Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th July 2010, 15:32   #1

Default Inputs needed -> Prevent Construction Noise

Hei folks,

It's been quite some time that I had been bearing patience on this issue and now it is getting unbearable. Hence, sharing it with you for opinions.

My concern is of regular construction activities taking place in the city. Being specific to the issue at hand, there are few free plots near my house's vicinity. So not surprisingly, construction has been going on on them 1 by one.

There's no problem as long as the house is being laid, and other activities. It starts to get rough when big marble tiles are brought and are cut by the machine. The plot right next to my house is vacant and it is here the contractor get this cutting done. It is hell of a noise. One can't attend calls, meetings or even sleep. This goes on from 10-6 or unless there is a power cut or heavy rain.

The last time this happened, I objected to the people but they continued doing it saying contractor will come tomorrow and then I could speak to them. For good, it so happened that I had to travel on a project and by the time I returned their activity was complete.

Now again a new house is being built on an opposite plot and cutting tiles has started next to my house. The sad thing is noone else living on the adjacent house where the cutting is happening or other people in my building seem to be bothered about this. They behave as if nothing is happening and there is no noise.

In your opinion, what steps can be taken to tackle this issue?

/Peace
iVictor
iVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 02:30   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
In your opinion, what steps can be taken to tackle this issue?
Once you start staying in a community you got to compromise with issues like these. Everyone's wants can not be fulfilled at the same time and all are right at their place. Just console yourself by thinking "everyone else is able to bear it, so why can't I"?

If you still want them to do it your way you should talk to others and form a group and talk to the builders. I suppose it still won't help as you don't get tiles/marbles pre-cut like 'Real good chicken'.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 02:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes the cutting machine's noise is very annoying. I have gone through similar experience and the only way to resolve this is to involve the community around you and get this sorted out. Trust me others are as annoyed as you are but no one wants to complain. This is a deep rooted genetic fault in our people. However if you can gather them they will follow your lead. In our area we were able to enforce certain ground rules
1. No cutting outside the premises.
2. Cutters to operate only between 8am to 6pm and
3. Absolutely no cutting activity to take place on Sundays, other public holidays etc.
The contractor will make a noise but threaten him with mysteriously snapped electric connections, awkwardly parked vehicles to hinder the movement of men and material, a word from the local politician/council man, in short whatever it takes. Just do not get physical, apart from that everything goes. These guys come across as rough/tough characters but speak to them in their language and you will be surprised how fast they tuck their tails in.

Last edited by khoj : 8th July 2010 at 02:45.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 03:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

There's nothing you can do about it; these things are common be it India or US. If you fight, your future neighbours will know what kind of person you are & may be they'll choose to stay off from you.

PS - As I type, my brain & ears are fried with the sound of drilling machine due to an ongoing interior decoration/construction in the above floor of my office since 8 PM.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 03:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Live with it. After a while when the noise vanishes one day you won't be able to sleep. There is nothing much we can do about it except for ear plugs or better: Welcome to Bose Audio systems. Give it to them hard.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 09:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Smile

The other way around would be to have sound proof glass which minimizes the noise atelast by 70% and within bearable limits.
Even in my society complex this headache exists all round the year, when one flat finishes the other starts. Atleast the noise is between 10 and 6 with a 2 hrs break in between. This is made compuslory by the society for all flat members.
One way is record the noise and make them listen on full volume.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:47   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your area is sparsely populated. With marble being cut, looks like the new neighbours you'd get will be affluential as well. So this kind of noise would keep away potential theives!

To save yourself from the noise, sound proof one of your rooms. Think it as a project you are doing for your home theater or something like that. Anyway, you have the right to complain to the authorities if the decibel levels exceed prescribed limits by a few notches. But that will fall on "deaf" ears of the authorities again!

And yes, here's a solution that will take years. But it's eco-friendly and is very good. Grow trees around your property on the perimeter. They also function as dampeners and absorb sounds. Makes your garden, keeps dust of road out, your house cool and pleasant amongs many such positives!

Last edited by MX6 : 8th July 2010 at 12:49.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 20:31   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And yes, here's a solution that will take years. But it's eco-friendly and is very good. Grow trees around your property on the perimeter. They also function as dampeners and absorb sounds. Makes your garden, keeps dust of road out, your house cool and pleasant amongs many such positives!
Yes by the time the trees have grown up, all the other houses will need a renovation. Good long-term thought
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 22:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Just pay the colony garbage picker fellow to come overnight and dump a moundful of garbage there, ideally construction rubbble.

Done make it an eyesore but an impossible place to work for them. to hell with neighbors which consider others' homes as fair ground for work (dumping construction aggregates is only as far as it should be okay IMO!)
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 13:02   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just pay the colony garbage picker fellow to come overnight and dump a moundful of garbage there, ideally construction rubbble.

Done make it an eyesore but an impossible place to work for them. to hell with neighbors which consider others' homes as fair ground for work (dumping construction aggregates is only as far as it should be okay IMO!)

Was that a serious suggestion?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post

Was that a serious suggestion?
Well its not new. The Calcutta Municipal Corp did the same thing with some major establishments when they delayed payments of taxes and bills.

The major issue here is with compromise & 'chalta hai'.
Why doesnt this happen anywhere else in the world? Why cant the marbles be pre-cut at source and then moved to the site?
Why should we put up with such a nuisance? We do have laws which prevent us from partying late at night and we do have laws on noise pollution and disturbance too.

I would probably do this:
1. Look up the Indian law on public disturbance/noise pollution. Get all the legal details. sections, articles etc.
2.Speak to the owner/contractor and tell them that you will be charging them under specific section/article if they do not stop.
If they dont, register a police complaint citing the same laws.
Lets see where that takes you.

Most of us(probably including me) would just shrug it off and say 'swalpa adjust maari'. But I think there should be a limit after which we have to put our foot down.
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 14:43   #12
BHPian

^^
Easier said than done my friend.

Its simple to point to other countries and say it happens there - why not here. But its a moot point really. There are a lot of things that happen well here and not elsewhere - different dynamics at play. But thats OT here.

There are far and few people who will take up such a cause and fight for it. If the thread OP has the will and time - sure take up the case legally and fight a long battle. Most of the others will just deal with it (adjust maari as they call it).

Simpler solution is to get better sound proofing for your home (or even a specific room - to economize).

Better glass/ window & door insulations/specific wall plastering stuff etc. There are professional services that do this. Think of those Home Theatre demo rooms in noisy malls, with specifically designed acoustics.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 15:27   #13
BHPian

iVictor,

Unless the residents of the area get together, there is no way for such issues to be resolved.

I have (/had) issues with people dumping construction materials on the stormdrains, middle of the road etc. Initially when the residents got together, these subsided but subsequently everyone lost interest in regrouping. My house being at the far end of the road, I found it very difficult to take the car out. Speaking to the owner did little, so i threatened the contractor with a police case if he doesnt clean up.

A loud shout and a stern look did the trick with a couple of contractors, but there are some who never back down (and who you should be careful with). Like the one (friend of an MLA) illegally drawing water in the residential area.

Try giving a stern warning, followed by a police complaint threat. If these dont work and You dont have resources to waste/dedicate, then we just have to live with it.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th July 2010 at 15:29.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 16:26   #14

well Thnx guys. I get the jist... There are indeed several ways one can get back at the 'noise creators' if you will. But most would simply choose to turn the head away or put cotton in the ears. It's not bad either cos the 'adjust maari' has become part of the system. Seriously.
At least it's better than getting in line of fire with the contractors or hooligans belonging to some politica party who have nothing else to do in their lives but to exploit resources & give a f* to a common (wo)man.
We are not them, yet.

So what I did I do?

I talked them off to not do it on weekends; which is fine by me.

Ofcourse, the conclusion couldn't have been arrived at if someone 'discussed' this in a friendly, easy-going manner. You know what I mean.

Besides this, I'd also decided to go to office instead of working from home during the hours their work is going on; whenever I can. This is pretty better cos I'm not the only one who's doing 'adjust maari', it's mutual now.

/Peace
iVictor
iVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 01:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

You're getting into the mode of "perfect Indian" Victor; sad to hear this, but this is how things work in this country.

What really gets on my nerves is, when the Govt can impose a restriction on imported motorcycles to tune down the exhaust note to limit the noise pollution, why are they deaf towards these noises? I mean, the exhaust note is only for few seconds on the public road, but this construction noise is in the entire neighbourhood for several days. Forget about the loud speakers, that will become too complex to talk about.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote