Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010?
Algeria 0 0%
Argentina 73 31.20%
Australia 1 0.43%
Brazil 24 10.26%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chile 0 0%
Côte d'Ivoire 2 0.85%
Denmark 0 0%
England 4 1.71%
France 1 0.43%
Germany 58 24.79%
Ghana 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Honduras 0 0%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Korea North 1 0.43%
Korea South 0 0%
Mexico 1 0.43%
Netherlands 20 8.55%
New Zealand 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Portugal 3 1.28%
Serbia 1 0.43%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 1 0.43%
South Africa 0 0%
Spain 41 17.52%
Switzerland 0 0%
United States 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.28%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th July 2010, 11:19   #361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I want the final to go into panlties
And why would you want that? I still remember the USA 94 finals where Brazil and Italy went to penalties, and poor Roberto Baggio's penalty kick which ended up as a flier was blamed for the loss.

IMO, a good final is one which is decided in normal play. You get your chances, you better take them, rather than go to something so dependent on luck such as penalties. Cetainly not for a WC final!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:21   #362
Senior - BHPian

I want the scorecards in the finals to develop like 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2 and in that fashion. Want to see some action, not like the boring game yesterday!!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:24   #363
BHPian

The Octopus predicted the defeat of Germany correctly. It never failed so far. Let us see what it prefers for the final and whether that too comes true.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:26   #364
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys, you call this boring match? Spain finally in its elements and you call it boring. Oh my goodness!! Granted Germany were a bit on the backfoot. But then Spain midfield was controlling the entire game. Precise passing - one touch football-elegance-beauty - all except the finishing in the first half. Second half saw stunning chances being created by Spain. Pedro was very good in his initial outing - though it was extremely selfish of him not to pass the ball on that one occassion. And it was not mindless passing by Spain. If you had seen the position of the players, they were deep inside the German territory, cutting through the German midfield . I thought it was an extremely high quality game by the Spaniards. But sometimes the team which plays brilliantly in the semis dont fare well in the finals- think of Euro98 Germany, Euro 94 portugal. Hope it is not the case this time. Should not turn out to be a case of peaking too soon
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:30   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
. I thought it was an extremely high quality game by the Spaniards.
Agree, but the game was still boring because Germans didn't play well to counter Spains display of all that football talent.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:31   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
The Octopus predicted the defeat of Germany correctly. It never failed so far. Let us see what it prefers for the final and whether that too comes true.
Octopus's so-called predictions are only for the matches involving Germany, hence not applicable for the final. The creature is out of the picture, finally.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:36   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Agree, but the game was still boring because Germans didn't play well to counter Spains display of all that football talent.
But that doesnt matter for a Spain fan.

Yes it was sad to see a young German side being left clueless
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:37   #368
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

the creature may already be in the cooker for the german team. Special octupus curry
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:41   #369
BHPian

I am very happy that the germans were shown the door. Cheers to Spain.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:16   #370
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
I am very happy that the germans were shown the door. Cheers to Spain.
And I am very happy when this tournament is over that we do not hear such comments anymore. Some of these comments here have been close to racism. I am appalled to have read quite a few comments like this. This is sports and not a nationalistic hatred contest. People claiming to be grown up should act quite a bit more mature.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:18   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
The Germans should beat Argentina, I think.

Either ways, Brazil has a far from easy passage to the final, in fact, I am willing to bet they do not make it to the finals. I predict a European team wins the cup this year
Quote:
I am hoping that we will have a new champion. Spain or the Oranje.
Quote:
Spain Vs the Oranje is my dream WC finals, only the Germans and Diego Forlan stand in the way.
Wouldnt you say this is a fabulous record of predictions?

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 8th July 2010 at 13:19.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:22   #372
Team-BHP Support

I am loving it. This is my post before the cup started:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Ah, my preferences of teams is just based on the way my heart beats for them.

Who would I want to see winning ? In order of priority,

- Spain
- England
- Netherlands

Teams I would not want to win

- Italy
- Brazil
- Germany
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:27   #373
Senior - BHPian

Yup the first half was bit boring and actually Germans were bored to death by the Spanish as they were unable to touch the ball at all. And Spaniards just kept on passing to each other without many real attempts at the goal. But the 2nd half was brilliant and their passing at the D also improved a lot. As someone said it was one of the most tactical game played in this WorldCup. Immaculate passing and ball control by Spain, specially Inniesta and Xabi. Except for Pedro's selfish attempts, Spain played perfectly. Germany did miss Mueller but I doubt even he would've been able to do anything better. Germans were almost clueless for most of the time. Anyway, it might sound sadistic but I feel happy that Germany is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
And I am very happy when this tournament is over that we do not hear such comments anymore. Some of these comments here have been close to racism. I am appalled to have read quite a few comments like this. This is sports and not a nationalistic hatred contest. People claiming to be grown up should act quite a bit more mature.
Dude Chill, it's all about fun and no one is hating another one just because of his allegiance. It's just mere leg-pulling of each other. Have you ever not pulled a friend's leg before? And if everyone keeps on just clapping and say "well played boys" then there where is the fun of Football and then it'll become just cricket. And don't you think that this racism card is played more than what's needed?
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:36   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Thats your opinion and its well accepted. But my opinion is that I do not see anything racist about any comment posted here. Its all about supporting a team hence liking it and not supporting a team hence hating it/ not liking it.

Someone might love a German car but hate the German football team for whatever reasons, nothing wrong. Similarly some one might just hate drinking Spanish Rioja but love the Spanish Football team for the quality of football they dish out.

Dont think its being racists, its all in good faith.

Regards

Now coming back to the topic, Seeing the match yesterday was like watching synchronized swimming happening. Before the match I wanted Germany to win, but the first 30 minutes proved that the Spanish were playing "the beautifull game" and the Germans were just chasing shadows. Spanish deserved to win and I am happy that the better team (that day atleast) won the game.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 14:14   #375
BHPian

@CPH Buddy by which angle did you find my comments as racial???? Take a chill pill or else do not read this thread as every individual has their own choice about who wins or not. I think you want unnecessary attention. Chill mates. Its just a sport and i am supporting Spain. Period.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote