Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win FIFA World Cup 2010?
Algeria 0 0%
Argentina 73 31.20%
Australia 1 0.43%
Brazil 24 10.26%
Cameroon 0 0%
Chile 0 0%
Côte d'Ivoire 2 0.85%
Denmark 0 0%
England 4 1.71%
France 1 0.43%
Germany 58 24.79%
Ghana 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Honduras 0 0%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Korea North 1 0.43%
Korea South 0 0%
Mexico 1 0.43%
Netherlands 20 8.55%
New Zealand 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Paraguay 0 0%
Portugal 3 1.28%
Serbia 1 0.43%
Slovakia 0 0%
Slovenia 1 0.43%
South Africa 0 0%
Spain 41 17.52%
Switzerland 0 0%
United States 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.28%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th July 2010, 10:38   #436
Senior - BHPian

More of a physical game. Both teams lost easy scoring chances. May be this is what we call pressure. In the end the better team won the cup and made a history.

The Octopus must be a new target for mafias now. The owner will now be threatened to give up on the octopus to make it a "jyotish baba" at mafia's place
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 10:54   #437
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Prior to the quarterfinals with Brazil, I was a staunch Dutch supporter and was wishing that they would get third time lucky. But the tactics displayed in that match and the matches there after left a sour taste in the mouth. I felt for them in the final but ulitmately the right team and the deserving team one. Kudos to Spain. The current generation of spanish players deserve nothing less. A Euro cup and now a World cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Casillas redeemed himself finally.
Didn't really get what you meant
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 11:02   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
boring game, both teams didn't play well. The referee had come to the pitch determined to get Spain the cup!
Soar Grapes. Come on. Spain really deserved to win this game. Casillas was outstanding in the game, so as Xavi. The Dutch should really thank the referee. They walked away with just 10 yellows and 1 red.
umvarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 11:19   #439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Paul is the most wanted one in holland now! :-)
Bad luck for holland as it is their 3rd loss in a World cup final
Poor Holland, they must have been desperate, 3 times the bride's maid, never the bride!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 11:49   #440
BHPian

It was a good match, and a wholly satisfying result. Not an outstanding display, but then it's very rare that a final is outstanding. historically the best matches have always been quarters or semi-finals, when the teams are more relaxed.
I read this on the 8th, and it's a beautiful analysis of the game of football, by Brian Phillips in Slate magazine. Read if you have the time. Why all soccer fans should root for Holland to lose to Spain. - By Brian Phillips - Slate Magazine
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 11:51   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
I am supporting Cote d'Ivoire, Netherlands, Spain! In that order
I was never anti-Spain! But yesterday's Spain certainly did not deserve the cup. They should have played better. It was a very very hollow victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Soar Grapes. Come on. Spain really deserved to win this game. Casillas was outstanding in the game, so as Xavi. The Dutch should really thank the referee. They walked away with just 10 yellows and 1 red.
Nobody deserved to win yesterday's game. Both teams played equally bad, the referee's bias helped the Spaniards that's all. We could easily see the Dutchmen frustrated with the referee! They just wanted to go home instead of receiving cruel decisions by the referee! :P

The game should have gone to the penalties, and the team with better luck should have won. Nothing more to that. No one deserved to win yesterday's game the normal way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I'm surprised you say that, because it was quite evident regarding the rough tactics which were being used by the Dutch to bring down the Spaniards. Some of those lunges were outright dangerous.
I agree that some of the fouls were dangerous. But some of Spain's equally horrible tackles were ignored by the referee. Puyol should have got a red!

And Van Bommel got a yellow for his kick in the chest of Alonso. I think that was fair. He intended to get to the ball. If you remember the semis, caceras' bicycle kick landed right in the face of De Zeuw's face. But as long as the intention was to play the ball, it doesn't merit a red if you ask me. Their sight was locked on the ball high above their head, so they didn't see who else was going for the same ball!
Ho0ligaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 12:26   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I certainly found Dutch side disgusting against Brazil. Lots of play-acting and roughness in their play. They bordered on being cheats.
My worst fears were confirmed in the finals. Dutch have forgotten the 'clean football' concept introduced by Cryuff. The current holland team is a disgrace to their glorious predecessors. What a bunch of losers!!

Spain deserved to win 4-0. Sad they were drawn into a steer-fight by the unruly dutchmen and could only show 1-0 for their talent.

Robben, Snyder and Van Percie should first learn how to play gentlemanly football and THEN win a world cup.

The dutch team today is a MONSTROUS DISGRACE.

I smiled seeing Snyder cry at the end. There is justice after all!!

SPAIN - Enjoy the richly deserved VICTORY!!!!!

Last edited by WindRide : 12th July 2010 at 12:28.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 14:32   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My worst fears were confirmed in the finals. Dutch have forgotten the 'clean football' concept introduced by Cryuff. The current holland team is a disgrace to their glorious predecessors. What a bunch of losers!!

Spain deserved to win 4-0. Sad they were drawn into a steer-fight by the unruly dutchmen and could only show 1-0 for their talent.

Robben, Snyder and Van Percie should first learn how to play gentlemanly football and THEN win a world cup.

The dutch team today is a MONSTROUS DISGRACE.

Very much agree with you. It was a street fight out there by the Dutch disgrace to Footballs. Yesterday one team was playing with the Football and other team was playing with the man with the football. De-Jong's(not van bommel) karate kick was very much intentional as he was clearly no where near the ball and that blind referee didn't show him a red. Had this Dutch team won then it would have been a disaster to football. Robben tried his best to cheat the referee but was unsuccessful as by this time probably everyone knew about their newly learned tricks. He is a good player but his acting tactics are overshadowing his footballing skills. Referee was bit too lenient as it was a final, otherwise half of the Dutch team would've been in sitting out the in the cold in the first half itself.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 14:48   #444
Senior - BHPian

On the sidelines guys, what do you think of Paul the Octopus? 8 out of 8 and the science and the mathematical probability fails miserably. The only thing that can be considered is the psychological effect on the teams after the prediction but then if you are so weak mentally, you dont deserve to play international football.

What possibly can explain this?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 14:57   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
On the sidelines guys, what do you think of Paul the Octopus? 8 out of 8 and the science and the mathematical probability fails miserably. The only thing that can be considered is the psychological effect on the teams after the prediction but then if you are so weak mentally, you dont deserve to play international football.

That Octopus definitely have some really good connection with the match fixers of the WorldCup
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 15:01   #446
Senior - BHPian

What should have been a great game of football was spoilt by the Dutch team's foul tactics. They were more intent on stopping Spain from winning at any cost rather than going for the win themselves.

Here is an article with some good stats.

Spain*was worthy winner, best team at World Cup - Sid Lowe - SI.com
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 15:04   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did Spain even have 4 shots at the goal to deserve a 4-0 win??

Quote:
Cricket is a gentlemen's game not football!!!

Quote:

Justice? What justice? A team that scored only 7 goals in 6 games won the tournament! Thats justice??

Spain deserved European cup but not the world cup. This is the worst team to have won the world cup. Spain neither play themselves, nor allow others to play. They just keep the ball. thats it!!! Its plain boring.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 15:04   #448
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
Wahoo. A team I picked before the world cup finally wins!

They deserved with their quality of play.
The dutch were only trying to cut down spanish legs.

Both had some clear chances wasted by hesitating too much - Robben, Villa, Iniesta earlier, Fabregas.

If Robben had fallen like Iniesta (Heitinga red card), then Puyol may have got one as well.
What quality was that? Made in China around 1960 was better quality.

Quality used to be when the likes of Pele, Zidane, Seeler, Platini and all other of their class used to play real football.

Football used to be about class not fouls and cheating.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 15:05   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Justice? What justice? A team that scored only 7 goals in 6 games won the tournament! Thats justice??

Spain deserved European cup but not the world cup. This is the worst team to have won the world cup. Spain neither play themselves, nor allow others to play. They just keep the ball. thats it!!! Its plain boring.
Read the article I linked to in the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
What quality was that? Made in China around 1960 was better quality.

Quality used to be when the likes of Pele, Zidane, Seeler, Platini and all other of their class used to play real football.

Football used to be about class not fouls and cheating.
Yeah yeah, this is what every generation says. That their generation played the best. My father claims Stefan Edberg was a MUCH better player than Nadal. There were enough fouls and cheating happening in those days as well. I am sure you watched the 1990 finals to know what I mean.

Last edited by Gilead : 12th July 2010 at 15:11.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 15:06   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

8/8 probability is easier to attain than winning a lottery. Now people win a lottery too, don't day.
To really prove the octopus is on to something, a random analysis is needed, with a greater sample size.
for example, randomly chose two teams, and then ask it to predict.
Simple
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote