Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th August 2010, 18:21   #481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Another thing I have been told is that when you park the car (for more than a few minutes), the front tires should always be pointing straight ahead. Are there any technical reasons behind this?
None, it is not even true.

Look at page 51 of this manual: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Manuals/drivermanual.pdf
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 19:31   #482
BANNED

One of my uncle who was a dumb but acted like perfectionist, used to give his driver 200/- for Putting Oil in Car Headlamps and of course the driver was the happiest lot.
Dr.Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 21:00   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

Another thing I have been told is that when you park the car (for more than a few minutes), the front tires should always be pointing straight ahead. Are there any technical reasons behind this?
Yep. This applies to cars with a HPS.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 21:21   #484
Senior - BHPian

ummmmm, what is HPS?

sorry about the ignorance...
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 21:28   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
ummmmm, what is HPS?

sorry about the ignorance...
Never mind. HPS stands for Hydraulic Power Steering.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:09   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yep. This applies to cars with a HPS.

Sorry for going off topic, but I'm curious. Could you please elaborate why it is so for cars with HPS?. Technical explanations please.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 22:28   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but I'm curious. Could you please elaborate why it is so for cars with HPS?. Technical explanations please.
Am sorry, I can't give you pin-point technical explanations. I remember reading about this long back in some automotive magazine. It was mentioned in particular. You are most likely to have some PS fluid leaks if you park with the wheels sideways, always. And that's about it.

This post i came across today comes close to what i am trying to say!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post930796 (Park your cars with wheels aligned straight?)
Old 31st August 2010, 00:43   #488
Senior - BHPian

In the States, I was taught that when parking on a slope or uneven road, the front tyres should be turned towards the curb.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 03:04   #489
Senior - BHPian

No offence, but this is so funny that it borders on being ridiculous. I did go through the thread from the link in the post too and that just adds to the absurdity.

The less said about the auto magazines and their correspondents/editors technical knowledge the better.

Quote:
Am sorry, I can't give you pin-point technical explanations. I remember reading about this long back in some automotive magazine. It was mentioned in particular. You are most likely to have some PS fluid leaks if you park with the wheels sideways, always. And that's about it.

This post i came across today comes close to what i am trying to say!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post930796 (Park your cars with wheels aligned straight?)
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 07:41   #490
Senior - BHPian

@khoj: isnt it physics of motion that tries to pull a turned wheel back into a straight line when the car's in motion?
This i know, because most of us here can testify to letting the wheels straighten out after a turn.I think you know what i mean.
what i dont get is this is just not possible in a stationary car.

of course, if you park your car with the wheels turned for, say, a couple of months/years, then maybe some associated rubbers might get permanently compressed etc.(assumption again), but pretty sure the PS system isnt struggling against the vagaries of a full lock while stationary.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 07:42   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
No offence, but this is so funny that it borders on being ridiculous. I did go through the thread from the link in the post too and that just adds to the absurdity.

The less said about the auto magazines and their correspondents/editors technical knowledge the better.
To each his own! I don't take what Auto Mags say for granted.

And oh, BTW, why not share all your technical prowess right here? Any solid explanations or was it just a 0 value comment?
Old 31st August 2010, 09:17   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
@khoj: isnt it physics of motion that tries to pull a turned wheel back into a straight line when the car's in motion?
This i know, because most of us here can testify to letting the wheels straighten out after a turn.I think you know what i mean.
what i dont get is this is just not possible in a stationary car.
the steering wheel turns back into straight position after a turn because of the steering geometry, more precisely the king pin inclination (steering axis inclination).

but i still prefer the wheels to be straight if i am parking my car on a level ground.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 09:23   #493
Team-BHP Support

Relax people, this thread is not about heated technical discussions. - Support team
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 10:03   #494
Team-BHP Support

I don't know about everyone else but I need to park absolutely symmetrically- that means perfecly within the "box", parallel to the curb, equidistant from the cars ahead and behind me and yes, with my wheels aligned dead centre. The missus, who is amused and frustrated at the same time by my attempts to get it "right" calls me borderline obsessive-compulsive, which may have some truth in it! But she does admit that I am the best parker she knows, which is a nice feeling!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 10:33   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In the States, I was taught that when parking on a slope or uneven road, the front tyres should be turned towards the curb.
That applies to a downward slope. But when you park on an upward slope, the front tyres should be turned away from the curb.

The logic perhaps means that if the car moves unintentionally (rare case of gear slipping to neutral, faulty handbrake, etc), it will be restricted by the curb.

Ive read this in a handbook named 'Arizona Driving Rules' with by bro-in-law.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote