Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th November 2015, 15:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I intend starting some sort of charity for people suffering from asthma in Mumbai.
Hello, I don't have much knowledge of the actual procedure of setting up an NGO, getting it registered and other formalities, legal & governmental. However since you seem to want to get started on the actual cause quickly, why not start small? As someone with bronchitis myself, I found that most doctors would not hesitate to prescribe bronchodilators like Asthalin or steroidal inhalers like Seroflo etc which are not only very expensive but also come with side-effects like tremors and such. There are also very inexpensive medicines which typically act the same way without the overdose or extra cost.

Hence I think you should begin small, create awareness on natural causes of asthma like allergens, ambient pollution, weather (cold weather is the root cause 99 out of 100 times). There are many people susceptible to asthma bodily, but never feel it if they're in coastal cities because humid, moist air with natural sea salts act as great bronchodilators themselves. There are many things one can do to prevent breathing problems which can range from avoiding milk, learning yoga, exercise, keeping warm & natural homemade medicines like honey+ginger, boiled turmeric milk, raw garlic etc. Sugars & milk associated products are main triggers of breathing problems which will never be raised by the medical community as their job is to cure and not so much to prevent. Of course in severe cases indeed inhalers and/or antibiotics will be needed which are expensive.

I always felt greater awareness is needed about asthma without considering it a major illness. Mostly people will gain immunity by 20/21 and its symptoms will lessen to a vast extent, the rest should be controlled cleverly by lifestyle. Health is always holistic and poor quality air, food & water will do their bit to make such problems seem incurable, I began to understand all this by doing research since I was tired of the same old medicines issued by my doc. Over 50% asthma cases come to light when people change cities and their body cannot cope with sudden atmospheric differences. Maybe a combination of pamphlets, aligning with pre-existing asthma benefit organizations & funding medicines for the needy would be the best way to start.

Last edited by dark.knight : 11th November 2015 at 15:08.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 16:18   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities

Alter.e.go, AFAIK, you will need to register this as a charitable trust so that you do not have the hassle of paying taxes on the donations made and all people who donate can get this tax exempted. You will need an account created and a company registered in the name of the charity. Talk to any lawyer who helps setting up companies and you should be okay.

For traction, social media is the best bet. Talk to the pharma companies who manufacture these drugs and try to partner with them. Or in this world of startups, try partnering with companies like 1mg as this will get them a lot of visibility and goodwill and then work your way forward.

Hi all
Just chanced upon this thread. I work with the Robin Hood army, a volunteer based organization that works to get surplus food from restaurants across to the less fortunate people in cities across Pakistan and India.

We are looking for volunteers and food partners (caterers/restaurants). If anyone is interested to join, send me a PM or register on the website and someone will contact you.

We will also be doing a bunch of blanket drives soon, in case you or your companies want to join.

Its not limited to Delhi and is open to anyone interested. We can work out the details later.

Thanks
Akshay
akshaymahajan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 14:28   #48

Default Team BHP Kolkata - Flood Relief

Dear Team Bhp Kolkata Members , you you all know about the prevailing flood situation in West Bengal , few members have been discussing about what we can do to contribute to people suffering from this devastating floods. Thousands of villagers are under water and people really need our help. Our members are in touch with the BDO of Ghatal and we are trying to find out their requirements so that we can do the needful. I request all Team Bhp members in Kolkata to come together for this urgent call for help. We are a brotherhood and lets help them. Thanks. Here are the contact numbers of some of our members. Dear Admin , sir , This is an urgent post and i might miss Team Bhp handles for most members.

P.S : We would require 4x4 vehicles with high ground clearances as most of the roads are under water.

Thanking you in adcance

Debarshi
(Cloudmobile_deb)

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2017 at 11:21. Reason: Sorry, we cannot allow the public posting of the cellphone numbers of others
Cloudmobile_deb is offline   Reply With Quote