Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 20:46   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,085
Thanked: 2,220 Times
Smile Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

One movie which I can think of is Double Impact starring Jean Clau Van damme. Typical two brothers (Van damme in double role) seperated at birth and united as adults, taking revenge on the bad guys who killed their parents. So very close to so many Hindi movie plots.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 21:16   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,669
Thanked: 6,718 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I might be posting on the wrong thread, but Fight Club (Brad Pitt) movie is copied into Hindi. I think it goes with the same name AFAIK - Fight club or something similar. That was the reason I said it was "glaringly" copied

"Vicky Khanna (Zayed Khan) lives a comfortable rich lifestyle with his widowed businessman dad in Bombay, who is always busy and has no time to spend with him. He generally hangs out with some of his college friends, Karan Chopra (Dino Morea), Somil (Riteish Deshmukh), and Dhiku (Aashish Chaudhary), who have just been fired from their respective jobs. While at a night club, he comes across several college students who want to settle scores physically. Vicky gets the idea to open up a fight club, a place where antagonists would settle scores with each other for a fee. The four friends find out that there are approximately 67 students who want to beat each other up, and thus the fight club is formed - with venues that are picked randomly in the wee hours all over Bombay Fight Club
I have not watched the Hindi movie. But the novel and the movie in English have a completely different plot.
The fighters in Fight Club are not fighting to settle scores with anyone but themselves. Its their way of finding life and its meaning. For a generation of men raised by women, the means to be wild, reckless. However this is not the main story. The main story is running inside the head of a guy who investigates car issues.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 12:10   #18
BHPian
 
gtonsing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 300
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

I have not read the book. Sounds entirely different with the film. The film is all about Multiple Personality Disorder! (and what a way to portray it - little graphic for the faint hearted but what cinematography, what direction and what superb acting) I want the book now - sounds interesting. Weekend : gangarams book shop visit [check]
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:40   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

One movie I can think of that seems inspired by Bolloywood is Parent Trap (with Lindsay Logan in double role as a child actor.) The two girls are separately living with their "separated" parents and they accidently meet each other during summer excursion. they decide to switch places to meet the other parent and then in the end, end up uniting them.
I am sure there was an old hindi movie with practically same story, although cant recall its name.

But then, in retrospect that hindi movie itself might have been based on some even older hollywood ( or some other cinema) movie (as is so often the case and true for most of the examples in this thread).
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 14:11   #20
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
One movie I can think of that seems inspired by Bolloywood is Parent Trap (with Lindsay Logan in double role as a child actor.) The two girls are separately living with their "separated" parents and they accidently meet each other during summer excursion. they decide to switch places to meet the other parent and then in the end, end up uniting them.
I am sure there was an old hindi movie with practically same story, although cant recall its name.

But then, in retrospect that hindi movie itself might have been based on some even older hollywood ( or some other cinema) movie (as is so often the case and true for most of the examples in this thread).
This movie is based on a book and has been made into many movies around the world including india. I think the earliest movie was made in Germany in 1950, then there was the original Parent Trap in 1960, followed by a Tamil version starring Kutti Padmini in 1965, which was followed by the Hindi version ( Do Kaliyaan) in 1968 starring Biswajeet and Mala Sinha.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 13:52   #21
BHPian
 
MalluDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cochin
Posts: 383
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Well, they have taken the movie after close to two decades after the original - that too Avatar was in the making for years. Lets give them credit for the special effects that took so long to perfect on an age old plot
Avatar's plot cannot be said to be copied from Vietnam Colony.

The plot's been there for quite some time, starting Lawrence of Arabia(1962).
MalluDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 11:39   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,599
Thanked: 840 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

I hope the Tamil writer who protested that Gravity is copied from his script has seen the English movie. He was going to sue the producers of Gravity
His version was that a Plane escapes gravity and drifts into space with the passengers (would work for our audience provided Rajani brings it back).
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 13:31   #23
BHPian
 
Turbo_Torq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 183
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Although you guys might be familiar with this, I'm posting it as a quick reminder! Name:  newangel.gif
Views: 607
Size:  1.8 KB

Name:  avatar23.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  avatar21.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  mainqimgb5bb604dafa21e4c0217e937eebfd4e1.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  24.6 KB
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 13:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 4,603 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Although you guys might be familiar with this, I'm posting it as a quick reminder!
Hilarious! ROFL!!
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 13:46   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 228
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
One movie I can think of that seems inspired by Bolloywood is Parent Trap (with Lindsay Logan in double role as a child actor.) The two girls are separately living with their "separated" parents and they accidently meet each other during summer excursion. they decide to switch places to meet the other parent and then in the end, end up uniting them.
I am sure there was an old hindi movie with practically same story, although cant recall its name.

But then, in retrospect that hindi movie itself might have been based on some even older hollywood ( or some other cinema) movie (as is so often the case and true for most of the examples in this thread).
The hindi movie is "Pyar ke do pal" starring Mithunda & Jaya prada
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 18:14   #26
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 688
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

The manga comic type animation in Kill Bill was inspired from Kamal Hassans 'Abhay ' which had similar animated action sequences. Tarantino admits it openly on his interviews.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 18:24   #27
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 688
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I might be posting on the wrong thread, but Fight Club (Brad Pitt) movie is copied into Hindi. I think it goes with the same name AFAIK - Fight club or something similar. That was the reason I said it was "glaringly" copied

"Vicky Khanna (Zayed Khan) lives a comfortable rich lifestyle with his widowed businessman dad in Bombay, who is always busy and has no time to spend with him. He generally hangs out with some of his college friends, Karan Chopra (Dino Morea), Somil (Riteish Deshmukh), and Dhiku (Aashish Chaudhary), who have just been fired from their respective jobs. While at a night club, he comes across several college students who want to settle scores physically. Vicky gets the idea to open up a fight club, a place where antagonists would settle scores with each other for a fee. The four friends find out that there are approximately 67 students who want to beat each other up, and thus the fight club is formed - with venues that are picked randomly in the wee hours all over Bombay Fight Club
That movie was a sad rip off of the original Hollywood fight club!

EDIT:I just realised this was a dormant thread.

Last edited by drsingh : 21st October 2013 at 18:31.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 20:31   #28
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 251
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

'Just go with it' was a scene by scene copy of 'Maine Pyar Kyun Kia'!
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 20:53   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Maine pyar kyun kiya is based on Cactus Flower ( 1969). Just go with it is based on Cactus Flower.
ashokrajagopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:07   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,669
Thanked: 6,718 Times
Default Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
That movie was a sad rip off of the original Hollywood fight club!

EDIT:I just realised this was a dormant thread.
No it was not.

The original Fight Club is based on a novel by my favorite author Chuck Palahniuk.
The story is not about the setting up of fighting clubs for youth to vent out frustration. Its much deeper than that.
Its about the inner turmoil of the protagonist. Its about anarchy and a yearning to go back to simpler times.

The Hindi movie is a masala non-sense.

I suggest you read the novel.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) benbsb29 Shifting gears 6936 23rd January 2018 11:03
Number plates in languages other than English Hackett The Indian Car Scene 70 28th October 2011 09:25
TTXGP - Joint Indian-English company Agni blitzes in first clean emissions Grand Prix ksreddy Int'l Motorsport 2 13th June 2009 14:43
English Premier League vance0712 Shifting gears 15 4th March 2005 10:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:51.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks