Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th August 2010, 10:59   #31
BHPian

I still buy ARCO gas (a BP product) because, well..they are the cheapest...
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 11:15   #32
Team-BHP Support

Almost all big oil and chemical corporations have screwed up big time at one point or the other. So the boycotters are just pretending to be fashionable unless they buycott all the big oil and chemical corporations.
The correct approach would be to pressurize the govt to lay heavy fines, so its a deterrent.
Wait? Govt does not listen to the people? Too bad, I was told this is what independence and democracy and blah blah were about.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th August 2010 at 11:17.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 22:30   #33
BHPian

Its the bycotters democratic action that further leads the govt to take deterrent steps. If anyone knew what 'democracy' means he/she would understand how punishing/boycotting by the public can lead to good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
trust me, for every drop of oil produced today, there is a story. the easy oil has been extracted and all companies have to go after the tough oil, beating weather, politics, humanity and what not. exxon mobil, BP, shell doesn't make any difference.

I am not promoting any of them, but just telling you that singling out a company doesn't help any cause. If you want to go clean, bycottt oil, not shell or BP.
I understand what you are saying, but saying boycotting a company is no good does no good. People on this forum are always crying how they get inferior product or how they are mistreated as compared to a caucasian.

If, as a consumer you dont feel good about it, dont buy it. Its that simple. It will pinch them. I dont understand how someone else will have issue if a person is concerned about damages done in africa and is trying to make small personal effort against it. This is beyond me!

It is easy for irresponsible people to be fashionable hiding behind the PC and blame the govt.

Companies have in the past gone bankrupt when civilized consumers have taken collective action. But unfortunately, my country is so divided (as seen on many threads) any democratic action is impossible. In the end, the 3rd party wins (the company).

I grew up there when i was a kid and they have ruined my beaches. And I dont go to Shell. Its that simple. Can we get over it now.
Let me go back swimming in blue Shell-free african water now.....

Last edited by aerohit : 19th August 2010 at 22:36.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 22:43   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post

The anount of cash needed to clean up what they have done does not exist.
According to the FT, BP have access to $79 Billion. Approx $35 billion from untapped credit lines, $20 billion from accumulated cash, remaining for assets that they could sell. The debt could be repaid within two years, oh and since Obama has been swimming in the gulf, the clean up may not be as bad
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 23:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Its the bycotters democratic action that further leads the govt to take deterrent steps. If anyone knew what 'democracy' means he/she would understand how punishing/boycotting by the public can lead to good results.
as long as the action is sensible.

Quote:
If, as a consumer you dont feel good about it, dont buy it. Its that simple. It will pinch them. I dont understand how someone else will have issue if a person is concerned about damages done in africa and is trying to make small personal effort against it. This is beyond me!
let me explain that to you in simplest terms. If you bycott shell and support Exxon mobil and may be convince a large population to do so, shell will go bankrupt. unfortunately the evil is still there. Now Exxon mobil will start hunting for new oil. your actions are going to make no difference until you ensure that the quest of oil does not hit africa (or whatever) at all.

you can do two things:
1. stop using oil altogether. that will stop all these companies from hunting for oil aggressively.

2. start using "organic" oil. meaning oil that's available easily and prepared with keeping all the humanitarian angles in mind. understandably it will cost more. A company doing that will go bankrupt first because the market favors low price commodities. unless you can convince everybody else to use organic "energy". which means pay more for every little thing in your life. Things that get transported on oil to your house/neighborhood store, things that get prepared from plastics, things that use energy in production phase, things that are prepared from metals/minerals extracted using trucks and machinery that burn oil.

and soon that clean oil will be over too.

until then, boycotting a particular company and still going on to use oil is nothing but a "feel good" exercise.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 23:29   #36
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

I understand what you are saying, but saying boycotting a company is no good does no good. People on this forum are always crying how they get inferior product or how they are mistreated as compared to a caucasian.

It is easy for irresponsible people to be fashionable hiding behind the PC and blame the govt.

Companies have in the past gone bankrupt when civilized consumers have taken collective action. But unfortunately, my country is so divided (as seen on many threads) any democratic action is impossible. In the end, the 3rd party wins (the company).

I grew up there when i was a kid and they have ruined my beaches. And I dont go to Shell. Its that simple. Can we get over it now.
Let me go back swimming in blue Shell-free african water now.....
It would be quite easy to hit all of them:

When we teach them that we are not complacent.

To hit all of them is easily done by singling one out and get them on their knees. When they start to get the message, the next one is targeted. The action is easily organised. The people do not need to do a lot.

But maybe I am asking for too much. Complaining seems to be easier than giving it little effort.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote