Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:37   #901
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,397
Thanked: 3,420 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
There have been more than once my wife has said about the Fortuner that its glass area is too less & wish it was as much (& also tall) as Scorpio & Safari. When I tried correcting her (O Lord! please forgive me ) & that a taller SUV is recipe for more body roll, she has only one comment to end the discussion - "How would we (read you) know when we (read you) do not own one?"
Thats a very valid arguement and let me go a step further and suggest you go out and buy one for her just to prove your point. Look at the good side of it.
1. You get to explain your point and how many times does a guy get such an opportunity where you can actually emerge as a winner in an arguement/discussion with your better half.
2. You will have the Fortuner in your garage..!!

A win win situation from both the angles.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 13:04   #902
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

last weekend, my 6 year old son and I were returning from a cousin's place in our car. On the NH4 bypass near Chandni chowk, there is a diversion put up for some ongoing work. The multiple boards indicated the direction and the highway authority NHAI.

My son starts reading the boards and his excitement increases with every board he reads. There are about 5 boards and by the 5th board he is literally shouting 'Nhai Nhaai Nahi nahi Nahiii'. He asks me why they have not up a simple No entry board instead, the kind we find in town. Then for good measure he asks me if this means this road is not worth using.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 15:35   #903
BHPian
 
nettooran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 101
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

While checking out ford fiesta classic for my bro, he inquired to the sales guy why they are not including a USB along with the music player for a car that cost 7L+ ? The sale guy replied " Pendrives bring in virus along. so ford is avoiding it"
nettooran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 01:11   #904
Newbie
 
Maverick0129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

The latest one I heard was from a service adviser who recommended I change my engine air filter in order to have fresh air coming through the ac vents. When I suggested that she probably meant the cabin air filter, she insisted that she did in fact mean the engine air filter!! and furthermore she went on to tell me that when her car had a foul smell she got the cabin air filter replaced, but that didn't help so she got the engine air filter replaced and the foul smell went away.
Maverick0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 09:02   #905
BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 939
Thanked: 551 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

I was in my office indica having a general discussion on TATA cars.
The cab driver then started talking about Nano.

According to him it has plastic body and hence is banned on mumbai -pune expressway

I decided to keep quiet
silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 10:00   #906
BHPian
 
TaurusAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai - MH 01
Posts: 512
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

As soon as I got my hand on my Ritz VDI, a gentleman from our industry met me at a function and saw my car in the lobby of the hotel. Apparently he had got his hand over Ritz ZXI recently too. Just out of curiosity, I asked him any particular reason why he preferred Petrol over Diesel ?

I guess he felt cornered by my question. He thought for a while and replied, the sales guy told me, Ritz is best in petrol and Swift is best in Diesel. As i wanted Ritz, i was forced to by Petrol. I had no option but to keep quiet.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 22:59   #907
Newbie
 
AH-Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ghaziabad
Posts: 6
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

I have quite a few experiences amusing and even irritating to an extent. When we bought the Jazz, one of our relatives seriously asked, "itne paison mein dzire hi le lete!, badi gaadi hai"(could have got a dzire for this much money, its a big car!).
All i could brace myself to do was a meek smile.
A classic 'joke' going around in my father's friend circle which i overheard is that eon is a 'raddi'(worthless) car. Its toughness n quality is below the alto. The reason is that the car has tedi medi(has creases!?!?!), while alto is solid as a rock!
AH-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:19   #908
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 245
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Couple of years back when the i20 had just released. 2009 i think, a friend of mine, observed a i10 and an i20 standing next to each other and saw the size difference between them. Slight pause,after which he said "dude i think i100 must be a limousine"
promit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:43   #909
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: KA-09
Posts: 299
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

I couldn't stop myself from sharing the snippets on my recent visit to check out the XUV:


At India Garage checking out XUV500 - some pearls of wisdom by the sales guy:


1. In XUV we have "two stage door opening". When in traffic and parking spaces, you can open the door slightly and when you have space you can open the door fully

2. XUV weighs 2450 Kg and Yeti heavier than XUV by 30 Kg!!

3. Currently W8 AWD is not available. Mahindra is upgrading the AWD system and coming out with a XUV Thar version!!!! and that South Indian don't need AWD. only people in Rajasthan and Ladakh need AWD!!!

4. XUV has a 17" wheel base and is higher than most of the cars in its class

octane_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 09:13   #910
BHPian
 
Turbokick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 512
Thanked: 236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I couldn't stop myself from sharing the snippets on my recent visit to check out the XUV:


At India Garage checking out XUV500 - some pearls of wisdom by the sales guy:


1. In XUV we have "two stage door opening". When in traffic and parking spaces, you can open the door slightly and when you have space you can open the door fully


Probably the most shocking and funniest thing ever told by a sales person.
He deserves a firm pat on his back for his intelligence
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 12:28   #911
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 626
Thanked: 318 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I couldn't stop myself from sharing the snippets on my recent visit to check out the XUV:


At India Garage checking out XUV500 - some pearls of wisdom by the sales guy:


1. In XUV we have "two stage door opening". When in traffic and parking spaces, you can open the door slightly and when you have space you can open the door fully


Sorry for my naivety but I felt that this is true. Many cars today are equipped with latch system where when a door is pushed open, it would only open to about halfway and you need to push once again to open it fully. This feature make it convenient to get out of the car in tight spaces without scratching your door by accidentally hitting nearby car or other object.

I do agree that there is a separate feature of two stage door lock which is totally different.

I somehow seemed to have missed the joke here.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 17:03   #912
BHPian
 
SuperSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 82 Times
Talking Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

How to determine the cruising speed of a car as per a colleague of mine. He owns an 800 cc Alto.

"For an 800 cc car the cruising speed will be 80 kmph and a 1000 cc car will cruise easily at 100 kmph". Hmm..some logic, but I thought if he's just removing a '0' from the engine capacity to determine the cruising speed of a car I was thinking then he would say a 2000 cc car will cruise easily at 200 kmph?? What logic saar!
-----------------------------
Sometime back I saw some kids playing around a car which had twin exhausts and one of them in an impressive tone said to the others 'hey look! A double-engine car'. coz as a kid even I thought so
SuperSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 17:10   #913
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
1. In XUV we have "two stage door opening". When in traffic and parking spaces, you can open the door slightly and when you have space you can open the door fully
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Sorry for my naivety but I felt that this is true. Many cars today are equipped with latch system where when a door is pushed open, it would only open to about halfway and you need to push once again to open it fully.
That's true, mostly European cars have this feature. There are two stages during the door's open (outward) travel where it kind of latches softly into position. This makes it so easy to ingress/egress while the vehicle is parked on a sideways slope and you have to keep the door open without holding it to prevent a closure due to its weight. Enjoying the feature in my Palio and Punto!

Last edited by clevermax : 17th July 2012 at 17:15.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 17:18   #914
BHPian
 
AlphaKilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VOMM-EDDW-EDDM
Posts: 773
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Happen to hear two boys speaking about CC (cubic capacity)
According to them 'cc' is the max speed capability of the vehicle
i.e., TVS 50 - 50cc - 50kmph
Splendor - 100cc - 100kmph
Pulsar 150 - 150cc - 150kmph
Going by their logic, max speed of pulsar 220, Bull 350/500??
Poor maruti 800 should be doing 800kmph

According to my friend in a twin spark plug (DTSi) vehicle if one plug fails the other will continue its duty (i.e., only one spark plug will be working and once it fails, the other will start working)
Reviving a old post!
Going by same logic what speed will the Volvo B13R/Mercedes O500RSD do with those monster 13 and 12 litre engines respectively?
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 17:24   #915
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Not a funny comment or a logic.
But got to know of a funny incident of ignorance.
An acquintance's car's temperature rose,and it stalled due to overheating.
And he added water to the engine,from where you add engine oil instead of radiator, and drove on
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you stick a bell on a wall? Pics of Quirky Signs Ram Street Experiences 2342 16th August 2017 10:57
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival shortbread Commercial Vehicles 85 26th August 2013 04:22
My first Non Non-Stop Travelogue! 3 States, 10 Days Vacation! pulsar56 Travelogues 73 31st May 2009 23:32
Funny problem...Just for your comments! DRC Technical Stuff 12 15th November 2006 14:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks