Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2010, 12:26   #1
BANNED

Default Ban homeopathy, say British docs

Ban homeopathy from NHS, say doctors | Society | guardian.co.uk

Even I have had doubts about this since they don't have any experimental evidence. Is it all placebo effect?
Old 1st July 2010, 12:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have my doubts on Homeopathy too, but, the docs in Britain are not giving any good reasons why they think that Homeopathy should be banned from NHS. Did they actually take drug sample and analyze "scientifically" as they call it, and then come to a conclusion? I do not think so. One of the docs likens Homeopathy to witchcraft, just because he has not understood how the medicine works. To me, it just looks like one lobby is bigger than other, and is bullying the other one.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I have my doubts on Homeopathy too, but, the docs in Britain are not giving any good reasons why they think that Homeopathy should be banned from NHS.
Medicine in the UK is socialized - i.e. it's provided free by the NHS from tax money.

In 2005, Lancet published a meta-analysis of placebo controlled homeopathy trials which showed that Homeopathy isn't more effective than a sugar pill/placebo. There were a couple of more trials which also showed similiar findings.

Public money is being used up in something which isn't clinically proven. That's why they probably want to ban it from NHS.

Even if NHS bans homeopathy, people can still go to homeopathic doctors - just that they will have pay out of their pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Did they actually take drug sample and analyze "scientifically" as they call it, and then come to a conclusion? I do not think so.
Medicines aren't analyzed scientifically. Rather, they are tested for their efficacy by doing double blind placebo controlled trials.
Homeopathy has failed these trials.

Analyzing a medicine will just tell you what the contents are. It won't tell you whether it will cure a disease or not. Even otherwise, homeopathic medicines are so diluted that analysis will give you just water - i.e. there is nothing to analyze.

Last edited by carboy : 1st July 2010 at 13:24.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:07   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Analyzing a medicine will just tell you what the contents are. It won't tell you whether it will cure a disease or not. Even otherwise, homeopathic medicines are so diluted that analysis will give you just water - i.e. there is nothing to analyze.
That's because the premises of homeopathy is that a component which produces a symptom in a healthy person when administered very dilute will cure a sick person of the same symptoms.

But yes, if there hasn't been any proof of the medicine actually affecting the sickness by its chemical constituents then it's kind of fooling only, leaving apart the psychological effect on the person, which is again nothing but placebo effect.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:17   #5
BHPian

You can find the latest position here.

H:MC21

Murthy
Old 1st July 2010, 14:25   #6
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Homomeopathy works

Homoeopathy did indeed works. only that modern scientific methods can not validate it. new method has to be devised. one can not use the same method which is used for allopathy. all those who say it does not work should take one/two doses of Cantharis 30 and say the same afterwards
Old 1st July 2010, 14:39   #7
BHPian

What does Cantharis 30 do? Just curious.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:00   #8
BHPian

Key uses
Cantharis is widely used in Urinary tract infections with burning, cutting pains and passes in drops. This remedy also useful for high libido and burns and scalds.
  • UTI Complaints
    Burning Cystitis and Urinary Tract Inflammation are the main disorders for which Cantharis is used. Tenderness in the area of kidneys, renal colic, kidney inflammation such as nephritis and pyelonephritis are eased by this remedy. The symptoms calling for this remedy are constant urgent desire to urinate, with violent spasmodic pains in the lower abdomen. Urine is scanty, hot and bloody and is passed in, drop by drop, with violent cutting pains in bladder and urethra. There may be urine retention.
  • Excessive libido
    Uncontrollable inappropriate sexual arousal due to inflamed genital area following urinary tract infection. Sexual fantasies may be strong enough to disturb sleep.
  • Burns and scalds
    Cantharis is prescribed for sun burns and for blisters and for skin blisters that resemble burns. symptoms better from cold application on the affected area and worse by warmth and touch.
Cantharis... an Aphrodisiac

Murthy

P.S: One can try Cantharis to relieve the pain of third degree burns almost instanteously by appliing externally . Simulataneous internal use will help even in second degree burns as a first aid. Try it out next time.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:29   #9
BHPian

Reduces your libido and treats UTI! I thought it would be a general tonic or something!

@RKG Why are you recommending this to people mate? Thanks very much but I would like my libido to remain unaffected!

@gavinimurthy: Your post indicates that it controls excessive libido. It also states that Cantharis 30 is an aprodisiac. Which one is true? I'm confused!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 1st July 2010 at 15:33.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:31   #10
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
What does Cantharis 30 do? Just curious.
In normal individuals it produces Haematuria, which disappears with same medicine
Old 1st July 2010, 15:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

We've had an extensive discussion on the topic in the forums. Please continue in existing threads.
Closed Thread