Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010?
Algeria 0 0%
Argentina 73 31.20%
Australia 1 0.43%
Brazil 24 10.26%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chile 0 0%
Côte d'Ivoire 2 0.85%
Denmark 0 0%
England 4 1.71%
France 1 0.43%
Germany 58 24.79%
Ghana 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Honduras 0 0%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Korea North 1 0.43%
Korea South 0 0%
Mexico 1 0.43%
Netherlands 20 8.55%
New Zealand 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Portugal 3 1.28%
Serbia 1 0.43%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 1 0.43%
South Africa 0 0%
Spain 41 17.52%
Switzerland 0 0%
United States 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.28%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th July 2010, 11:50   #256
BHPian

Ha! Viva Deutchland! Adios Amigos!
Where was Messi (Messy) Argentina were not good enough, didn't or couldn't get into the game, we were inspired by our chancellor in the crowd, Deutschland, Deutschland über alles.
Spain struggled with Paraguy, they will find the semi final tough, especially after seeing how we demolished and tore apart the Argies.
Semi final prediction Spain=Pain, let's find out what Paul the Octopuss thinks?

Prost,

Stefan

Last edited by stefanm : 4th July 2010 at 12:04.
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 11:59   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Bye bye World Cup
Hello Argentina, I am Germany and this is football. Bye bye
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 12:10   #258
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
How cruel can sports be at times was well illustrated in Ghana's exit. The ball just did not seem the find the back of the net for the last goal, 3 attempts foiled, the last being a desperate hand ball and then the penalty missed. They were more deserving surely, bad luck.
Without being emotional, lets look clearly at which team has a better balance and record coming into the game (GER VS ARG).
Germans have given 2 very solid performances, blasting away Aus and then against Eng. ARG has played well, but no clear outright champion team performance. They have not had to stretch mentally or physically, like the germans have had to so far.
Overall balanced side- clearly germans with a strong attack, competent midfield and very well equipped defence with Lahm. Youth, experience, energy all together.
ARG is good too, no doubt, but i look at it objectively- germans should go ahead.
BTW for BANGY GUYS: IT was a LOT of fun watching on the big screen at palace grounds- today its at Kanteerva Stadium, its going to be a MOST AMAZING atmosphere for sure.
the germans proved that they are a much superior team. as i said arg did not play any good game when they were tested prior to this game and the first test they failed big time. why ger shld win,yes i am a supporter but to be completely objective this is the ONLY team so far that has proven they r champions, can defend, attack and hit hard. Now they have beaten two good teams and have the best mental toughness. Only the dutch have won a hard fought game and they shld be the team to face in the finals. THE Best team shld win, that way football really wins! All said, this is surely the best cup i have seen, the 86 cup being the closest to it
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 13:48   #259
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to see Brazil and Argentina go away. Illustrates how the game is now. Individual skills do not win games. Its the collective strength and speed that wins.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 17:01   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Individual skills do not win games. Its the collective strength and speed that wins.
Ofcourse they don't. You can get lucky one or twice but there is a reason for a team. Its a collective effort. Individual skills are good for display some or the other time like Ronaldinho does with his feet but that can't stop professionals from kicking butt. Man someones come prepared and with only one goal in mind. Take the cup and scram!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 17:23   #261
BHPian

After watching Germany thrashing Argeis, all my money on GERMANS.
sree70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 17:27   #262
Senior - BHPian

Neither Brazilians nor Argentinians showed the skills they were supposed to show or for which they are praised all across, so its better to show the door to such teams.IMHO its better that these teams crashed out atleast there is a suspense and that excitement that who will pick the cup (gerrrrrrrrrrrrrmannnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy).BTW it seems football is going cricket way players perform for club/leagues a la IPL not for the national team.

Last edited by agspins : 4th July 2010 at 17:30.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 21:02   #263
Senior - BHPian

Am sad that Arg lost, their midfield & strikers lacked ideas how to attack the Germans!
I guess Maradona was overconfident of his star-studded team & didn't have a proper strategy against Germany!

Go Spain go!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 22:39   #264
Senior - BHPian

Default Maradona influenced by Munnabhai

They had a strategy allright, one of offering 'no defence'

Anyways, Uruguay are still in there and keeping my interests alive in this edition of the cup.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 09:27   #265
Senior - BHPian

Exit of Brazil and Argentina with star players against European teams where they spend most of their time playing for clubs, goes only to prove that the individual skilled are honed for Brazil and Argentina, while team practice is not. On the other hand, European players mostly play on their homeland for most of their 3 1/2 years until next cup as 'team', involving some foreign players and hence playing as a team comes to them spontaneously. Though there are local 'copa's in Latin America, the players most of their time play as a team for some 'club' and not for their country.
With this trend, its almost impossible for the Latinos to win the Cup ever I'm afraid.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:42   #266
Senior - BHPian

Well I am a Brazil supporter and it was very difficult to digest their exit but then I have found a new interest in Germany . A sheer class they have shown in the Arg game. What a pity. A 4-0 defeat is something they are not going to forget for lifetime.

What I like about Germans is their team work. Nobody seemed to be selfish. Netherland is also playing good football, I hope we will get to see a nice and tight final between these 2 teams. Spain struggled a lot in their game and were lucky to get away with Villa's goal. Lets see how they perform in the semis.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:46   #267
BHPian

Quote:
the germans proved that they are a much superior team. as i said arg did not play any good game when they were tested prior to this game and the first test they failed big time. why ger shld win,yes i am a supporter but to be completely objective this is the ONLY team so far that has proven they r champions, can defend, attack and hit hard.
Germans are yet to prove that, IMO. England, of all teams, had them on the mat for nearly half of the first half where they scored two goals, one was counted. Agreed it will be a tough game for Spain, and they will be thrashed if they play like they did against Paraguay. Here is hoping that they bring their A game, and may the best team win in this mouth watering clash. The Oranje will never get a better chance to win the WC, their defensive solidity has been a revelation. Their defense only looked shaky in the first half against the mighty Brazilians. Spain Vs the Oranje is my dream WC finals, only the Germans and Diego Forlan stand in the way.

Quote:
A sheer class they have shown in the Arg game. What a pity. A 4-0 defeat is something they are not going to forget for lifetime.
The Argentines were tactically poor all the way through, and Maradona's selections were totally weird. Where was Gutierrez? Big mistake not playing him. No chance for Diego Milito either. Seemed the team was full of Maradona 'Yes Men'. He failed to plug holes, and switch tactics effectively. That guy belongs on a stage and not on a football dugout anymore.

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 5th July 2010 at 10:49.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:41   #268
BANNED

The Germans were really good against a sloppy Argentina and it was a treat to watch them play an open minded game. But the Dutch are a tough nut to crack and I feel it could be 50-50 for both, may be the Dutch have a plan up their sleeve, what with Mueller missing the game.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:52   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
The Germans were really good against a sloppy Argentina and it was a treat to watch them play an open minded game. But the Dutch are a tough nut to crack and I feel it could be 50-50 for both, may be the Dutch have a plan up their sleeve, what with Mueller missing the game.
Actually, germany are playing Spain and the Dutch are playing Uruguay in the Semi-Finals.

I sure hope for the German-Dutch matchup in the final, but I still feel Spain have a part to play here. Let's see how they take things.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:57   #270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Actually, germany are playing Spain and the Dutch are playing Uruguay in the Semi-Finals.
My bad, well in that case let's hope for a Germany-Dutch final. It cannot be asking for too much from these teams now that they have killed off the giants.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote