Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 21:32   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The only exception to this is when bikers get routinely asked for paperwork at junctions. I don't bike but if I did that would really annoy me!
This is going a little off-topic, but even for the bikers' experience, there exists a valid explanation. Bikes are the easiest to steal, also there have been several chain-snatching incidents from thieves on bikes.

This probably deserves a separate thread, so in case anyone has any further comments on this, I request please start a new thread.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 17:52   #92
Newbie
 
nilanjanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't know if you can draw such generalized conclusions, but I do know after driving for 12 years in MH that if the cops did pull you up, they have a valid reason for the same. Though we may not notice it (because we are not well-versed with the law), I have NEVER been pulled over by a traffic cop without some or the other violation.

Being polite should be second nature (rather first nature if you could say that), not just because you want to escape without paying the penalty, but because you must appreciate the cop has a job to do, whether you like it or not.
Dear Honeybee,

I take your point to the extent that my conclusion may have seemed generalised to you but it was not - it was based on 3 personal experiences. Especially, when a cop sees your DL driving license and tells you on your face that he does not like people from the north. (The fact that I had a name of Bengali origin on it did not matter). The next two times the conversation went on to include "tum Dilli-wala log..." among other generalisations. Guess he was generalising too! My offence on two occasions was lane-changing while approaching a signal without an indicator and once for going straight from a right-turn lane (on a Sunday morning, with no town-side traffic on Mahim Causeway). Politeness was evident by it's absence here, despite me addressing them politely. It also did not matter that I changed lanes in the striped zone (where you can change lanes!) and not in the no-change zone.

I prefer paying a challans with a receipt - no shame in admitting to a fault caused knowingly or unknowingly. I would say you have been lucky and definitely a pretty good driver in the last 12 years for not being ticketed. Kudos. I quite proud of my driving skills and knowledge of traffic laws but then I guess there are some days that are just not on your side - ticketing someone on a mere technicality is nothing new in this country.

There are good cops and there are bad cops. I personally can't generalise and agree that they are all just being firm and just doing their job - every single moment. I would also submit that my thoughts were in context to a possible situation that a fellow driver may face post relocation to Mumbai.

Thanks for your thoughts, though, and happy driving forever....
nilanjanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:31   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanm View Post
... I would say you have been lucky and definitely a pretty good driver in the last 12 years for not being ticketed. Kudos....
Nilanjan, point taken.

Sorry to have given you the impression that I have never been pulled over. I have been, so I am not the perfect driver. The statement meant to say whenever I had been pulled over, I knew (not just 'sensed', but 'knew') I had committed some offense.

About the cop's reaction, I would like to believe it's a one-off incident that you met such a cop. Perhaps he too was having a bad day or maybe he was just bad tempered. Apologies if my reaction came as harsh. And now let's get back to the topic.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 22:30   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 137
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

It was for all these points above, I suggested that you rent a place in the western surburbs.
Sorry for not replying for long on this one been travelling across India and haven't had enough chance to login into tbhp.

PGNarain, this is the most elaborate and helpful post.Thank you! Tomorrow I start my hunt for a good apartment in western suburbs. Let's see how it goes.
Adi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:22   #95
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Hey Folks,

I will be relocating to Mumbai somewhere in the first week of August. My office is in SEEPZ, Andheri East and my office timing is 1 pm to 10 pm. I am a bachelor and plan on staying with my office colleagues. We are primarily looking out for a 2 BHK as close to our office as possible. Our budget is 10-12k. However, if this is unrealistic for any decent accommodation in and around Andheri East area, we can probably stretch it upto 15k. Also, I will be taking my 10 year old car with me.

I request forum members to kindly provide suggestions on the following points:
  • We would like to stay as close to the office as possible, in order to reduce the time and effort taken to commute. Which will be the preferable areas for us to stay, and roughly what kind of rent should we be looking at? Kindly note that one of our requirements will be parking space.
  • What are the things we need to consider while selecting an apartment, besides the distance from office?
  • Is it recommended to stay PG? What are the +ves/-ves of this?
  • Being from Goa, how much different is the climate in Mumbai?
  • Which mobile subscription would you recommend to purchase based on tariff and user friendliness? (a data pack will also be used)
  • Our internet usage will be a lot. Therefore, what sort of connection should we take? Is wireless broadband readily available and efficient? Or should we opt for a USB dongle? Portability is not a major requirement.
  • For mobile connection, internet connection, etc. what documents will be required for address proof? Will our address proof of Goa be sufficient for this? If not, what needs to be done?
  • For a car registered in another state, most people on this thread have recommended getting an NOC. Exactly what NOC is this and what is it meant to state?
  • I had heard that many residential societies have some policy against renting apartments to bachelor men. Can anybody clarify this?

This is all I can think of right now. Will put in more points in future if I need to know anything else.

Thanks in advance.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:39   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 304
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Hey Folks,
[*]For a car registered in another state, most people on this thread have recommended getting an NOC. Exactly what NOC is this and what is it meant to state?
NOC - NO Objection Certificate. You will need an NOC from your present RTO, which basically states that you don't have any pending dues, cases against you and that the present RTO has no objection to your number being transfered to another RTO. This along with some other docs and your present RC will have to be given and a new number and RC will be issued to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
[*]I had heard that many residential societies have some policy against renting apartments to bachelor men. Can anybody clarify this?[/list]
True, many residential societies do not allow Bachelors to stay within their society. But rest assured there is no dearth of accommodation in Mumbai - only question is - How much are you willing to spend. Andheri in general is a not cheap place to stay!!
PGNarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:56   #97
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Andheri in general is a not cheap place to stay!!
I am aware of that.

Generally what is the usual rent for a 2BHK around that area? What are the neighboring areas that will cost comparatively lesser?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 17:13   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I am aware of that.

Generally what is the usual rent for a 2BHK around that area? What are the neighboring areas that will cost comparatively lesser?
Are you planning to drive to office everyday or take a rick or take public transport? How much time are you willing to spend on traveling each way? If planning to travel by rick, how much money are you willing to spend each way?

15K for a 2 BHK is very low by Bombay standards. You may end up with a bad locality or bad commute or both.

I think place near SEEPZ would go for 25-40K per month for an unfurnished 2BHK depending on the locality - however, I am out of touch with the rental market - so others can clarify.

Last edited by carboy : 4th June 2013 at 17:17.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 17:44   #99
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you planning to drive to office everyday or take a rick or take public transport? How much time are you willing to spend on traveling each way? If planning to travel by rick, how much money are you willing to spend each way?

15K for a 2 BHK is very low by Bombay standards. You may end up with a bad locality or bad commute or both.

I think place near SEEPZ would go for 25-40K per month for an unfurnished 2BHK depending on the locality - however, I am out of touch with the rental market - so others can clarify.
Actually I am open to both options. If traffic is not too bad and the distance is not too much, then I may drive. Otherwise public transport. As for money spent on rick, I have no idea about the prevalent rates there.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:01   #100
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 764
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Answers inline in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Hey Folks,

I will be relocating to Mumbai somewhere in the first week of August. My office is in SEEPZ, Andheri East and my office timing is 1 pm to 10 pm. I am a bachelor and plan on staying with my office colleagues. We are primarily looking out for a 2 BHK as close to our office as possible. Our budget is 10-12k. However, if this is unrealistic for any decent accommodation in and around Andheri East area, we can probably stretch it upto 15k. Also, I will be taking my 10 year old car with me.

I request forum members to kindly provide suggestions on the following points:
  • We would like to stay as close to the office as possible, in order to reduce the time and effort taken to commute. Which will be the preferable areas for us to stay, and roughly what kind of rent should we be looking at? Kindly note that one of our requirements will be parking space.
Take a look at the Marol Area. Bhavani Nagar area or the area near Ashok Towers. It is close to seepz and cheaper than mainstream andheri. Lot of places to eat both cheap and not so cheap
  • What are the things we need to consider while selecting an apartment, besides the distance from office?
Commute time Commute time Commute time (especially in Andheri)
  • Is it recommended to stay PG? What are the +ves/-ves of this?
Your call based on your privacy needs. If P.G then how will you stay with office colleagues? Renting with known folks is best.
  • Being from Goa, how much different is the climate in Mumbai?
Less trees, same humidity or less, more traffic, more pollution. Please dont compare . But overall similar
  • Which mobile subscription would you recommend to purchase based on tariff and user friendliness? (a data pack will also be used
Vodafone or Airtel : use your judgement
  • Our internet usage will be a lot. Therefore, what sort of connection should we take? Is wireless broadband readily available and efficient?
MTNL is the best trusted source. Wired broadband with your own wireless router.
  • Or should we opt for a USB dongle? Portability is not a major requirement.
  • For mobile connection, internet connection, etc. what documents will be required for address proof? Will our address proof of Goa be sufficient for this? If not, what needs to be done?
You can use Goa address and id for cellphone. Dont think you can get it from MTNL
  • For a car registered in another state, most people on this thread have recommended getting an NOC. Exactly what NOC is this and what is it meant to state?
Dont be in a hurry to get NOC until you finish six months and are sure you like your job and the city. Then ask what a NOC is. Right now you dont need it.
  • I had heard that many residential societies have some policy against renting apartments to bachelor men. Can anybody clarify this?
Go through an agent. Your office will hook you up.

This is all I can think of right now. Will put in more points in future if I need to know anything else.

Thanks in advance.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:09   #101
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Take a look at the Marol Area. Bhavani Nagar area or the area near Ashok Towers. It is close to seepz and cheaper than mainstream andheri. Lot of places to eat both cheap and not so cheap
Thanks. I will certainly keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Your call based on your privacy needs. If P.G then how will you stay with office colleagues? Renting with known folks is best.
Yes you are right. I was also not too inclined towards PG due to lack of freedom. I guess that option is out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
MTNL is the best trusted source. Wired broadband with your own wireless router.
MTNL Triband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
You can use Goa address and id for cellphone. Dont think you can get it from MTNL
How about a permanent address proof from Goa and a letter from my employer with the address of my rented accommodation? Will that work?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:26   #102
BHPian
 
vvb8530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 206
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

There are a lot of flats on rent for bachelors with parking space available in JB Nagar, Andheri (East) within a rent of 20K/ month. This place is hardly a 10min drive including peak hour traffic from Seepz where your work place would be located.

Also JB Nagar is connected to the western express highway and Andheri Kurla road which will make commuting to the airports, western suburbs or downtown easier. The area also has all sorts of daily conveniences located in and around.

My office is in JB Nagar and i know a few property dealers around. If you need any help, PM me and i can give you their contact details.
vvb8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 19:16   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
MTNL is the best trusted source. Wired broadband with your own wireless router.
MTNL is great as long as there is no problem - then it's the cheapest and fastest. And for lot of people it works without issues. However, if there is a problem, it's very difficult to get it solved. Their technical people are essentially Telephone linemen. They come to your house - reset all your settings, right click on your desktop and refresh the screen 10 times - that's the sum total of their trouble shooting knowledge. If that works, great. If not, they say it's a server issue and they will change settings on the server. Then you keep calling up and asking they did change the settings on the server.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 19:29   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

OK I stayed briefly alone in the Andheri East area (kept my family at home due schooling issues) and let me share my experiences.


I wanted a PG type accomodation which provided food. Single room PGs were very expensive (around 15-20K for room alone) and one of the brokers suggested a service apartment. Well basically the arrangement was this. It is a normal 3 bedroom flat in a society rented out by the owner through a broker. 2 people in each room. Electricity charges in my " serviced apartment" was based on consumption per room. The owner had put 3 separate sub "AC meters" in each room and used to divide the total bill based on the different readings.

The owner provided a caretaker who stayed full time in the flat who did the cooking for which you had to pay around 750 Rs per month as your share of his salary . In addition the cooking charges (gas/provisions etc) came to around 1000 Rs per person per month The caretaker kept the place clean and collected the rent on the owners behalf every month.

Electricity charges was the issue. My first room mate was a young guy who used the AC moderately (there was also ceiling fan provided) but that person left after one month and a new spoilt yoing bloke fresh from a private MBA institute where money guarantees admission moved in. First job, clearly well off and apparently in Mumbai to help pass the time, the gentleman in question was supposed to have a marketing job but most of his marketing seemed to be from "working" all day from the room with AC running at 16 Degrees throughout the day and night. Needless to say my share of the electricity bill jumped from 600 per month to 2500 per month and you can guess who was having a nice time at my expense - my new room mate!!! The owner and the broker refused to intervene so there I was-left high and dry. Luckily the chap moved out after four months and the next person was from South India who did his work from his office and did believe in occasionally using that wonderful household equipment which we take for granted , called the cieling fan and things became normal again (I mean the electricity bill).

Now for the food. The cook and myself were from two ends of the route, the "Raptisagar Express" - at one time the train which had the distinction of having the longest journey time end to end in India- plies. And that said it all.I am now off from Roti and Dal for what looks like the rest of my life!!!


However the location was fantastic ,2km from the office, right next to the Western Express highway and convenient to everything including the airport and long distance buses. Being an established society, the security was also good.

There are quite few places like this around. Try to move in with a friend if you can but in PGs or Serviced Apartments getting two vacancies in the same room may be difficult unless it is a new place.

As "vvb8530" said, JB Nagar i feel is the best area for you. Lots of places around, and go through a broker. But dont believe blindly all what the broker says and check things out yourself. In my case I was told 2 of my fellow residents were pilots in an established airline, The "pilots" turned out in the end to be an Engineer and a Cabin crew member for the airline in question

Last edited by TKMCE : 4th June 2013 at 19:33.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 19:46   #105
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
There are a lot of flats on rent for bachelors with parking space available in JB Nagar, Andheri (East) within a rent of 20K/ month. This place is hardly a 10min drive including peak hour traffic from Seepz where your work place would be located.

Also JB Nagar is connected to the western express highway and Andheri Kurla road which will make commuting to the airports, western suburbs or downtown easier. The area also has all sorts of daily conveniences located in and around.

My office is in JB Nagar and i know a few property dealers around. If you need any help, PM me and i can give you their contact details.
JB Nagar sounds good. The few apartments I had checked online were in and around this place itself. So you recommend it? And 20k is for 2BHK right?

Also, I may need to travel to Malad East often since my relatives stay there. Will this be easily accessible via the WE Highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
MTNL is great as long as there is no problem - then it's the cheapest and fastest. And for lot of people it works without issues. However, if there is a problem, it's very difficult to get it solved. Their technical people are essentially Telephone linemen. They come to your house - reset all your settings, right click on your desktop and refresh the screen 10 times - that's the sum total of their trouble shooting knowledge. If that works, great. If not, they say it's a server issue and they will change settings on the server. Then you keep calling up and asking they did change the settings on the server.
Does it help if one is a computer professional himself and is experienced in using UNIX systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
...As "vvb8530" said, JB Nagar i feel is the best area for you. Lots of places around, and go through a broker. But dont believe blindly all what the broker says and check things out yourself. In my case I was told 2 of my fellow residents were pilots in an established airline, The "pilots" turned out in the end to be an Engineer and a Cabin crew member for the airline in question
Thanks for sharing your experience. It has certainly been an enlightening read and I will be aware of a few more important things to watch out for now.

Yes I think I will consider JB Nagar as one of the viable options. Staying alone will probably not be the case for me since the plan really is to stay with colleagues. Hence I guess I will not have the kind of issues you did..

Last edited by swarnava.m : 4th June 2013 at 20:08.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relocating to Chennai jraj Shifting gears 81 30th July 2015 15:48
Relocating to the UK superavi Shifting gears 91 24th September 2013 18:22
Relocating from BLR to Siliguri meerkat Shifting gears 26 14th March 2008 14:55
Relocating to BLR amtak Shifting gears 0 5th February 2008 20:06
R1 relocating problem! vidurc Superbikes & Imports 2 8th March 2006 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks