Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th June 2010, 12:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

I want to get photographed
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the way they have done the inter-connectivity to a central location. And the best part it will be out sourced to some firm who are experts in this field with clients around the world.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Seat belts are compulsory in Trivandrum? You must be kidding. Weren't there any protest similar to the ones for making helmets compulsory?
Forget the cities, seat belt checking is happening even in rural areas like where my parents live. (Sooranad in Kollam dt). I was stopped on the way by cops. but no cop is gonna give me a ticket for not wearing seat belts because I always do.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th June 2010 at 12:12.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

100+ cams are coming to TVM. 150+ in Cochin. There are speed cameras with 360 degree vision (around 10 in TVM city with several on the highways to monitor accident prone areas and yes, these things have night vision and backup LIDAR systems that function in bad weather) as well as cameras that monitor junctions. All these devices are controlled from a remote location. Software which does OCR on plates and complete end to end challan system (with history tracking) is also operational.

If you are the average motorist who stops on zebra lines to be at the front of the queue, be prepared to get challans galore.

The same system is coming to Calcutta (where deployment is almost complete) and Pune (where it is in planning stages).

@jk : The speed cameras and software have all been designed indigenously. The junction monitoring systems are all Motorola.

Also currently in trials in Calcutta is a traffic management system like in western countries with sensors under the roads, intelligent traffic routing using the junction monitoring cameras and more.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 16th June 2010 at 12:38.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The cop said seatbelts stop the car when i lowered the window, the senior cop said 100 bucks i didnt argue, though i stood there for 5 minutes to check if they are stopping every one, but guess everyone was being stopped.
Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Forget the cities, seat belt checking is happening even in rural areas like where my parents live. (Sooranad in Kollam dt). I was stopped on the way by cops. but no cop is gonna give me a ticket for not wearing seat belts because I always do.
Good to know that they are strictly implementing this
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys, trust me, the cams will be monitored vigourosly for only certain days/weeks in a month & it will not be 24 X 7 even for a simply stop line violation. We're already experiencing this in Chennai.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:14   #22
BHPian

Thumbs up

This is a welcome change! The use of technology to monitor and book traffic rule breakers.
Wearing seatbelts come automatically to me, so much so that I feel uncomfortable driving without wearing them!
vjabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 21:03   #23
cLJ
BHPian

Now a days the cops does check for seat belt and helmets only and they are not bothered about the documents or licence.

CLJ
cLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 21:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

They are putting fines for not wearing setbelts? Awesom, awesome. And I hope they'll make this a rule everywhere and for everyone in a car, not just for the driver. Any passanger should be forced to wear a seat belt. Great initiative.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
They are putting fines for not wearing setbelts? Awesom, awesome. And I hope they'll make this a rule everywhere and for everyone in a car, not just for the driver. Any passanger should be forced to wear a seat belt. Great initiative.
passengers are also fined for not wearing seat belts(front) in kerala.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The same system is coming to Calcutta (where deployment is almost complete) and Pune (where it is in planning stages).

@jk : The speed cameras and software have all been designed indigenously. The junction monitoring systems are all Motorola.

Also currently in trials in Calcutta is a traffic management system like in western countries with sensors under the roads, intelligent traffic routing using the junction monitoring cameras and more.
Traffic management in Calcutta?????? Now you are seriously kidding. Let the traffic cops put at least traffic signals at proper places.

I feel traffic management is the worst here in Calcutta. The cops are of no good here.
mayukh is offline   Reply With Quote