Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 00:24   #1081
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 119
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Here is an explanation of the ribbed roof of new alto from an enthusiastic salesman from rana motors, Gurgaon.
Sir, this pattern of roof has been a straight lift from honda CRV. It gives the alto a premium look like it.:-)
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 01:14   #1082
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 322
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
in fact many auto-drivers/taxi wallahs, who drive their own vehicles, love their vehicles. That is why they don their pride and joy with weird stickers and paint jobs. While that might not seem to be in good taste to us, it can be taken as a measure of their love for the car/auto (not always, but mostly). In that sense, they are true petrolheads at the core.
Very true. There are so many autorickshaw drivers at TVM who have installed dashboards and decorative metal/plastic strips on their autos and I used to think the exact same thing whenever I see one.

A few months back I was at a workshop with a welder who was welding the tip my broken silencer (on the bike). Next to this welder's workshop there is a small two/three wheeler spare shop. There I still remember this young autorickshaw driver trying different wheelcups (plastic) on the front wheel of his Bajaj and trying to decide which one looks better. For a minute I thought, even with the limited income he has, he is taking the time out to make sure his vehicle looks superb. There was kind of an excitement on his face. I felt respect for that guy at that moment. While I was waiting for the welder I looked inside his auto and saw rich upholstery work inside it and in the back of the auto it was written - 'Paavangalude Innova' - meaning - 'Innova of the Poor'. They really are petrol-heads.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 13:02   #1083
BHPian
 
drkakkilaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandya
Posts: 109
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Petrol heads.??? I think it's time to introduce propulsion heads..

I was telling my friend of my experience of Indian GP and how the engines scream. He cut in between and said, the technology used is very advanced , they use jet propulsion engines and not the usual ones which runs of diesel.

I said - is it..??!!? ll be damned..!!!
drkakkilaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 13:09   #1084
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,054
Thanked: 3,184 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
Petrol heads.??? I think it's time to introduce propulsion heads..

I was telling my friend of my experience of Indian GP and how the engines scream. He cut in between and said, the technology used is very advanced , they use jet propulsion engines and not the usual ones which runs of diesel.

I said - is it..??!!? ll be damned..!!!


Probably met your friend too(No offense meant here, k?)
In college, I was adjacent to a discussion in the parking lot next to my bike, a gen1 P180.
Apparently, my top speed could have been more if the exhaust pointed 180 degrees opposite the direction of motion. Maximum force.
Another jewel that came through was the upturned exhaust was to help in wheelies.


As you can see, these people sound educated, but unworldly.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 13:36   #1085
BHPian
 
carzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 567
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Recently had a conversation with my friend which went something like this:

He: One should buy a car with ACC. When you leave it under the sun, the car does not get hot as the ones without ACC. When you return, the car will have the interior temperature you set on the ACC.

Me: What crap! How is it possible.

He: The A.C. keeps on running in the car when you are away and keeps it cool.

Me: HOW! You have the car keys with you or do you keep your car keys in the car itself while you leave it on the roadside under the sun.

He: No. The car does maintain the temperature. You don't need to keep the engine on.

Me: Thats a great technology, will surely buy my next car with an ACC.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 15:02   #1086
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Me: Thats a great technology, will surely buy my next car with an ACC.
I am reminded of the ACC cement ad tagline: 'is cement mein jaaaan hai' (loosely translated as This cement has 'life')

Perhaps this car too has 'life' to use ACC without the keys!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 15:17   #1087
BHPian
 
carzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 567
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am reminded of the ACC cement ad tagline: 'is cement mein jaaaan hai' (loosely translated as This cement has 'life')

Perhaps this car too has 'life' to use ACC without the keys!

Thats a good one selfdrive!
Surely, I am going to use this tagline of yours the next time this topic comes up during our conversation!!!
Before that, I will have to make him aware that ACC is Automatic Climate Control. (Talking about the abbreviation)
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 10:22   #1088
BHPian
 
Farukh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

On a recent trip:

Friend 1: Friend 2 is better driver than you.
Me: (swallowing my pride) I agree. But how do you judge? You can't drive.
Friend 1: He needs only 1 hand to control the steering and you need both.
Me:

No doubt Friend 2 is better driver than me but Friend 1's logic in judging is commendable
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 09:13   #1089
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 178
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Well this not from a friend but by a chap on facebook who posted about his new possession the Safari Storm, one of his friend crticised Tata for messing up the looks by removing spare wheel from back. The explaination the chap gave is as follows-" no man they have done it for a purpose, by having the spare wheel at the back the Safari used to understeer a lot! And by using composite carbon fiber(yes no typo here) they have made an effort to give a RR Evoque look!" lol i had a great laugh reading this. And also he mentioned his Safari as top of the line 'VLX' !!

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 8th December 2012 at 09:15. Reason: Typo error.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 14:20   #1090
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

One day I confront my better half regarding my driving.

Me: "So you think your maama (uncle) drives better than me?"
She: "Yes"
Me: "You know how he drives his Swift, zig zagging in traffic with sudden acceleration. Do I ever do that? How can you say he is better?"
She: "I just like his driving better"
Me: "And you think your brother drives better than me?"
She: "Ofcourse he drives better"
Me: (Im boiling now) " May I remind you he has had incidents? And the last time we were travelling on highway he was doing 120km/hr while I always keep the car under 100? "
She: " He listens to me, thats why "
Me: "Why dont you drive and I'll take a back seat"
She: " I get tired soon na what to do "

Last edited by Blue_V : 10th December 2012 at 14:23.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 15:27   #1091
BHPian
 
shiju.dba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 64
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

"RD350 mileage is 2-3 KMPL, because it has 2 engines of Rajdoot 175 welded together.
shiju.dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 15:53   #1092
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 381
Thanked: 304 Times
Default

The above post reminds me of a letter which was published in Auto India when I was in school.

The reader was wondering why Tata couldn't make a V8 for the Safari by combining two Indica engines, which had proved to be highly reliable!!

The editor though duly pointed out that making a V8 is not as simple as the reader made it sound.
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:28   #1093
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Well, the guy is right to an extent.
Afterall the W16 in a Veyron is, simply put, two V8 from an Audi welded together!! :-P
mahesh.kolary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 20:03   #1094
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,159 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The above post reminds me of a letter which was published in Auto India when I was in school.

The reader was wondering why Tata couldn't make a V8 for the Safari by combining two Indica engines, which had proved to be highly reliable!!

The editor though duly pointed out that making a V8 is not as simple as the reader made it sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.kolary View Post
Well, the guy is right to an extent.
Afterall the W16 in a Veyron is, simply put, two V8 from an Audi welded together!! :-P
Did you'll know that the Ariel Atom's 8-cylinder engine is essentially two Suzuki Hayabusa engines welded at the crank?

Similarly, the original Aston Martin Vanquish is powered by a stonking V12 mill and this engine is nothing but the amalgamation of two Ford Mondeo V6 motors!

But it's true that it isn't as easy and simple as it sounds.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th December 2012 at 12:04. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 11:56   #1095
BHPian
 
Viju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Narita
Posts: 837
Thanked: 1,571 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Did you'll know that the Ariel Atom's 4-cylinder engine is essentially two Suzuki Hayabusa engines welded at the crank?
Guess you meant to say the Atom's V8 engine since the Busa already has an I4.
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you stick a bell on a wall? Pics of Quirky Signs Ram Street Experiences 2343 19th August 2017 15:52
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival shortbread Commercial Vehicles 85 26th August 2013 04:22
My first Non Non-Stop Travelogue! 3 States, 10 Days Vacation! pulsar56 Travelogues 73 31st May 2009 23:32
Funny problem...Just for your comments! DRC Technical Stuff 12 15th November 2006 14:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks