Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 16:13   #676
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

For a change, a non-petrol head friend had me stumped, when he asked why the hatches have rear-wiper but sedans dont, while he thinks it should be the opposite. His logic was that given the rear glass of hatches are more perpendicular compared to the slanted glass of sedans, water should easily flow down with hatches compared to sedans. So, sedans need the wiper more than hatches.

I did not have an answer. Anyone ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 16:20   #677
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For a change, a non-petrol head friend had me stumped, when he asked why the hatches have rear-wiper but sedans dont, while he thinks it should be the opposite. His logic was that given the rear glass of hatches are more perpendicular compared to the slanted glass of sedans, water should easily flow down with hatches compared to sedans. So, sedans need the wiper more than hatches.

I did not have an answer. Anyone ?
On the contrary, since sedans have slanted rear windshields, the wind (air flow) over the rear glass will dry the water, which is not the case with hatchbacks with more "perpendicular" rear windshields.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 16:25   #678
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,595
Thanked: 1,198 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For a change, a non-petrol head friend had me stumped, when he asked why the hatches have rear-wiper but sedans dont, while he thinks it should be the opposite. His logic was that given the rear glass of hatches are more perpendicular compared to the slanted glass of sedans, water should easily flow down with hatches compared to sedans. So, sedans need the wiper more than hatches.

I did not have an answer. Anyone ?
The rear windshield of vehicles without a boot are splattered with dust, mud etc. The provision for rear wash-wipe is more to do with cleaning the glass of this mud/dust.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 18:31   #679
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,406
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The rear windshield of vehicles without a boot are splattered with dust, mud etc. The provision for rear wash-wipe is more to do with cleaning the glass of this mud/dust.
+1

Yes, the main purpose of rear windshield wash wipe is mainly remove dust, mud.

Hatches are more susceptible to these than sedans, hence most hatches have one, and sedans don't. However most think that the wipers are for wiping clear only water, and seldom use it to remove dust.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 21:35   #680
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

The technical term is creation of vortex due to which the rear windscreen on hatches get covered with mud whereas those of sedans don't.

This post will explain the concept better http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2018619 (If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?)

Last edited by MileCruncher : 8th April 2011 at 21:36.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 16:31   #681
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 739
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

My friend had bought a new Karizma ZMR and had posted pics on Facebook.
Some smart chap had commented on one of the pics and it read:
"Hey do you want to modify it?? We will add a V8 to it."
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 17:33   #682
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,848
Thanked: 2,143 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

^^

can fix a seperate carrier and mount the engine!
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 17:38   #683
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 2,331 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
"Hey do you want to modify it?? We will add a V8 to it."
V8!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^

can fix a seperate carrier and mount the engine!
Or a trailer can be coupled to carry the new mill
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 18:19   #684
BHPian
 
StrangeWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 739
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

My friends and me were going out somewhere when we spotted a Bentley. As usual I started drooling and my friend(doesn't have a clue about cars) said, " people buy these cars only because they are good looking. They have nothing in them. khaali dabba gaadi hai yeh toh!"
And according to him there is only 1 car that retails for 5 lacs i.e. Swift.

There are also some people who don't know anything about ex-showroom price, OTR price, octroi, different variants available in the car. They think that a car has got only 1 fixed price. My another friend told me that VW Polo comes for 4 lacs and Jetta for 10lacs.

^^ The above chap also said that even BMWs and Mercs don't offer power windows and music systems in base variants, then why to pay 30-40 lacs for them.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 18:40   #685
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

just found this thread- quite hilarious.

of the many quirks that i have endured - the one that sticks out -

was a friends friend talking about his Nexia- "Man, this car is so awesome that when the car reaches 6000 RPM the turbo really kicks in"

And - this is verbatim - i kid you not!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 23:04   #686
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
was a friends friend talking about his Nexia- "Man, this car is so awesome that when the car reaches 6000 RPM the turbo really kicks in"
Well, I have no clue about the turbo kicking thing, but I do know that the Nexia was regarded as a hoot to drive by many car magazines, but was overshadowed by the City I think.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 23:20   #687
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,884
Thanked: 2,044 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For a change, a non-petrol head friend had me stumped, when he asked why the hatches have rear-wiper but sedans dont,
Accent viva had rear wipers.

One of my friends drives a swift diesel. I asked him about turbo lag and I was shocked when he said that his car doesn't have a turbo.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 12:07   #688
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Accent viva had rear wipers.
Well, the Accent Viva was a hatchback, and as much as a sedan. The hatch of the Viva opens completely including the rear windscreen. A 5 door vehicle is considered as a hatchback.

That is why some Octys and 309s have rear wipers.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 12:14   #689
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 669 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Well, the Accent Viva was a hatchback, and as much as a sedan. The hatch of the Viva opens completely including the rear windscreen. A 5 door vehicle is considered as a hatchback.

That is why some Octys and 309s have rear wipers.
Technically it is correct to call the Hyundai Accent Viva, Skoda Octavia (and likes) a - 'notchback'.

Last edited by Klub Class : 13th April 2011 at 12:22.
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 14:12   #690
BHPian
 
inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 208
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My friends and me were going out somewhere when we spotted a Bentley. As usual I started drooling and my friend(doesn't have a clue about cars) said, " people buy these cars only because they are good looking. They have nothing in them. khaali dabba gaadi hai yeh toh!"
And according to him there is only 1 car that retails for 5 lacs i.e. Swift.

There are also some people who don't know anything about ex-showroom price, OTR price, octroi, different variants available in the car. They think that a car has got only 1 fixed price. My another friend told me that VW Polo comes for 4 lacs and Jetta for 10lacs.

^^ The above chap also said that even BMWs and Mercs don't offer power windows and music systems in base variants, then why to pay 30-40 lacs for them.
Very very true.

After I bought an i10 1.2 Sportz variant, one of my cousin thought that the salesman cheated me as i10 is available for 3.5lac, very less than 4.8lacs at which I got my i10 for!

My cousin thinks of only one single price; the price for that variant which one of his friends or relatives had bought.
Safari for 7 lac, civic for 10 lac and mercedeeez for 20lac
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you stick a bell on a wall? Pics of Quirky Signs Ram Street Experiences 2342 16th August 2017 10:57
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival shortbread Commercial Vehicles 85 26th August 2013 04:22
My first Non Non-Stop Travelogue! 3 States, 10 Days Vacation! pulsar56 Travelogues 73 31st May 2009 23:32
Funny problem...Just for your comments! DRC Technical Stuff 12 15th November 2006 14:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks