Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010?
Algeria 0 0%
Argentina 73 31.20%
Australia 1 0.43%
Brazil 24 10.26%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chile 0 0%
Côte d'Ivoire 2 0.85%
Denmark 0 0%
England 4 1.71%
France 1 0.43%
Germany 58 24.79%
Ghana 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Honduras 0 0%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Korea North 1 0.43%
Korea South 0 0%
Mexico 1 0.43%
Netherlands 20 8.55%
New Zealand 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Portugal 3 1.28%
Serbia 1 0.43%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 1 0.43%
South Africa 0 0%
Spain 41 17.52%
Switzerland 0 0%
United States 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.28%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th June 2010, 14:11   #151
Senior - BHPian

Engslish defence was never anywhere!! They cant be anywhere unless they are allowed to foul the way they do in EPL.

One good thing that has happened with the erratic and crazy referreeing (Yellow cards being shown even for so much as looking at the opponent LOL)is that the European bullying has gone down and this has helped the more beautiful Latin American Football to do better in this WC.

Its all juicy stuff from now on since even Spain and Portugal play the Latin American style. Even Germany is playing with flair instead of just wearing down the opponents (remember the heavily boring 1990 finals??)

Only sad to see Brazil trying the European methods with heavy defending and then depending on the brilliant Robinho to create some counter attacks, with almost nil midfield play - or is it because Kaka is yet to strike form? Hope it is so, at least for the sake of the beautiful game!!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 14:21   #152
BHPian

Looking forward to Argentina vs Germany now !

England just were not good enough , goodbye to the Gerrad/Lampard generation . Rooney and even Terry were in such bad form .Mexico's defeat was inevitable I guess.
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:03   #153
Senior - BHPian

For the english fans.
Attached Thumbnails
Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010. Edit: Spain it is !-yd4xq.png  

Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:24   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
Looking forward to Argentina vs Germany now !
The whole world is man! What a match thats going to be. Something tells me Maradona is going to cry. The German team is programmed to get the cup.
Quote:
Mexico's defeat was inevitable I guess.
They did get a bad goal (offside) but they never looked at making repairs, did they?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:31   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Excellent games yesterday. But both stand out for some sub-standard refreeing.
I mean even a half blind person can see he was offside
To make it even more interesting, a FIFA top official said, such things make the game more interesting. People talk about it and that beings more passion in the game.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:55   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
For the english fans.
Spitfire, that's a pretty good way you've presented that case. I'm all for your hypothesis.

On a more serious note, these things happen. We, sitting in front of the TV and having n number of camera angles and replays to choose from can blabber all we want, but the actual action is seen by the referee who does not have all these luxuries. Give them a break guys, after all they too are human.

In case you guys are still not satisfied by my explanation, please refer to Spitfire's post (again)

I'm hoping Germany will put in a few against Argentina. The Argentine defenders looked shaky against Mexico.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:35   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I'm hoping Germany will put in a few against Argentina. The Argentine defenders looked shaky against Mexico.
Even I'm fearing the same. Just keeping my fingers crossed. But the wounds inflicted by the Germans four years back are alive. Its definitely the time for revenge. Nothing else.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 20:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

Actually after watching yesterday's match I started liking Germany. They are really awesome and was playing attacking football. It's sad that they'll meet Argentina in the QF itself. It would've been really great if these two had meet in the Finals. Anyway, that QF gonna be a match to watch as both are very very attacking team.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 20:05   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Spitfire, that's a pretty good way you've presented that case. I'm all for your hypothesis.
Hey thats not my work. Its floating around on the net.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 10:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Actually after watching yesterday's match I started liking Germany. They are really awesome and was playing attacking football. It's sad that they'll meet Argentina in the QF itself. It would've been really great if these two had meet in the Finals. Anyway, that QF gonna be a match to watch as both are very very attacking team.
Completely agree - in fact i think German transformation started with the last Euro cup. What a yummy treat in store from now on.

And it is Samba time - Brazil back to its marauding ways even with Dunga at the helm!!

Slurp slurp...now its all the attacking teams taking on each other (except perhaps Ghana, who play typical african physical football). Lets forget England guys and enjoy real football.

Hope Paraguay comes through to complete the attacking line - Portugal or Spain doesnt matter, since both are attacking teams.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:28   #161
BANNED

A lackluster match yesterday b/w Holland and Slovakia. The orange's scored a goal and went about defending it for eternity and slovakia just seemed happy trailing

Argentina is playing well though their defense is not very stable and Germany is going to have a go at them but still overall I feel Argentina have an edge when it comes to moves.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:33   #162
BHPian

After yesterday's match, I feel Brazil can book a place in the finals for sure. Although everyone is criticizing Dunga but what we saw in yesterday's game was discipline. I hardly could spot a glaring mistake by the players. The midfield was strong as ever with close to zero wrong passing. Although the samba style is missing, the Brazilians are getting more and more solid with each passing game.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 16:19   #163
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Zaks on the Dutch-Slovakia match. I think Dutch is playing German style and Germans are emulating Dutch style hehe

@atrisarkar - All are criticising Dunga for precisely the same thing - too much discipline without flair. But yesterday's match was a departure and saw a little bit of the samba magic.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:48   #164
Senior - BHPian

Brazil is looking unbeatable now, they have a solid defense and attacking top gun. Yesterday initial 30 mins they were boring and was not attacking but after that it was the same old Brazil all over again. I hope they'll keep doing it for the rest of the tournament. Only worry is that Kaka again got an Yellow card and hope he won't pick another one at the QF.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 22:57   #165
mkh
Senior - BHPian

uruguay /ghana have a easy road to the SF, so many times we have seen the same happen where an easier draw sees relatively weaker teams come through to final 8/4. Even for the winner of Spain/Portugal, facing Paraguay is easier than Brazil facing Holland or Germany facing Argentina!
Spain Vs Potugal is going to be interesting!
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote