Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 12:00   #1096
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,865
Thanked: 2,217 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Mazda has/had something similar in the RX8 with two rotary engines welded together to form one engine.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 12:07   #1097
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,006
Thanked: 6,162 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Guess you meant to say the Atom's V8 engine since the Busa already has an I4.
Oh yes, that was a typo. The Atom's V8 is two 'Busa engines welded together.

But, is the RD350's motor really the amalgamation of two Rajdoot 175 engines? I'm not sure?
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:36   #1098
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh yes, that was a typo. The Atom's V8 is two 'Busa engines welded together.

But, is the RD350's motor really the amalgamation of two Rajdoot 175 engines? I'm not sure?
I can say with a lot of confidence - no. The Rajdoot 175's engine was a very primitive 2-stroke motor. I have opened one up and serviced it. You could, if you kicked it right, start the engine in the reverse direction of rotation. I have done that also - put it in 1st gear and gone backwards

The RD350 was way more sophisticated.
KiloAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:21   #1099
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,588
Thanked: 80,516 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Mod Note : Please stick to the topic. Thanks!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 13:56   #1100
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

A comment from my non-enthusiast friend.

When the reverse gear is used, the AC must be compulsorily switched off as it puts extreme load on the engine :-D
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 17:14   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,077
Thanked: 3,668 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Nice posts friends,

Here's my experience.

In Ranchi...some 3-4 years ago. We were invited (by the owner) to test drive a used Maruti 800 in which my friend was interested. Before seeing the car, I asked the year/ model of the car and the owner stated that it's a 2004 model and he won't except anything less than 2 lacs for it in a very stern voice! I was little fumed from inside as the statements were made in wrong tone...As if he is doing a charity by selling his 800 in 2 lacs to us!

Now that we had come to see the car, we proceeded to the parking space. It was a white, new model 800 looking in acceptable cosmetic condition from outside. Before starting the car, I asked the owner to open the bonnet. He insisted on cranking the car...but I insisted that I want to have a look inside.

Next what happened was something I could not have asked better...a point to give him back what he gave to us. There was a nice old carburetor greeting us when the bonnet was raised. I said it's no way a 2004 car, will you tell us the actual year of manufacture of your car...but he insistent in an arrogant way that it is a 2004 made car and he bought it brand new.

This time, I asked him in a stern tone which he offered us a little back that how come a 2004 model car is not an MPFI car? and why he is trying to fool us. Also, the car had repair marks on the left side in the fender area. I asked if he had an accident with the vehicle; which finally he said yes..."once it happened"!

About the MPFI thing, the reason he gave was hilarious... & stupid enough
He said that he intentionally bought a 'carbureted' version of 800 as he did a lot of 'highway trips' & MPFI cars were not reliable and if they broke down on the highway, we cannot repair it...so its better to have a carburetor model. I went

We walked away even without cranking/ starting the car leaving the man disgusted. He offered a 'final' price of 1.6 lacs when he saw us walking away. But more than price, the guy's attitude and the fact that he lied had put me off long before. & I was happy that I gave him back what he deserved.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th March 2013 at 17:16.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 21:56   #1102
BHPian
 
Turbokick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 512
Thanked: 236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Nice posts friends,
.

Next what happened was something I could not have asked better...a point to give him back what he gave to us. There was a nice old carburetor greeting us when the bonnet was raised. I said it's no way a 2004 car, will you tell us the actual year of manufacture of your car...but he insistent in an arrogant way that it is a 2004 made car and he bought it brand new.


Regards,
Saket
I think its the Euro 1 model of 800 which came with carb. I have a 2005 model 800 Euro 1 version which isnt fuel injected (mpfi). His claim cannot be entirely dismissed.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 09:24   #1103
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 331 Times
Default

In the context of discussing mid size sedans, my friend: all other cars are ok, but I hate the Passat and Camry!

Me (curious): why so?

Friend: In passat they put the wall clock on the car. They can't even afford a digital clock.

Me: well... And the Camry?

Friend: I don't like the Toyota logo.

Guess car selection is based on a completely different set of criteria for non-petrol heads :-)
(Not that I would buy either of these cars though)
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 10:11   #1104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

This happened yesterday morning. I was going to my office along with my colleague after parking my bike in the basement floor when he noticed a Jeep(MM540) sitting in the parking lot. He suddenly turned excited and pointed out to me,"Look, they have fitted the silencer in the front of the car, just like the old tractors."
Bemused, I turned around to notice the 'Silencer', a fake snorkel attached to the side of the jeep.
I later explained him the whole concept of a snorkel and he just nodded his head all along, probably thinking the silencer idea is a gem that he should be trying out for his vehicle!
mahesh.kolary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 12:27   #1105
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 683 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

A friend of mine who moved to US recently, pinged me in a chat and said, "I bought a 2005 Accord".
Me: oh, so you are a typical Indian in the US. BTW, which engine is it? 2.4L, 3L or 3.6L?
He: oh, what is that?
Me: that's the engine capacity dude.
He: how do I find that out?
Me: don't tell me you didn't check it out before buying!

After a few minutes, he pinged again and said: It is a 2.4L
Me: how did you know?
He: I checked the invoice!
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 15:22   #1106
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Long ago, a friend of mine who had bought a brand new LML Vespa told me he had bought a "Bajaj LML Vespa 150 NV"!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 17:17   #1107
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,161
Thanked: 2,421 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Long ago, a friend of mine who had bought a brand new LML Vespa told me he had bought a "Bajaj LML Vespa 150 NV"!

Your friend was right actually.
Long ago, Bajaj did build the 150 under license from Piaggio.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 17:24   #1108
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

^^ No, he was not! He was referring to his LML Vespa 150 NV made by Lohia Machines! By that time the Bajaj - vespa venture was dead for a couple of decades!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 14:16   #1109
Senior - BHPian
 
W.A.G.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 712 Times
Exclamation Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

One of my friends recently told me, that "Tata have launched the Safari Storme. Know what? It has wheels that can turn 90 ! And all 4 wheels turn 90 in place. The car can turn in some seriously short space!! "
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 09:29   #1110
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 331 Times
Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
In the context of discussing mid size sedans, my friend: all other cars are ok, but I hate the Passat and Camry!

Me (curious): why so?

Friend: In passat they put the wall clock on the car. They can't even afford a digital clock.

Me: well... And the Camry?

Friend: I don't like the Toyota logo.

Guess car selection is based on a completely different set of criteria for non-petrol heads :-)
(Not that I would buy either of these cars though)
Same friend ruled out Mazdas and Subarus too. Here's why:

- "When you say Mazda I remember Swaraj Mazda"
- "Subaru sounds like Subbarao"

rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you stick a bell on a wall? Pics of Quirky Signs Ram Street Experiences 2345 21st August 2017 11:17
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival shortbread Commercial Vehicles 85 26th August 2013 04:22
My first Non Non-Stop Travelogue! 3 States, 10 Days Vacation! pulsar56 Travelogues 73 31st May 2009 23:32
Funny problem...Just for your comments! DRC Technical Stuff 12 15th November 2006 14:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks