Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2005, 09:49   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
20$. There are many such softwares available for free also. Use openoffice(Open source office, openoffice.org to write out pdf from doc file, open the pdf in free image editing program like gimp and then save as jpg.
20$ is for those who want to buy it.this is the software i use.it is very good.there maybe other free softwares but i havent tried to find them.Maybe we can get good free software,but DOC to PDF and then onto JPG is too long a process.

secondly we dont want a image that acrobat reader can easily read and convert it to text again.
Old 9th November 2005, 10:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

The best thing happening in this thread. Collective younger brains unleashing thier ideas. Good start.

Is this similar to images having their uneditable web-site address at the background?
Old 9th November 2005, 10:14   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Is this similar to images having their uneditable web-site address at the background?
yes similar,but here we are posting the text as an image and stamping it with T-bhp and owner names so that no one can cut paste.

if they want it they will have to type it down,and i kown most of them will not bother to.currently i am trying to make the image a little bit more complex so that OCR will become useless.
Old 9th November 2005, 10:43   #154
Team-BHP Support

How about using gif or png. I dunno of Acrobat can handle those image formates. Gimp can convert pdf to image of any format
Old 9th November 2005, 10:48   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
How about using gif or png. I dunno of Acrobat can handle those image formates. Gimp can convert pdf to image of any format
wont really help since any image editor can save a gif or png as a jpg or bmp.
can u try and find out if there are any free software similar to the one i have.
Old 9th November 2005, 10:50   #156
Senior - BHPian

I dont use Adobe, preferring Active PDF composer instead. As with other PDF creators, you have the option here of disabling text selection. I use this with confidential documents where I wouldnt want our documents copied and I disable PRINT on these as well so that the user cannot print the document into yet another PDF from where he can copy text.

Just a thought...
Old 9th November 2005, 10:57   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
are u talking about Acrobat 7.if u are talking about OCR in acro the it needs much clear and higher resolution image.it is same for many OCR softwares.the image clarity must be optimum,else OCR errors are huge.so if we dirty the image a little OCR will not perform.
You can always handover over the printout to a job typist and get the contents transcribed into a text file, how can you beat that?
Old 9th November 2005, 11:05   #158
Team-BHP Support

you cannot beat a hard core pirate. If somewane wants to palagarize, he/she will, you cannot stop that person
Old 9th November 2005, 11:09   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
You can always handover over the printout to a job typist and get the contents transcribed into a text file, how can you beat that?
common we are not trying to protect CIA documents here.Do you think a person trying to get free reviews will go and spend money on printing pictures and sending them to typist.all they want is fast and free text that they can cut and post.

if you guys need such high security,sorry i cannot help,all i can do more is make the image more and more difficult for the best OCR software to read.

let me put it this way text to image is very easy,but image to text using OCR software is very difficult if image is not crystal clear.all we can do is make it harder for cheats to get the text,we can never stop them on a forum.they wont even need a typist,they can type it down from the image,but most likely they wont bother and will try and find the same thing elsewhere.

@steeroid,how can we post pdf files here.what we want is a review that everyone can read without having to download anyting from anywhere,just like we do now.so the concept of a image.because an image feels just like text when the background in white.only drawback is image size is about 100kb.

currently i am on the verge of fooling Omnipage Pro wich is a very very good OCR software.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 9th November 2005 at 11:16.
Old 9th November 2005, 11:14   #160
Senior - BHPian

We are working our best to get a solution to stop/make hard to copy our reviews, but at the same time, pls run a thought at the back of you mind that this solution should not create any usability issue or it should not take time to get the review published in the site.
Old 9th November 2005, 11:19   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
only drawback is image size is about 100kb.
In other words, 1KB text will now become 100KB image. I know you are thinking broadband can handle it. What about the web server, you suggestion will increase the web server volume by 100 times. No website can afford such a increase.
Old 9th November 2005, 11:20   #162
Senior - BHPian

the image solution is very simple.all the mods have to do is convert the documents to image and then apply the security tricks on the image and publish it here.not a hard job because we have so many mods and thee are not many reviews that come frequently.

for security some things will have to be comprised(to a lesser extent).it will be better than feeling bad about stolen reviews.
Old 9th November 2005, 11:29   #163
Team-BHP Support

Besides, we will lose our ability to quote while replying.
Old 9th November 2005, 12:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
In other words, 1KB text will now become 100KB image. I know you are thinking broadband can handle it. What about the web server, you suggestion will increase the web server volume by 100 times. No website can afford such a increase.
what webserver?we are using imageshack to host our images and not team-bhp's webserver.so there is no question of server volume increase.

and how many reviews are we going to see.maximum 1000 in a year.

so that becomes 100mb at the maximum,cant t-bhp handle that much.

and why do you need to quote a review.a review is to be read and appreciated or critisizer or whatever.cant we compromise that much for the sake of some security.

if you have any other idea tell me.there is nothing such as fool proof security and because the requirments are so diverse some will have to be comprimised.
Old 9th November 2005, 12:39   #165
Senior - BHPian

i have modified the image(text to image) to make it difficult for OCR(image to text).see the image and the OCR results.what do you think about it.

Note:none of the images have been compressed to reduce size.that part will come later.

Image:

OCR:

Word DOC:

so currently the only drawbacks are.

1)Cheats can copy the review if they bother to type,which is unlikely since they want no pain all gain(i dont see a solution to this problem).

2)quoting part of a review is not possible,as a whole yes.(no solution to this in sight atleast for now).

3)size(will definately be reduced).

anything else you people think is a problem?

Last edited by merve_extreme : 9th November 2005 at 12:44.
Closed Thread