Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010?
Algeria 0 0%
Argentina 73 31.20%
Australia 1 0.43%
Brazil 24 10.26%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chile 0 0%
Côte d'Ivoire 2 0.85%
Denmark 0 0%
England 4 1.71%
France 1 0.43%
Germany 58 24.79%
Ghana 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Honduras 0 0%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Korea North 1 0.43%
Korea South 0 0%
Mexico 1 0.43%
Netherlands 20 8.55%
New Zealand 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Portugal 3 1.28%
Serbia 1 0.43%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 1 0.43%
South Africa 0 0%
Spain 41 17.52%
Switzerland 0 0%
United States 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.28%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th July 2010, 12:11   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Germans are yet to prove that,
You must me kidding me??

Did you watch the Argentina - Germany Quaterfinal Match?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 12:41   #272
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Germans are yet to prove that, IMO. England, of all teams, had them on the mat for nearly half of the first half where they scored two goals, one was counted. Agreed it will be a tough game for Spain, and they will be thrashed if they play like they did against Paraguay. Here is hoping that they bring their A game, and may the best team win in this mouth watering clash. The Oranje will never get a better chance to win the WC, their defensive solidity has been a revelation. Their defense only looked shaky in the first half against the mighty Brazilians. Spain Vs the Oranje is my dream WC finals, only the Germans and Diego Forlan stand in the way.

The Argentines were tactically poor all the way through, and Maradona's selections were totally weird. Where was Gutierrez? Big mistake not playing him. No chance for Diego Milito either. Seemed the team was full of Maradona 'Yes Men'. He failed to plug holes, and switch tactics effectively. That guy belongs on a stage and not on a football dugout anymore.
Though i am a supporter and german fan too, but would like to be objective. Germany IS THE BIGGEST find of the WC 2010.Experts and the tabloids around the world are praising this young side, which had NO chance of reaching here. They have mesmerized so many with the quality of team work and the young legs they have.
Just read a few articles on the fifa site, the world expects germany to win, and wants too, just because its a dream run and they are giving to the viewers in every game- quality football. They have no individual stars to boast of -except Klose, but as a team, they are shining, which is what the game is all about.
Spain is a good side no doubt- the dutch are not in the same league, for me its germany-spain-dutch just based on the quality they have delivered in this WC
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 12:58   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Spain is a good side no doubt- the dutch are not in the same league, for me its germany-spain-dutch just based on the quality they have delivered in this WC
heh? Dutch - Germans - Spanish is more like it. Spain is struggling, Paraguay deserved to win that game, no denying that fact!
Ho0ligaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:09   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, and my opinion still stands. If Spain play well, the German defense will struggle. The defensive midfielders, Schweinsteiger and Khadeira, have done a stellar job along with Lahm, but the center backs are iffy both Friedrich and Mertesacker. I have doubts about the quality of the goalie as well. Anyway, the Germans have already overachieved this WC, and impressed their class as a team on the tourney. Take a look again at the Germany-England game, the last 20 mins of the first half and how the German defense was all over the place.

Quote:
Spain is struggling, Paraguay deserved to win that game, no denying that fact!
Yes, and no. Spain played a really bad game, but Paraguay did not make many clear cut chances either. The offside goal was controversial, but if you follow the active player rule, Cardozo was offside. Anyway, the teams were evenly matched in the game (and that reflects really poorly for the Spanish). I agree with the ranking of the teams put up by you. Hope they play better against the Germans, specially Torres and Xavi (who I felt was well below par against Paraguay), else they will be thrashed. Hope for an open game and may the better (Spanish) team win
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:21   #275
Senior - BHPian

Unless Spain's all cylinders fire to death, its gonna be another 4-0 on Wednesday.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 14:57   #276
Senior - BHPian

Damn that german octopus!! Awesome midfield tactics by Germany against Argentina. They were so well organized that they seemed to be playing with 12 players and the Argentines seemed to be playing with 10. Just shows that flair without a tactical plan is no match for an average but superbly organized team. Germany look like favorites based on current form, but I will be rooting for Spain from now on.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 15:35   #277
Senior - BHPian

The way Messi was blocked out without fouling him was exemplary by the Germans. I think they are improving with each game and every one is playing for and as a team - that is what's most important. Rest of the teams have a star player on whom they depend but not the Germans.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 15:59   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

I think before the next world cup the Latin Americans will have to learn how to foul without being caught/penalized!!!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 16:05   #279
BHPian

or they could learn to play better football instead of shooting their mouths around in press conferences
Ho0ligaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 21:56   #280
BHPian

After Germany's bulldozing performance, they appear to be the likely contenders.
pradeep-ivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 22:39   #281
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing a Netherland Vs Germany Final.

With Holland winning it. Basically it has been a non flair players who have peaked altogether.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 01:58   #282
Senior - BHPian

Default Magia Hispania, por favor Dios, por favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am seeing a Netherland Vs Germany Final.
My money is on an all Hispanic Final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
With Holland winning it. Basically it has been a non flair players who have peaked altogether.
This would still leave me in a happy mood but Hispania magic, Please God Please!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 13:05   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
4 - 0

Oh you bet!!!

GERMANY!!! GERMANY!!!
Ha ha. That was a good one. But really, what a match. I think Maradona should have kept his mouth shut and concentrated on coming up with better tactics. Look who's "nervouooosh" now Mr. Dona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
Yes, Argentina, Maradona in particular was humiliated, fans feel devastated.

None can deny Maradona's passion for the game & if he is legend, there is a valid reason. Well, no one can have everything in life.

Like to appreciate the precision of 'German Engineering'
It's particularly embarrassing when you go into a match, so over-confident and lose it 0-4. Anyway, they got what they deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You must me kidding me??
For me, I don't care now, if Germany wins the World Cup or not. The thrashing of Argentines was more than a feast
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 15:31   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Me too but my son is rooting for Argentina. Family Feud!
My son changed his mind after it became 2-0. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
My bad, well in that case let's hope for a Germany-Dutch final.
Expect strong fan followig with many from the region tracing their roots to Germany and Holland. Even, Afrikaans, the lanugage they speak is a derivative of Dutch and Nambia (which has strong German connections) is next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I think they are improving with each game and every one is playing for and as a team.
This is what i told my son when he wondered why Messi could not win despite being such a good player. Football is a TEAM game.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 18:25   #285
Senior - BHPian

Default Octopus prediction

Alright, it's official now. The octopus has picked Spain to win. This one isn't a fake news item. It's being reported by AP and there is a video as well.

World Cup 2010: Paul The Octopus Predicts Spain Victory Over Germany - Goal.com
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote