Yes the movie did not do well. But songs were awesome. On some of the tragic songs:

- Daag: Every one only knows about Ae mere dil kahin song. But there is one more from the same movie: Hum Dard Ke maron ka by Talat.

- Madhumati : Every one knows about all the Mukesh numbers. But there is Rafi song too which almost goes unnoticed. Toote hue Khwaboon Ne.. A flat song, but amazingly sung. Of course there is one more Rafi Song in the movie: Jungle Me Mor Nacha kise ne na dekha.

Having said that, this is one topic, which almost becomes the main for the movie! The Side Kick and his story. Esp. Jonny Walker and Rafi. Every one knows about the all the staple ones. But here is one, which I am sure many would not have heard. But is one of the most lively one to listen to!

Jonny, SD, Rafi in Baat Ek Raat Ki

PS: Notice the Drums and Rhythm. RD was I think slowly coming in. (He was the Assistant Music Director)

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2014 at 23:57.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 00:51   #90
BHPian

Ampere
Hi
Talking of sad songs at some point/points of time in your life you like to listen to sad songs. There is a word(not in English) for it. Had posted on FB 3/4 months back.
Also every person relates a song, most probably sad, to the mood of the moment and the turmoil within.
Here is a song by Talat Mehmod titled" hai sabse madhur woh geet jinhe hum dard ke sur mein gaate hain"

Honeybee. Hi.I was the one who posted that Albela lullaby. Incidentally today on Times Now saw this song. The show was titled "Legends who passed away" and showed clips of Balu Mahendra the director.
Regards