Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 18:54   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
According to Assocham, the strike eroded the national GDP "by a production loss of nearly a full day which in monetary terms can be roughly estimated at Rs 10,000 crore."
The calculation is based on assumption that the GDP would stay around Rs 50 lakh crore with a growth rate of over 8 per cent in current fiscal, Assocham added.
The CII on the other hand estimated the total loss to the economy on account of the national strike "would be greater than Rs 3,000 crore (Rs 30 billion)."
Source: Rediff : Rs 100,000,000,000! That's the cost of Bharat bandh : Rediff.com Business

Even if the numbers are half correct, the amount is still huge. Well done!
prince_pervez is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 21:54   #32
BHPian
 
pradeep-ivon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

no complaints, though one does get inconvenienced in such bandhs, but then even in perfectly normal day, in big cities it is easy to get into hour long jams for no reason. Plus is there a peaceful way to put across your point? lets be realistic! it is only the loud and demanding child who gets his/her due and this plain truth applies even to organizations. pardon but this is just my personal view.
pradeep-ivon is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 22:10   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,956 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Even if the numbers are half correct, the amount is still huge. Well done!
Somehow, I'm not happy reading this; this is like think globally & act locally. The protest on fuel hike should be done in a different way & not like to an extend of harming the GDP.
aargee is offline  
Old 5th July 2010, 22:37   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 520 Times
Default

We have to put people welfare above everything. Millions are suffering due to price rise.Bandh for such reasons is absolutely justified. This is the only means to put across point to a deaf government. Opposition unity will dare the govt think twice to make such moves in the future.People who cry so much for the losses to the economy, Please work on a Sunday and compensate for the losses.
poloman is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 01:24   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
We have to put people welfare above everything. Millions are suffering due to price rise.Bandh for such reasons is absolutely justified. This is the only means to put across point to a deaf government. Opposition unity will dare the govt think twice to make such moves in the future.People who cry so much for the losses to the economy, Please work on a Sunday and compensate for the losses.
i know we have to put the people's welfare above everything, but where is the government going to keep getting the money to sustain the artificially low prices of fuel? This is what people dont understand. Its unsustainable in the long run.
CaliAtenza is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 02:28   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
People who cry so much for the losses to the economy, Please work on a Sunday and compensate for the losses.
What is the use of the Bandh then, if everyone is going to work on a Sunday to compensate some Bandh ?
prince_pervez is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 03:57   #37
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

IMO, deregulation was the need of the hour. People forget that it's just like loans we're taking, we have to pay them in the future.

If they have to protest, why don't do it against the exorbitant taxes ?

And how come they are being allowed to get away with it ? Sure, they can protest, but how can they force someone else to join them ?

PS : My institute was off today, thanks to them, so I'd say I'm not complaining, but since I've already done that....
anku94 is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 05:05   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 927
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I find the state government here in Karnataka to be the most hypocritical of the lot. On one hand they are protesting against central government's fuel price hike, so the strike has got some official flavor to it, at the same time impose the highest taxes on fuel.

If they are so concerned about the common people as they claim, why not reduce the taxes and bring the prices down?

Some facts:
Base price for petrol in Karnataka: Rs 43.56
Entry tax: 5%
Sales tax: 25%

Base price for diesel: Rs 33.41
Entry tax: 5%
Sales tax: 18%

Compare this to neighboring AP and TN. Service tax on diesel is 8% in AP and 12% in TN.

So we the people of Karnataka, if we need to protest, it should be against the hypocritical state government.
Very true the Karnataka sate government is to blame for the exorbitant cost of fuel as it has the highest taxes in the country.This is nothing but Hypocrisy, shutting down a nation is no answer.
High taxes are not good for the economy in the long run , it will hurt overall growth and spending power of citizens. Reducing taxes and improving public transportation system are few answer to this sort of problem.

Last edited by tj123 : 6th July 2010 at 05:18.
tj123 is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 07:01   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
What is the use of the Bandh then, if everyone is going to work on a Sunday to compensate some Bandh ?
I feel, bandh is to SHOW govt that we are against some of their decision. And a successful bandh shows that govt failed to fulfill the citizens need.

So, I don't see anything wrong in a compensating the work on a different day.

The reason for the bandh was price rise in common i guess. Not just the fuel price. A good govt, is suppose to handle all these situation.

And look at this.

If lorry drivers need to protest something, they can strike.
If auto drivers need to protest something, they can strike.
same applies to Airport, industry, transport and so on.
But the public who want to protest, can never do it at mass, except for these type of bandh.
mjothi is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 07:33   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

I hope Aggoswami and other supporters are happy now. Huge amount of money wasted, people acted like uncultured hooligans... guess the way forward for our nation has been clearly defined.

Bloody people, cost my one of my casual leaves thanks to the office cab not plying!
EssYouWe is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 07:50   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I feel, bandh is to SHOW govt that we are against some of their decision.
Good clean debate.
I feel, parliament is the place where opposition can contest propositions by the current governement.
Bandhs are constitutional, but, cost to country must also be considered.
Quote:
And a successful bandh shows that govt failed to fulfill the citizens need.
I feel, a change of decision for which the bandh was held for, decides the success.
If there is a bandh + considerable economic damage and no results then it is an overall loss.
I hope they drop the prices of some essential commodities to say the least.
Quote:
So, I don't see anything wrong in a compensating the work on a different day.
Neither do I. Why can't we have a bandh on a Sunday? Where there is minimal damage and people can take to the streets peacefuly. That is a real protest.
Quote:
The reason for the bandh was price rise in common i guess. Not just the fuel price. A good govt, is suppose to handle all these situation.
I agree.
Quote:
And look at this.
If lorry drivers need to protest something, they can strike.
If auto drivers need to protest something, they can strike.
same applies to Airport, industry, transport and so on.
But the public who want to protest, can never do it at mass, except for these type of bandh.
Price rise has a chain behind it. If some link goes bad somewhere there is fluctuation in price of comodities. It is not like someone is getting bored and doing something for the heck of it.
Prices should and will come down. Its a matter of when.
Man I am so missing the battle between Manish Tiwari and Shiv Shankar Prasad, Abhijeet Manu Sanghvi, Vir Sanghvi.
Kindly send me a You Tube link of any masala if someone can. I can leave everything to listen to the sweet tunes of Manish Tiwari.

All in all I would have been in complete support of any bandh to get people their rights and mine too but I feel this is just to gain public favour and show that they are still strong. Since the intent is missing I can safely say, all this is humbug and an election gimmick.

If the situation was exactly the opposite and the oppostion were in power and some other party had declared a bandh then also I would say the same thing.
prince_pervez is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 08:05   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 520 Times
Default

Right now you are in USA, Kindly note down the prices of some every day items there. When you come back compare with Indian Prices. you won't see much difference now. But India is home to a poor population which will be double the size of entire US population. Now compare the percapita of the two countries. You will realize the plight of the people here. Everything cannot be resolved in parliament where the govt with majority is not obliged to listen to opposition. If they create ruckus there again we will get economic figures of loss due to hours wasted there. Everything should not viewed through an economical angle.Coming on streets for strong issues is not wrong and is a norm in any country.
poloman is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 08:07   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Good clean debate.
I feel, parliament is the place where opposition can contest propositions by the current governement.
Bandhs are constitutional, but, cost to country must also be considered.
That's why we are talking about compensating by working on an alternate day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Neither do I. Why can't we have a bandh on a Sunday? Where there is minimal damage and people can take to the streets peacefuly. That is a real protest.
I disagree here. If you are going to be protesting something that is hardly noticeable, then its of no use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
If the situation was exactly the opposite and the oppostion were in power and some other party had declared a bandh then also I would say the same thing.
This is independent of whose in power & whose opp. I mean, its against the govt in power with rest. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Price rise has a chain behind it. If some link goes bad somewhere there is fluctuation in price of comodities. It is not like someone is getting bored and doing something for the heck of it.
I agree. But thats why the govt is sitting there and framing policies. If they dont plan the policy well it will certainly affect the rise.

I am sure you remember the importance given for IT in the past 6-8 years by both BJP & Current govt. And thereby almost neglecting the agriculture. What happened? The whole world know.

Just one point.
When the whole world went to buy lehman when it tumbled, Only India did not buy a single share. Even after then FM PC giving instruction / suggestions to RBI to buy. But the then RBI govenor (forgot his name, some singh ) never did. And what followed everyone knows. Now, thats how the policy/decision should be. With a clear long term view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
All in all I would have been in complete support of any bandh to get people their rights and mine too but I feel this is just to gain public favour and show that they are still strong. Since the intent is missing I can safely say, all this is humbug and an election gimmick.
Yes it is election stunt. And it applies to both party in power + people doing it. If the govt seems much power on the opp doing the bandh and is supported by common people, then it will atleast re-think if there is an alternative to save its seat. Right?

Hmm, is this off-topic to this thread? Not sure.
mjothi is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 08:36   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

saw the footage from band all over India (Bandh in south )on Zee usa and had to come here to vent out my frustration.

Band against price rise? What is Govt going to do? Inflation is a part of life and this is what keeps the economy going. rising prices are just what merchants need to stock up and increase their market reach.

Taxes? first we steal taxes, then govt has to put higher taxes where we can not steal them. Once it's collected, politicians, officials and contractors steal their own pie out of it. The result is no development compared to what we pay in taxes. We have created our own parasites at every single transaction. Band is a solution?

govt vs opposition. This is the saddest part. I am saddened to see that India doesn't seem to be changing. People still go out on the road not knowing what they are doing, as long as they get one time meal and a free holiday. those who do not have work just like the thrill of being out pelting stones I guess. I saw a zombie like video of a village women cutting the pipes of a locomotive to stop it. It was quite obvious she had no idea what the bandh was for, who had organized it, what effect her being there will do, and what she was actually doing (destroying public property), guess where it comes from. taxes (or rail fares in this case). Saw some more women from bihar wielding swords, not sure what they were told before standing there.

I have no idea where or how to start fixing this stupidity and where it will end.
vivekiny2k is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 09:12   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I hope Aggoswami and other supporters are happy now.
Huge amount of money wasted, people acted like uncultured hooligans... guess the
way forward for our nation has been clearly defined.


Bloody people, cost my one of my casual leaves thanks to the office cab not
plying!


Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Right now you are in USA, Kindly note down the prices of some every day items there. When you come back compare with Indian Prices. you won't see much difference now.
A lateral comparision cannot be made for another 30 years or so.
Lets pick up a few items:
Petrol: 2.39 (minimum from BP) = about 105 INR/ Gallon that is around 26 INR per litre. Thats cheap and you know why! They have procured plenty of it!
Subway Sandwitch (Italian bread, American pepper jack cheese, toasted, Chicken Teriyaki, Jalepenos, Cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, pickle, lettuce and chipotle southwest sauce) 4.99 $ about 250 bucks. Vivek what topping do you prefer ?
Wrigleys bar chewing gum 16 bars = 1.39 $ = 63 INR.
Quote:
But India is home to a poor population which will
be double the size of entire US population.
I should not be bragging about this but, I paid 21$ for 20 pounds of rice (9 kgs for 945 INR means 105 per KG) to donate to the poor just today. There are many jobless and poor people in the USA. Later on my colleagues told me I paid 5$ more.
Quote:
Now compare the percapita of the two
countries.
That is why there cannot be a direct comparision.
Quote:
You will realize the plight of the people here.
I know the plight of my people buddy. Hope things get resolved fast.
Quote:
Everything cannot be resolved in parliament where the govt with majority is not obliged to listen to opposition. If they create ruckus there again we will get economic figures of loss due to hours wasted there. Everything should not viewed through an economical angle.Coming on streets for strong issues is not wrong and is a norm in any country.
Coming to the streets in a peaceful way or something like in Japan where people work harder to make a point wearing a black band is what I can support and will do too. But the ruckus people create, burn shops, harras traders is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Hmm, is this off-topic to this thread? Not sure.
Hey is your signature inspired by the TV serial Geaorge Lopez's opening score ?
"All my friends know the low rider / The low rider is a little higher ..."


Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Band against price rise? What is Govt going to do? Inflation is a part of life
and this is what keeps the economy going. rising prices are just what merchants
need to stock up and increase their market reach.
Taxes? first we steal taxes, then govt has to put higher taxes where we can not
steal them. Once it's collected, politicians, officials and contractors steal
their own pie out of it. The result is no development compared to what we pay in
taxes. We have created our own parasites at every single transaction. Band is a
solution?
govt vs opposition. This is the saddest part. I am saddened to see that India
doesn't seem to be changing. People still go out on the road not knowing what
they are doing, as long as they get one time meal and a free holiday. those who
do not have work just like the thrill of being out pelting stones I guess. I saw
a zombie like video of a village women cutting the pipes of a locomotive to stop
it. It was quite obvious she had no idea what the bandh was for, who had
organized it, what effect her being there will do, and what she was actually
doing (destroying public property), guess where it comes from. taxes (or rail
fares in this case). Saw some more women from bihar wielding swords, not sure
what they were told before standing there.
Good points. Things are changing very slowly. Hope the young leaders can
save our country.

All calculations are made using a conversion rate of 45 INR for a Dollar.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 6th July 2010 at 09:19.
prince_pervez is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nationwide UID - will it work? ravib Shifting gears 536 3rd June 2017 13:17
All-India bandh on April 30, 2015? sanjaykk Shifting gears 29 30th April 2015 12:32
NHAI: Nationwide Toll Plaza Data now online! moralfibre Street Experiences 39 24th November 2014 21:39
Pune Bandh on 28th December,2010? sajo Shifting gears 30 31st December 2010 17:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks