Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 16:51   #766
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 119
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

This logic was fired at me by one of sales assistant at Maruti's showroom while we were evaluating Ritz.
"Sir the rear end of this car is futuristic, its called Boomerang rear technology. Generally what happens in other cars that while driving at high speeds a vacuum is created at the rear end of the car which can make the car skid at the rear. But this new technology in Ritz helps to avoid that rear vacuum and its absolute rock solid at high speeds . This concept is taken from areodynamics!!!"

I just smiled and patted his back for one heck of a Vaccuum logic. He just made my day!!!

Last edited by headbanger : 11th June 2011 at 16:52. Reason: spelling correction
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 19:17   #767
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
This logic was fired at me by one of sales assistant at Maruti's showroom while we were evaluating Ritz.
"Sir the rear end of this car is futuristic, its called Boomerang rear technology. Generally what happens in other cars that while driving at high speeds a vacuum is created at the rear end of the car which can make the car skid at the rear. But this new technology in Ritz helps to avoid that rear vacuum and its absolute rock solid at high speeds . This concept is taken from areodynamics!!!"

I just smiled and patted his back for one heck of a Vaccuum logic. He just made my day!!!
ha ha ha ha Sales men are forced to think out of the box to sell their cars these days! You should have immediately questioned him if all other cars from the Suzuki stable, including the Swift are unstable due to the vacuum created by the absence of the boomerang technology
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 02:25   #768
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

That part about others cars being unstable could be ignored,but can there be some truth in the boomerang design of the rear of Ritz that has some aerodynamic reason?
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 02:52   #769
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bokaro Steel
Posts: 245
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
That part about others cars being unstable could be ignored,but can there be some truth in the boomerang design of the rear of Ritz that has some aerodynamic reason?
As far as my basic knowledge of air dynamics go, the inverted shape of Ritz will lead to more negative pressure then a non inverted shape aka swift
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 03:19   #770
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

the Ritz aerodynamic logic is hilarious! The sales guy has incredibly funny imagination! Wonder how me made all that up!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 08:51   #771
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
This logic was fired at me by one of sales assistant at Maruti's showroom while we were evaluating Ritz.
"Sir the rear end of this car is futuristic, its called Boomerang rear technology. Generally what happens in other cars that while driving at high speeds a vacuum is created at the rear end of the car which can make the car skid at the rear. But this new technology in Ritz helps to avoid that rear vacuum and its absolute rock solid at high speeds . This concept is taken from areodynamics!!!"

I just smiled and patted his back for one heck of a Vaccuum logic. He just made my day!!!
This chap should be given a pat on his back for thinking out of the box.

I mean it. Seriously, how many times does someone come up with such rock solid and convincing answers?
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 12:35   #772
BHPian
 
designersf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 603
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Amazing thought. To think of it, it is possible to do that isnt it. I mean the 800 engine bay is small, so we will have to cut the firewall, weld the front door in place, remove the dash and put the 3000 cc or even 4000 cc V 12 in the car. Then you sit on top of the car and drive!

Somewhat like this!
Attachment 558260
Nice one but instead of mounting the engine in the front, better to mount it behind the driver after removing the rear seats, a bit like the Clio V6 (previous generation). But I still wonder, will there be enough space at the back?
designersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 20:55   #773
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 119
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
ha ha ha ha Sales men are forced to think out of the box to sell their cars these days! You should have immediately questioned him if all other cars from the Suzuki stable, including the Swift are unstable due to the vacuum created by the absence of the boomerang technology
To be honest, I was not ready to digest any other super-tech idea. Thats why I just patted his back and went my way. But I do thank him for giving me a reason for enjoying a little smile whenever I think of him and his "super- boomerang" technology!!!
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:36   #774
BHPian
 
callvvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Almost an year back - My friend decided to buy Ford Figo. Was told that only "Squeeze Green" is readily available and for other colors he has to wait for some time. He and his parents were quite happy with the color. After doing the booking etc., one day for some reason he drops at the Ford showroom and this is the conversation

SE: blah blah blah, btw which color did you say sir?
Friend: Green
SE: Sir, we do not have a Green color in Figo.
Friend: WHAT? (has his heart in his mouth )
SE: Yes sir, we do not have a Green color in Figo. Please check out the brochure, sir.
Friend: But its your showroom staff who said only Green is readily available.
SE: Ohh!! Thats not Green sir. Thats Squeeze.
Friend:

Last edited by callvvijay : 14th June 2011 at 11:37.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 23:34   #775
BHPian
 
fast&furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 163
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Is it safe to drive an a/c car with the a/c turned off?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.I searched the forum but couldn't find anything similar.

A few of my friends told me recently that an ac car should always be driven with the ac ON. And driving it with the ac turned off can damage the 'systems'. They don't know what these 'systems' are but they said that all the components inside the car are created to work with the ac ON so it should be driven with the ac ON.

It might sound like a stupid statement but as a car lover, I don't want to do anything that is not good for my car.So I'm looking for some expert opinions here.
Thanks
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 02:04   #776
BHPian
 
Xehaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 845
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

^^^ Utter nonsense. Not true. The only systems being damaged by not using the AC "all the time" is that your interiors will be a bit dirtier as you will probably have your windows kept open
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:23   #777
BHPian
 
fast&furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 163
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Thanks Xehaust.

I thought it's true when I saw the crankshaft connected to the ac compressor in a diagram in the manual.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 00:18   #778
BHPian
 
Xehaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 845
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

It may be connected, but thats for the AC to actually work
Doesnt mean that the AC has to be turned on for other systems or the engine to work
And your very welcome.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 02:12   #779
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,423
Thanked: 6,347 Times
Default Re: Is it safe to drive an a/c car with the a/c turned off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
A few of my friends told me recently that an ac car should always be driven with the ac ON. And driving it with the ac turned off can damage the 'systems'.
You have been answered this anyway. But since your friends made this statement, lets think in a different way too.

Its not good for a car to be started with A/C in the ON position! This will put a lot of load on the battery, so we need to make sure A/C is OFF when we start the car. Also its a good practice to start the FAN / BLOWER first and then switch ON the A/C. And while switching off the A/C, first the A/C should be OFF and then the Blower brought to zero.

Your friend might have meant this too, but would have put it in a different way.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 07:47   #780
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,320
Thanked: 3,661 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Had to pick up a couple of colleagues, and the topic of cars came up. One guy says that petrol vehiclesare naturally more FE than diesel cars. This came after mentioning the relationship between taxis of the Indicas. Realised there was no point in trying to explain & explain to him.
Quote:
fast&furious : A few of my friends told me recently that an ac car should always be driven with the ac ON. And driving it with the ac turned off can damage the 'systems'.
A small correction : You need to use the a/c atleast once a month so that the components get required lubrication and use.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you stick a bell on a wall? Pics of Quirky Signs Ram Street Experiences 2345 21st August 2017 11:17
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival shortbread Commercial Vehicles 85 26th August 2013 04:22
My first Non Non-Stop Travelogue! 3 States, 10 Days Vacation! pulsar56 Travelogues 73 31st May 2009 23:32
Funny problem...Just for your comments! DRC Technical Stuff 12 15th November 2006 14:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks