Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th July 2014, 22:45   #1186
BHPian

Default Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
Because when the car is in P mode all that is stopping the 1000s of KGs of the car from moving is a little pin in the transmission. On level surfaces its fine, but on an incline imagine how much stress is on that. If it brakes imagine what will happen.

But here in USA no one uses parking break at all. Neither I use it at all while in USA nor I use it while in India. I haven't faced any issue with AT gearbox in any of the car that I have owned in USA so far and that includes 2005 Toyota Corolla with 175K miles on it. Even back home also, we don't use hand break on my Merc C220 CDI or my mom's i20 AT.

Matter if fact, I heard this for the first time that parking the car in P mode creates a pressure on Auto transmission.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2014 at 13:44. Reason: fixed quote tags
Nitrous Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 23:41   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nobody really uses parking brake in automatic cars in USA, except may be in slopes. I don't recall using parking brakes in my 9 year stay in USA. I started using P.brakes only after coming back to India in 2004.
Dunno - I always used hand brakes whereever I parked in US, and continue to do so in India. Maybe coz my driving instructor taught to do so. Also while in US, the first apartment complex I spent 2 years in was spread across gentle rolling hills - maybe that ingrained the habit!
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 00:52   #1188
Senior - BHPian

I may be interfering, but some neighbors need to be shown their place in the knowledge chain.

When I bought my i10 and revealed the price to one of my neighbors on request, he gave a sly laugh and said ' why do you guys go to buy cars, you paid 2 lakhs extra. i10 does not cost more than 4 lakhs. You should have told me you want to buy an i10 and I would have gone with you'.
Mind you this guy was almost 15-20 years older than me, so out of respect I stated that my car is the top model, has 1.2L engine and has many safety features, to which he responded 'poysa ache bolei khorcha kortey hobe?' (Just because you have money you have to spend it?).
I gave a yes/no mumbled answer and drove away. In hindsight, I should have exposed his limited knowledge in front of his sidekicks.

Apologize again for the rant.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2014 at 15:26. Reason: Quoted post deleted, thanks
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 01:09   #1189
BANNED

I bought a (commercially) failed top model premium petrol hatchback.
Now I do get asked a lot as to how much did I pay for it.
I do (truthfully) tell how much I paid for it.

Everybody's first reaction is, "Itne mein toh swift aa jaati(In this much money you could have bought a swift)/Swift le lete(You should have bought a swift)"

Now, I instead of hurting the people and their sentiments, just stand there, and smile, and if someone pushes me to the extreme to answer, I say, (well, I lie) that "waiting period bahut tha(a lot of waiting period). Even though I did not even go 200 yards near a maruti dealership.
And the real pesky ones say, but it would have been worth the wait, again I just stand there and smile sheepishly.

But at no point in time do I ever get offensive or disrespectful to the other people's cars.

And I cannot condone such disrespectful behaviour.
HyperRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 04:38   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hahahaha! Not exactly same but I have similar incidence.

A friend of mine was riding alonside me on his Suzuki GS150r, i was on a Unicorn.

I asked him to cruise at 50kmph and not go faster. Pat came his reply "Not possible"

The conversation went like this:

Me: Why?

Friend: In my bike, the speedometer wire is fixed at the rear wheel.

Me: (I know this was the 1st point of complete bull****, still I ignored it and asked "So?")

Friend: Arey, my speedometer and your speedometer can never match, if you are doing 50kmph, my bike will be actually doing 60-65kmph cuz since the wire is attached with the rear wheel, it gives different readings.

After this statement I was just going to jump off my bike right away, but you know how sometimes you just have to ignore and choose not explaining them rather than getting in an argument and waste tonnes of energy.

-Bhargav

I have had a very similar experience.. and till date it's a mystery unsolved for me. We had a friend who claimed he goes fast 80s 90s so easily in the town on his Honda Street (remember the rotary gears?) We made fun of him, yeah nice try showing off friend. But one day when we travelled together we noticed when we were doing 60s in our bikes (Splendor likes) we realized his speedo was actually showing 80!!!
selvagp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 09:44   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
...we noticed when we were doing 60s in our bikes (Splendor likes) we realized his speedo was actually showing 80!!!
Wrong calibration of the speedo. Bajaj and Hero aren't very keen on calibrating the gauges to the last digit, and some lemons also find their way into the vehicle assembly plant. Got this piece of info from an ex-colleague who used to work for one of the companies that make instrument clusters ;-)
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:02   #1192
Team-BHP Support

The other day after I cross the toll gate on the Hyderabad ORR, I saw two very well dressed gentlemen trying to push a Scorpio.

I parked behind them and join in.
As we push the car I hear the sound of engine cranking.

I get to the driver who had no clue what he was doing.
The Scorpio is in neutral gear and once momentum is gained he was cranking the engine.

Realizing that this is not going to work, I instead offered them a ride while one of the passengers remained with the Scorpio.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 11:47   #1193
BHPian

“Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?” - T. S. Eliot.

Knowledge is gathered from learning and education while most say that Wisdom is gathered from day to day experiences and is a state of being wise.

Knowledge is merely having clarity of facts and truths while Wisdom is the practical ability to make consistently good decisions in life.

Does does this Guy have the information /knowledge even??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
This happened recently when I was riding passenger in my colleague's Alto K10. Monsoons were receding, except for the occasional shower that would wreak havoc on Hinjewadi streets. Although it was only drizzling, the roads were mucky and slushy. The car ahead of us was spraying a fine mist of dirt on my colleague's windscreen.

I asked him to use the washer/wiper to clean his windscreen. He answers "The water is over. Can't clean it."

I ask him "Why didn't you fill it up, you need it a lot during monsoons..."

To which he replies "Fill it up? How? There should also be enough rain to fill up the water tank, na?"

I was like on his idea of rainwater harvesting! Explained to him that he needs to open the bonnet and pour water into the washer/wiper reservoir.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
yogesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 12:03   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to previous post, one of a known uncle, about 58-60 years of age...he was shocked to know that the light stalk control can be pushed & pulled to switch between the beams. For all these years he was using it in the same position!
Should we still think that we do not need driver's training in India?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 14:35   #1195

Coming from a modest background, my dad and I had very little knowledge about cars, warranties and repairs in general while setting out to buy our first car. We had selected the Wagon R CNG based on internet reviews, our expected running and the brand name.

The salesman of a reputed Maruti dealership, who probably had to finish his target of selling petrol models tells us with the air of someone forbidding a teenager from smoking "Sir, don't go for gas. CNG runs dry and will screw up your car in no time. Your engine will be destroyed in barely 2500 km or 2 years"

I actually burst out laughing and my dad asked him "Are you telling me your company makes cars that conk off in 2 years?? AND offers this thing you mention as EXTENDED warranty?"
S.Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 10:41   #1196
Senior - BHPian

A colleagues Alto rear ended an Optra near a toll booth. His wife, seated on passenger seat had kept the seat reclined fully and was not wearing seat belts. Understandably she gets thrown towards windsheild when the accident occured.
Luckily no one was injured in both the cars. While discissing about this topic of seat belts and air bags came up. My friend insists that not wearing seat belts is best thing to do since seat belts causes burn (which is true) when it tightens. I try to point out that without that you may be thrown forward. The reply I get, you should hold tight and sit.
I try to fight a loosing battle saying seatbelts and air bags are very important.
The reply, just hold a soft pillow on your lap and sit. It is better and cheaper than an air bag. I stop my argument.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 11:07   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The reply, just hold a soft pillow on your lap and sit. It is better and cheaper than an air bag. I stop my argument.
Looks like your friend is much worried about his nuts than his head
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 12:47   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
A colleagues Alto rear ended an Optra near a toll booth. His wife, seated on passenger seat had kept the seat reclined fully and was not wearing seat belts. Understandably she gets thrown towards windsheild when the accident occured.
Luckily no one was injured in both the cars. While discissing about this topic of seat belts and air bags came up. My friend insists that not wearing seat belts is best thing to do since seat belts causes burn (which is true) when it tightens. I try to point out that without that you may be thrown forward. The reply I get, you should hold tight and sit.
I try to fight a loosing battle saying seatbelts and air bags are very important.
Have him read this, that's all.
I'd posted this since years back almost, in the accidents thread :

http://www.roaddriver.co.uk/safety-t...ng-a-seat-belt
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 11:37   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Has someone confused your car with some other car? Like calling Estilo as WagonR, Beat as Spark and so on? I have all my life had a tough time explaining non-petrolheads that what I have is a Zen and NOT and Alto. A smart uncle even told me that Zen or Alto whatever, it does not matter - the engine is the same!

However, last evening was special and what happens takes the cake. One of my colleagues asked if my Civic is the i20 'Magna'!
OK, if I become a lot more accommodating, I can even understand i20; but 'Magna'? Why a 'Magna'? Why? Why?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 12:45   #1200
Senior - BHPian

A relative changed his mind, to buy the Amaze petrol instead of the Grand i10 he had shortlisted earlier. Because some trustworthy soul at the Hyundai Dealership told, Grand i10 isn't selling well.

Now, if he wanted to buy a sedan, let him go and buy but why badmouth the poor i10

And he felt the Extended warranty is a ripoff. I suggested that it's better to take since parts are pretty expensive to replace these days and also Amaze isn't quite the quality product we used to expect from Honda.
What did I get? "Standard warranty is two years, if something didn't fail for those 2 years, it won't fail after that."

I shut my mouth.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote