Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd June 2010, 11:10   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Moronic idea of safety.

On the elevator to my office today, a person asked me why I wear my leather jacket and gloves in this hot sun. I told it is purely for safety and that there are too many morons (like you, which I thought in my mind) who don't care about anybody's safety. He was like: What motorcycle do you ride. I told I ride a TVS Victor which all the more necessitates wearing safety apparel since it has not got the best tires or the best brakes. He: What speed do you ride. I said 'Max 60' (That's the legal limit and the sanest speed even on empty stretches). He was laughing and said 'You think you'll crash at that speed'.

That was 'Ghav pe namak' since I had just a close brush with an idiot white-dress (politician-wannabe?) chauffeur driven who over took me from the wrong side of the road when I was waiting for a right turn with my indicator on. His car brushed my bike and my hand . Fortunately nothing happened to me, but there was a dark line across his rear left door from my bike's brake.

I feel like thrashing them. But that's not possible in the 21st century, atleast legally.

Last edited by hellmet : 3rd June 2010 at 11:13.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You should not bother when such people speak as no one realizes unless something happens to them. Continue riding safe as its your life and not the others
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
You should not bother when such people speak as no one realizes unless something happens to them. Continue riding safe as its your life and not the others
True. When that wannabe politician started speaking I clearly knew where he was going. I told "I know what you're going to say" and I just left. Nothing I would have said would matter to him at all.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes Hellmet, safety is of prime importance. Do not bother about what others say or comment.

In fact, I feel that all bikers must always wear the complete set of accessories given in the link below. These can prevent a lot of broken bones :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...thread-33.html (The Riding Gear thread)

Wishing you happy & safe riding
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:28   #5
BHPian

Safety features and gadgets are absolutely not needed at all at low speeds . . . . till you meet your first accident and probably die or become disabled.
After that it's too late.

It's unfortunate that so many people only rely on past experiences etc to draw conclusions and do not think forward when anything could happen.
I mean - you can't fasten your seatbelt after a crash and make up for anything!
And wearing a helmet after you are wheeled into the emergency department will look stupid!
And putting on gloves after getting your fingers bruised and scraped will not help heal the wound!
I would any day prefer drawing a few weird stares or comments wearing my helmet or seatbelt at low speeds to regretting it later.
Hellmet- I'm glad you wear your safety stuff and even if you inspire one more person to do the same you've potentially saved a life.

Of course the person you met needs more than that to save him!!
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dude, i know how it is. I started riding my first two wheeler in 1991 and it was always with a helmet, a full face Studds Classic. At that time it was unheard of and it was always amusing for my friends, until they saw someone fall from his bike at the speed of 20 kmph about 10 feet from them and die. No other scratch on him apart from an open skull and brain on the street.

That was the last day those guys ever laughed at my helmet.

Dont bother about such people, its you who is going to be saved by good gear not them.

Last edited by sammyboy : 3rd June 2010 at 16:42.
sammyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:00   #7
BHPian

its shocking that people in India still think that leather jackets are to be worn only by film stars and helmets by people going up the space.

We have something called the NICE road, where most of the two wheeler guys ride without the helmet. Many are busy with romancing in the 2 wheeler dangerously on the road. There is no checking on this road, since it privately owned and not accessible to the traffic cops.

Forget alone two wheeler, i have seen people busy in their cars too. Its so dangerous, i dont know when people will learn in India.Just this morning, i saw a FORD ikon being driven like mad, the driver was very busy.

But i have seen a maruti 800 too with the Forum sticker being busy too. i was very shocked.

The township where i stay too doesnt have any checking by traffic cops. Most of the guys ride without the helmets, wearing a leather jacket, gloves are unheard off.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 3rd June 2010 at 17:10.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:07   #8
BHPian

busy means?

Sorry about my ignorance - how does a leather jacket add to safety.
I always thought people wore it for style.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Forget alone two wheeler, i have seen people busy in their cars too. Its so dangerous, i dont know when people will learn in India.Just this morning, i saw a FORD ikon being driven like mad, the driver was very busy.

But i have seen a maruti 800 too without the Forum sticker being busy too. i was very shocked.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post

We have something called the NICE road, There is no checking on this road, since it privately owned and not accessible to the traffic cops.
Is this true?

I have my doubts.As far as Indian traffic laws are concerned I don't think this is possible.
Agreed that there is a toll and its built by our Mr. Kheni & Co. but still that does not make it inaccessible to traffic cops.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:19   #10
BHPian

Thanks Benji and all of you for the support. I have always adviced my (closest) friends to put safety before anything else and I always wear a seat belt when I get into a car even if someone comments. Heck, my username came from the phrase "Helmet or Hellmet" .
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Sorry about my ignorance - how does a leather jacket add to safety.
I always thought people wore it for style.
Besides head injury, other common injuries in accidents are severe abrasions, bleeding over the chest and body. A leather jacket helps prevent this.
To some extent it will also help to prevent injury to internal organs like the lungs, heart by cushioning a fall.
All motorbike riders in professional racing wear them and escape injury often - sure they are very special jackets though!
Ask anyone who has had a spill from a bike and rolled a few meters at slow speeds and you will know how a leather jacket will help.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:30   #12
BHPian

well AlterEgo, this is what the Toll supervisor had to tell me when i asked how they regulate the guys overspeeding. He said they do their best and said that the traffic cops are not allowed to get in, since a decision on this is still pending.

They have a jeep which goes up and down the road once in a while. I use this road everyday to reach my office and back home from few months now, but have never seen a traffic cop on this road.

by the way, i liked your handle, its really nice.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 3rd June 2010 at 17:49.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Besides head injury, other common injuries in accidents are severe abrasions, bleeding over the chest and body. A leather jacket helps prevent this.
To some extent it will also help to prevent injury to internal organs like the lungs, heart by cushioning a fall.
All motorbike riders in professional racing wear them and escape injury often - sure they are very special jackets though!
Ask anyone who has had a spill from a bike and rolled a few meters at slow speeds and you will know how a leather jacket will help.
Had 2 falls from my bike.. One due to my mistake and one due to a moron auto... Thankfully both times I was wearing my jacket.. Apart from surface bruises, nothing happened due to the jacket.. Actually, the 1st fall, my jacket go torn and saved me..
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:43   #14
BHPian

Busy= Uh..um .. Stuff that happens between two human sapiences of a different gender.
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

1) I am regularly being called Fool, coward, undisciplined, etc. only because I wear a helmet. Forget even leather jacket, just helmet invites these words. My friends ask me why I am wearing helmet even in summer ( Gujarat summers are really very hot ).

2) A few perceptions about Helmet :
-> Helmet increases chances of accident as the visibility gets severely limited.
-> Its over protective and the person wearing helmet shows his thought process/thinking. A person wearing helmet cannot take risks. That is what I have heard. Wearing helmet shows how a person is ? I call it a joke, but not majority.
-> Helmets are of no use because they break down on accident, so how can they protect head. What people dont understand is that the helmet breaks down as it absorbs the energy of the impact. So in process to absorb high energy impact, the helmet will break down itself. ( This breaking down of helmet is applicable only in case of high energy impacts ).
-> People wear helmets so that they can ride fast. The security of helmet allows helmet wearing people to ride rough and faster i.e. rash driving.
-> Its a baggage to carry around every time one moves around at places after parking bike, so its best to avoid using helmet.

That said, even my sister does not use helmet which is indigestible to me, but now I have stopped even discussing the issue. I leave it onto others to decide whether they want to wear helmet for their own safety or not.

This is just about helmet, imagine what would be reaction when one wears leather jacket along with helmet.

Avoid talking to these people, they will eventually realize their mistake.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote