Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th October 2005, 09:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default OLD THREAD : Chennai flooded

hi guys,
chennai is flooded today. got a call from my prject mate saying infy has declared a holiday.

my society is flooded in half foot of water, and streets are totally submerged.

waiting for more info to come. situation looks very grim.

please call ur offices before leaving.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 10:57   #2
BANNED

If your office is along the IT Highway / Old Mahabalipuram Road, please use ONLY the ECR (East Coast Road) to travel. There is some amount of water logging on the ECR but nothing unmanageable.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 11:30   #3
BHPian

I saw the news today morning, and saw that Chennai is in a real mess...probably a bigger mess than B'lore. They also said that its not only the low-lying areas that have been flooded, but also the other areas. My cousin stays near Anna Nagar in the ground floor of an apt. and said that the water has reached his chest.
The rains are causing a real havoc...and the govt. has also declared a 2 day holiday to all the residents of Chennai...Hope the situation gets better:(
Sid Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 11:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

It has been raining continously for the past 20 hrs & already the streets were loaded with full of waters. Expect electric trains to stop their services anytime. Taxi/Auto's not willing to go out for the day. Only few of the buses were operating.

If this continues, situation would be much worse.

Make sure you don't rest on the electric post

Chances of electricity leakage would be more, hence make sure always you wear your slippers ( even in your residence)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 13:03   #5
BHPian

Exclamation

i just came from koyambedu!!! and the car almost floated on the water!! when a bus went past me it was like i was at sea in turbulent waters!! ...
vadapalani is under knee deep waters (prolly more)... the whole place is a mess!!! most of the offices are closed!!! i just came in to see if i had some work but since i've come in.. i'll prolly stay till the weekend :
ak
AvinashKeezh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 13:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Gosh... I wonder if my car is alright... There was water till the bonnet and upto the window on the side... My immediate superior who stays close by called me and informed that he was leaving to work and so I decided to come to work too, and the roads from Adyar to Velachery are damn floded. I took the taramani route and that I think was my mistake...

My Indica flashed the check engine button twice during the journey and I still had to keep moving, mostly on 1st and 2nd gear on a low rpm [1500-1800] and somehow managed to reach work... Now am so worried if something is wrong with my car... Have made a post on the technical thread, so guyz plz help...
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 14:05   #7
BHPian

Its lashing like anything but not to the extent of offshore vortex which happened in Mumbai. It expect for continue for next 36 hours. Just wondering how to go chennai in my car. Now I am Blore.
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

It would be best to avoid coming into the city now.... There are traffic jams everywhere, specially near guindy, adyar, anna nagar and places.... And water everywhere..... Better to stay it out unless its absolutely necessary.... And i'm stuck in this island called velachery....
Old 27th October 2005, 16:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not so bad in my street in Royapettah, theyre saying the storm will pass close to Chennai sometime in the night, I dont know whether thats true, but it sounds scary.........
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 17:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

Thats true, Check out NRL satellite pic. A nasty one is about to come your way
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 17:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Like what is happening isn't enough, the worse is yet to come... wow... Now I need to wonder whether to take my car or leave it at work....
Old 27th October 2005, 18:46   #12
BHPian

Default Storm Alert on Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Not so bad in my street in Royapettah, theyre saying the storm will pass close to Chennai sometime in the night, I dont know whether thats true, but it sounds scary.........

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/27rain4.htm
Rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 22:38   #13
BHPian

First Mumbai, then Bangalore and now even chennai, situation in chennai is even worse than Bangalore. Here in Bangalore Govt. has extended holidays for two more days for schools and colleges.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Man the situation in Bangalore and Chennai looks very bad. Heard on TV that there isn't any kinda transportation or electricity is most places. Anyway, takecare guys.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 08:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

I ve had school leave yesterday and today.....for now its not raining......god knows where that storm is now.......
islero is offline   Reply With Quote