Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th July 2010, 12:35   #1

Default How do you re-cycle plastic covers?

Let us discuss about a very serious environmental issue, plastic has bee a part and parcel of our daily life, the situation is so worst, that we can not live with out the use of plastic.

I have been experimenting this for the past two years, and it works wonderful, its very simple and effective, just keep collecting all the plastic covers in a separate bag at home on a daily basis, after a month or so you will be having at least a KG of plastic covers, give this to any glossary shop, they will be very happy to receive this, and they will use this for packing. This way at least the plastic covers are re cycled once, may be if every body does this, this can reduce lot of plastic covers in the street.

Please share your thoughts on this.
deva kuduvalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 14:14   #2
BHPian

if you just throw them in rubbish ( seperately as dry) not with wet garbage , the rag pickers pick it up and selll it to recylcers.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 15:37   #3
BHPian

I feel that the best approach would be to avoid using plastic bags as much as possible. Carry your own shopping bag when going for grocery shopping.

I feel that the major supermarkets should also do something to reduce the usage of plastic bags. Currently we are required to submit our shopping bags at the parcel counter, which is generally far away from the billing counter. Hence we are forced to accept their plastic bags even if we are willing to carry our own shopping bags.

I feel that the only way to reduce the usage of plastic bags in India is to make it chargeable.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 00:26   #4
BHPian

I manufacture these bags, I tel you that huge quantities are recycled, the problem is disposal, when you tie leftover food or other yucky things in the garbage the rag pickers dont touch them. If wet and dry garbage are disposed separately the plastic problem wouldn't be .
Plastic is 100% recyclable . There is no alternative to it. Paper manufacturing is highly pollutant . The only way out is responsible disposal. Also degradable plastics, but the govt needs to take initiative here by banning non degradable plastic or providing subsides to eco friendly plastic making their price competitive.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 01:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

there are some stores in US that charge for plastic bags, and its a choice you make at the counter, you can buy a recyclable bag as well.

I bought two huge bags from sams club but we still accept plastic bags from groceries since all trash has to be tied up before the garbage man can take it. not sure if they do anything to it or just dump it at dump site.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 02:50   #6
BHPian

I mostly carry my own bag at many times, also refrain whenever the storekeeper tries to hand over polythene bags. But sometimes it is inevitable, like whenever I have to carry oily/wet stuff with some dry items.

I mostly reuse most of the plastic bags for something or the other, usually stock the older, useless, damaged ones in a larger polythene bags then sell it to the newspaper/plastic local scrap dealer for Rs 20/kg (never let it go for free, else sometimes they may take it for granted & may dispose off lethargically).
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 14:56   #7
BHPian

I hate it when illiterate people will ask the cashier to give them an extra plastic bag just because.

Cashier should just refuse!

I also hate it when these people ask for a plastic bag when all they bought is a small pack of Tooth-Paste. Why are they so shy about holding a Tooth-Paste or a bottle of drink with their hands? Its like they are buying condoms!

Cashiers should not hand out plastic bags if they buy small items.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 22:51   #8
BHPian

Default Re: How do you re-cycle plastic covers?

plastic bags are 100% recyclable, since i am an reprocessor of waste and scrap plastics into granules. only thing that comes into its way is the micron size, if its thick, its recyclable and rag pickers also have interest in collecting it, since by collecting few thick carry bags will fetch them a kg, but if its very light they wont give value after collecting lots of bags to get 1 kg.

charging for bags are failure in my city, few shops introduced it, but later backtracked.
but few shops gave discount for bringing our own bags, 1% discount was given. i have also got that discount once, but after sometime that proposal also gone in air. i dont know why?
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 11:00   #9
BHPian

Some supermarkets and malls in my locality have started charging for plasic bags. Charge is around Re1-Rs2 per bag.

While I welcome this move from the environment point of view, but from the customer's point of view what is the solution ?

Will the malls/supermarkets allow customers to carry their own bags inside the store ? Currently all bags have to deposited at the baggage counter, which is generally located away from the billing counter. How is the customer supposed to carry groceries from the billing counter to the baggage counter ? Has the system been worked out ?

Also, the fact that plastic bags are chargeable is mentioned only near the billing counter and not at the enterance of the store. The customer should be made aware at the enterance regarding the policy of charging for plastic bags.

Rohan
Old 11th May 2011, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
Some supermarkets and malls in my locality have started charging for plasic bags. Charge is around Re1-Rs2 per bag.

While I welcome this move from the environment point of view, but from the customer's point of view what is the solution ?

Will the malls/supermarkets allow customers to carry their own bags inside the store ? Currently all bags have to deposited at the baggage counter, which is generally located away from the billing counter. How is the customer supposed to carry groceries from the billing counter to the baggage counter ? Has the system been worked out ?

Also, the fact that plastic bags are chargeable is mentioned only near the billing counter and not at the enterance of the store. The customer should be made aware at the enterance regarding the policy of charging for plastic bags.

Rohan
Carrying your own bag inside a supermarket is no problem. They will let you take them in if it is empty. Stores like More sell jute shopping bags for a very nominal price of Rs 20. I have purchased it and always keep it in my car. Initially found it a little inconvenient and used to forget to carry it along a lot. But now it has become a routine.

Regarding recycling plastic, I save plastic bags, news papers, soft drink bottles, tins, glass bottles and give it for recycling every month. I pay my newspaper bills with the money I get.

Wish the rules were a little more strict regarding the use of plastic.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 13:41   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
This is due to recent order/rule from BBMP that use of 'low' grade plastic bag is punishable offense (1 lakh & 3 years jail). So most of the petty shops now refusing the bags! BBMP however stated that Shops can give recyclable plastic covers. Hence Rs 2 charge came into pictures. What I see is you will get same plastic with Rs 2. Only thing they are saying is we charge as per BBMP!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 14:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This is due to recent order/rule from BBMP that use of 'low' grade plastic bag is punishable offense (1 lakh & 3 years jail). So most of the petty shops now refusing the bags! BBMP however stated that Shops can give recyclable plastic covers. Hence Rs 2 charge came into pictures. What I see is you will get same plastic with Rs 2. Only thing they are saying is we charge as per BBMP!
No its not the same plastic cover as before. Earlier some petty shops provided very thin plastic bags (which are not recyclable).

But now only thick bags are allowed (which are recyclable). Now all plastic bags have their thickness printed on them.

Now even the juice shop in my locality is using these 'high' grade plastic bags for parcels. Needless to say, they are charging Rs 2 extra for parcel.

All in all, a good move from BBMP, as long as the supermarkets allow customers to carry their own empty bags inside the store.

But will this practice not increase the occurance of shoplifting ?

Rohan