Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 19:46   #286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 52
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007
Just read thru the first few pages and found one of the best ways to make coffee missing. Don't know if it was covered later but here it is.

The Italian Mocca Pot. Absolutely superb coffee from it. Got a gift from a close friend years ago, and now we have many of different sizes, and carry one even when we travel [abroad included].

Everyone we have given one to has become an addict too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

Image is from wiki and not mine.
Check three post above you.
Indeed my favourite way . I have an electric moka pot. Cant live without it.
harshaguduru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:00   #287
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Yes, after you pointed it out, I saw it. I had skimmed the first few pages only.

Just brilliant, and like you said, the aroma is awesome. In fact we carry coffee powder from here even when we travel to Europe. It's a matter of what you get used to, even though you get great coffees in Europe.

It's better than the South Indian decoction system in my opinion. Thicker, richer, and it's hotter when done.
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 15:26   #288
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cyberabad / hyderabad
Posts: 132
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

where do we get good moka pots in india?
will the pigeon coffee maker or the one in cafe coffee day be a good buy?
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 15:55   #289
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
where do we get good moka pots in india?
will the pigeon coffee maker or the one in cafe coffee day be a good buy?
The Pigeon Xpresso Coffee Maker is pretty similar to the Moka pot or Bialetti. Should make a good buy at around Rs. 300 for a 3-cup pot. Mfg quality might not be the same as the Bialetti though. Also, it seems to be stainless steel rather than Aluminium.

Would anyone happen to know if Pigeon also offers replacement rubber gaskets and safety valves that fit the original Italian Bialetti? It would be nice to have a few spare safety valves and not be stranded on a Monday morning without coffee

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 16:50   #290
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 50
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
where do we get good moka pots in india?
will the pigeon coffee maker or the one in cafe coffee day be a good buy?
This is called "perculator" down south. Ask for it in any vessel stores (Bhartan bhandars)
D-nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 16:58   #291
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 669
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
where do we get good moka pots in india?
will the pigeon coffee maker or the one in cafe coffee day be a good buy?
These are not easy to clean and use.
You can get a steam driven espresso machine for ~3K.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 17:05   #292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cyberabad / hyderabad
Posts: 132
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

well i have already had filter coffee our south indian style , now to experiment other ways . starting with this the italian way

Added to that is completely over the top recommendations of the users of this moka pot ,so I am very curious to see this little boy in action

Last edited by kippu : 5th November 2012 at 17:12.
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 17:08   #293
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
These are not easy to clean and use.
You can get a steam driven espresso machine for ~3K.
Inferior coffee for ten times the price??

The Bialetti is very easy to clean. Ensure you clean the rubber gasket at the bottom of the upper vessel, as rubber is chemically sensitive. Just rinse everything else, simple!! No soap, it might take away the flavour
So you save on electricity bills AND on dish soap!
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 17:25   #294
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 669
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Inferior coffee for ten times the price??

The Bialetti is very easy to clean. Ensure you clean the rubber gasket at the bottom of the upper vessel, as rubber is chemically sensitive. Just rinse everything else, simple!! No soap, it might take away the flavour
So you save on electricity bills AND on dish soap!
Basically the Moka pot and the steam driven espresso works on same principle. They both drive the water using the steam through the coffee powder. So, I don't think the electrically operated one is inferior. But if you can always go for the pump drivem model.

I had the CCD one and it would leak every now and then due to coffee powder in the threads. Also, the Moka pot is a burn hazard. Burnt myself numerous times when decanting the coffee.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 17:44   #295
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Also, the Moka pot is a burn hazard. Burnt myself numerous times when decanting the coffee.
True, handling a hot Bialetti is a bit of a nuisance, especially when one hasn't yet woken up fully
I tend to double-filter my coffee, so it involves a thick cloth and other sundry apparatus on the filter. Never done myself an injury though.

Since I discovered the Bialetti, I've relegated my old thambi filter to the darkest corners of the kitchen cabinet. It was just too slow, poor thing! But I've never really fancied the coffee from the electric machines. I know they work the same way, but there's just something different.
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 18:05   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Smile Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

I am a big coffee freak , and 2 bits from my side to this lovely thread.

1. Go to you local steel utnsil shop or any good electrical appliance shop and ask for preeti drip cafe (preeti coffee maker).

2.Purchase coffee day powder from the coffee day outlet the best Coffee: chicory mix is either 70:30 or 80:20 depending on your like.
(i get 70:30 usually)

3.Use the new coffee maker and create a stong decoction ie add more powder and less water.

4.Once the decoction is made , add a few sachets of bru or nescafe instant coffee powder , its sort of adds more taste.

5. Do not dilute the milk , heat the milk , mix with coffee , add sugar to taste and serve is steel tumbler with a big cup . This is typical south indian coffee
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 18:20   #297
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I am a big coffee freak , and 2 bits from my side to this lovely thread.

1. Go to you local steel utnsil shop or any good electrical appliance shop and ask for preeti drip cafe (preeti coffee maker).

2.Purchase coffee day powder from the coffee day outlet the best Coffee: chicory mix is either 70:30 or 80:20 depending on your like.
(i get 70:30 usually)

3.Use the new coffee maker and create a stong decoction ie add more powder and less water.

4.Once the decoction is made , add a few sachets of bru or nescafe instant coffee powder , its sort of adds more taste.

5. Do not dilute the milk , heat the milk , mix with coffee , add sugar to taste and serve is steel tumbler with a big cup . This is typical south indian coffee
Ayyayyayyo!!! Saar! I was all ears until the 4th point! With all due respect, if you're using instant coffee then your filter coffee powder is NOT good enough, pure and simple! If you've got a 20-30% chicory blend, there is no need of this instant business. Preeti is a simple lady, she doesn't take too well to expensive stuff

On a serious note, have you tried the Cotha's or Bayar's blend? If not, please please do. Coffee Day powder is far from it. Really! If you already have, and then shifted to Coffee Day, I shall withdraw respectfully.
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 20:48   #298
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 669
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

On a serious note, have you tried the Cotha's or Bayar's blend? If not, please please do. Coffee Day powder is far from it. Really! If you already have, and then shifted to Coffee Day, I shall withdraw respectfully.
+1
Cothas and Tata coffee are far better than CCD stuff.

Also, there should be good quality coffee beans available in BLR. Get them and grind a small quantity everyday morning. The difference is tasted to be believed.

For those who love their coffee and is willing to spend some time for it take a trip to Madikeri /Koorg. A beautiful place to spend your weekend and while returning buy coffee beans (green/roasted according to your choice).

Last edited by archat68 : 5th November 2012 at 20:55.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 22:10   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Ayyayyayyo!!! Saar! I was all ears until the 4th point! With all due respect, if you're using instant coffee then your filter coffee powder is NOT good enough, pure and simple! If you've got a 20-30% chicory blend, there is no need of this instant business. Preeti is a simple lady, she doesn't take too well to expensive stuff

On a serious note, have you tried the Cotha's or Bayar's blend? If not, please please do. Coffee Day powder is far from it. Really! If you already have, and then shifted to Coffee Day, I shall withdraw respectfully.

Its been a while since we tried Bayars or cothas . Must try it again. we used to get that years ago and i dont know why we shifted.

those bru and nescafe are just for kicks , or may be our coffee maker is old and is not as efficient as it used to be .

Are you talking about the cotha's available in ready made packet or freshly ground powder?

Last edited by girimajiananth : 5th November 2012 at 22:27.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 09:46   #300
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
those bru and nescafe are just for kicks , or may be our coffee maker is old and is not as efficient as it used to be .

Are you talking about the cotha's available in ready made packet or freshly ground powder?
The consistency of the powder can also be instrumental in the quality of coffee you get from the filter. Our regular steel filters require a slightly coarse ground powder. If its very fine, it tends to pack very tightly when compressed, and filtration is very slow and tedious. Or the powder may just flow down through the holes.
For the Bialetti filters, a finer grind works too, since the powder is not compacted/compressed in the container.

Cothas/Bayars are available as pre-ground powders in vacuum-sealed packs, so some taste is preserved even if not opened for a while.

However, since you're in Bangalore, it would be best to visit a local coffee bean store and ask for a medium or coarse grind with 20% chicory (just for taste, nothing else). Works best with the good-ole filter.

And try to stay far far away from the CCD stuff. There's other things you can use for "kicks"

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A YetiGuideŽ : How To Post In Proper English Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 2771 20th August 2017 15:02
A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel Sam Kapasi Route / Travel Queries 1011 10th June 2017 15:59
A YetiGuideŽ guide to tattooing! Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 89 24th May 2017 15:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:39.

Copyright Š2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks