Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th May 2016, 22:05   #1216
BHPian

Default Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

I was a rear seat passenger in my relatives car recently and buckled up. I got laughed at. Grandpa sat in the front seat. I asked my grandpa to wear seat belt. His reply: "Naa poonal poturken. Enaku seatbelt theve illa." (I'm wearing my sacred thread, I don't need the seatbelt)
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 19:25   #1217
BHPian

This happened when I was in 12th standard. We were a group of 3, close friends (say A, B, C) killing time outside a shop after bunking the day's extra class.

Now A and B (me) were a bit knowledgeable about cars while C was a complete noob.

A - Meri Swift 1.3 Litre hai. (My Swift is 1.3L)

B - Toh kya? Meri Verna toh 1.6 Litre hai. (So what? My Verna is a 1.6 Litre)

A - (to C) Teri kitni Litre hai? (How much is yours?)

C had a Karizma at that time. He was listening to our conversation very keenly.

C - (leaning and patting on the fuel tank) 1000 Rs. mein full hoti hai. Lagalo kitna litre hai. (The tank gets full in 1000 bucks. You do the Maths!)

A and B =

Someone please do a better Hindi-English translation. This was the best I could do.

Last edited by biggrin : 17th May 2016 at 19:34. Reason: Minor typos
biggrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 20:41   #1218
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lightbulb Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Can you please why you expect person to engage hand break in AT equipped car when the car is parked in P mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
When I come home, put it in park, and release the brake - the car will move just a little bit ahead before the pin comes into contact and the car stops. When this happens, on my next drive - once I start her up, the movement from P to whatever gear is always a little jerky.
Lamborghini is 100% right.

Google 'stuck in park on an incline' and you'll see millions of complaints. Those people didn't use the handbrake.

If I park on an incline, I always engage the handbrake first, then 'P'. Would rather have 1,000 - 2,000 kilos of weight held in place by the robust brakes than a delicate transmission.

I reiterate, the right sequence would be to engage the handbrake first, then engage P. When you want to drive away, it's the reverse order (move to 'D' first, then release the handbrake, or you've put all that weight on the transmission again).

This is what Honda says:

Quote:
If the vehicle is parked on a grade and the shift lever is placed in P (Park) position before the parking brake is set, the weight of the vehicle may exert so much force on the parking mechanism in the transmission that you may have difficulty moving the shift lever out of P (Park).

To prevent this, apply the parking brake BEFORE you move the shift lever to P (Park) position. When preparing to drive away, move the shift lever out of the P (Park) position BEFORE you release the parking brake.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 20:51   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Maybe most owners will not notice this, but given my daily drive is a Skoda with DSG, I am a little more attentive
I learn something new every day. In my Rapid DSG I feel a jerk when shifting from P to R, now I know why.

Also can you elaborate what is the best way to use car in S mode. After 8k Kms i have got the hang of D mode but whenever I switch to S Rapid makes so much revving noise that I immediately switch to D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I park on an incline, I always engage the handbrake first, then 'P'. Would rather have 1,000 - 2,000 kilos of weight held in place by the robust brakes than a delicate transmission.
Makes so much sense, with DSG in place will not make this mistake any more.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 14:46   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I learn something new every day. In my Rapid DSG I feel a jerk when shifting from P to R, now I know why.

Also can you elaborate what is the best way to use car in S mode. After 8k Kms i have got the hang of D mode but whenever I switch to S Rapid makes so much revving noise that I immediately switch to D.
So I actually prefer D mode oddly.

More to do with the fact that S drops down one gear (so if I am cruising in 6th, and engage S mode, the gear will drop down to 5th). While this is great for quick overtakes - I don't keep it in S mode for too long.
This is because with a slightly heavy foot (not flooring entirely, but if you recall our earlier discussion on riding the torque and keeping the accelerator pressed 70-80%) the gear doesn't upshift before the redline which is unnerving.

As this is a diesel, the torque reduces after 3.5K-4K rpm, so I'd rather be in the torquier part of the powerband.

On a highway when planning a quick set of overtakes - switch over to S, and same when going downhill a steep slope as it'll aid to the braking. But for cruising, nothing beats D.

Hope this helps - this is how I've noticed the Laura working best!

@GTO: Thanks! You're right - it is more sensible to engage the parking brake and then shift to P. Need to change that habit.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 17:05   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
To add to this:
If we forget to use the handbrake before slotting into 'P' at an incline, the best way to free up the lever is to push the vehicle one or two inches up the incline, hold the vehicle at that position using the hand brake, and then shifting out of 'P'. Not using the handbrake regularly for parking would cause premature failure of the Transmission Parking Pawl.
http://myautomatictransmission.com/t...rking-pawl.htm
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 22:46   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Lamborghini is 100% right.

Google 'stuck in park on an incline' and you'll see millions of complaints. Those people didn't use the handbrake.

I reiterate, the right sequence would be to engage the handbrake first, then engage P. When you want to drive away, it's the reverse order (move to 'D' first, then release the handbrake, or you've put all that weight on the transmission again).

This is what Honda says:
The same should also apply to manual cars right? As in when we park in an incline and engage the 1st or reverse gear depending on the slope (upward or downward) we should first engage the hand brakes and then slot in.
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 23:03   #1223
BHPian

A certain someone told me to not buy a car with ABS & airbags coz having these features will reduce the fear of injury, and will make me drive fast (I guess they meant rash).

I also overheard someone mention to another that disc brakes (on bikes) is only required if one goes above 100kmph.
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 23:20   #1224
BHPian

I was once advised by a 'well-informed' friend not to buy a car with Airbags.
His logic was that if the airbags inflate then they get permanently damaged and reinstalling them will apparently cost around 30k!
Not once did he think about the importance of life saved in case of an emergency. 😄
aamateen46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 11:02   #1225
BHPian

I got this cousin who is a wanna be petrol head. I remember this incident in June 2015- *We were at a family gathering, my uncle was asking me which car to buy. He was impressed with the City CVT*

M(Me): Buy the SV version instead of the VX. Add alloys and save some cash. (Just my POV)

U(Uncle): I drove the XUV 500. Loved it. *Blah Blah Blah (all praises)* But I don't think I can find parking at my office.

M: Stick with the City if you don't want a big car.

C(Cousin): Buy the XUV 500. RWD car and effortless highway cruiser

M: Over 95% of XUVs are FWD.

C: If you have such a heavy car with FWD, the alloys will break under the weight when the car is accelerated fast. So it has to be RWD only.

Sensible point-
C: I've seen a XUVs front wheel stuck in the mud and rear wheels spinning.

M: That must have been an AWD version.

C: No, XUV is RWD.

M: Go check anywhere you want. The XUV 500 is either FWD or RWD.

U: Ugh,I'm considering VX CVT only. I don't think XUV is for me. I want a sunroof.

C: Good choice. Your kids can see the road better. They just have to stand on the rear seat and peep out.

M: Not a good idea. Don't let anyone do it. Anyone doing that might get seriously injured.

*And I just excused myself as I didn't want to argue anymore with my dumb cousin *
Old 11th July 2016, 11:33   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
M: That must have been an AWD version.

C: No, XUV is RWD.

M: Go check anywhere you want. The XUV 500 is either FWD or RWD.
I guess you meant AWD instead of RWD. But yes, I remember having a similar discussion, or let's say an argument with my mama (maternal uncle) when he believed Tata Manza was rear wheel driven.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 11th July 2016 at 11:35.
Divya Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 11:36   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I guess you meant AWD instead of RWD.
Oops. I can't correct it now. I'll report the post.

Thanks.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:07   #1228
BHPian

Default Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

I was at the dentist's, and a dental assistant saw my helmet and started talking to me about my bike (I think the nice guy was just giving me small talk to ease my nervousness).

He asked what bike I had, I told him, and then "how much?". I thought he's asking the price of the bike and said ten thousand. Then we spoke about many other things, and then I had my dental procedure. Then as I was leaving, he made one final comment:

"Ten thousand cc. Wow. That must be fast"

Last edited by rajushank84 : 21st August 2016 at 11:08.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 12:17   #1229

This is one great thread, makes you remember so much stupid stuff you heard or did. I remember as a kid I used to play in our trucks (TATA) while they used to be parked outside our place, I used to think that if u push the gear stick forward it will go forward, if you need to go reverse you need to pull it back, similarly left to go left and right to right
Nits83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:28   #1230
BHPian

Cut to year 1997. I had just bought a Cielo, my first 'upmarket' car. It had seatbelts!! The seatbelt rule however had not come to Delhi yet. We drive off to a wedding function - my mother & me. I request her to wear the seatbelt. "What rubbish", she exclaims, "nobody wears a seat belt; meri saree a palla kharab ho jagyega" (my saree's folds will get spoilt). I play with the clutch & accelerator and the car shudders and sputters to a halt. With a poker face I tell mother this modern car cannot move forward till both the front seat belts are engaged. Fuming she believed me. And off we went. She then calls a friend from her cell phone (they were a new toy then) and in the middle of the yakety yak proudly tells her chum that our new car has seatbelts that need to be fixed before the car can move.

With the Cielo I started using a seatbelt regularly. One afternoon at a signal on Lodhi Road the folks in the car next to mine look curiously at me with my seatbelt. One turns to the other and remarks, "NRI ho ga" (he must be an NRI) - referring to the seatbelt being worn when no such rule existed.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd February 2017 at 19:33.
V.Narayan is online now   Reply With Quote