Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 10:51   #1786
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 124 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Well good news is that tomorrow some of us will get to watch the big bloke Inzi bat. Hopefully, he will sign off in style. And beat Miandad's record as well.
Inzi was out for 14, fell 6 runs short of breaking javed record. hope he gets that in his 2nd innings.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 10:54   #1787
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Instead of piling up the age-records like our little fella, let the big fella win the test for Pakistan and be happy for rest of his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And beat Miandad's record as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Inzi was out for 14, fell 6 runs short of breaking javed record. hope he gets that in his 2nd innings.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:02   #1788
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 124 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Sports

Quote:
On his 79, Team India’s top score in Chandigarh
It was a different kind of innings and my priority had been to get myself in and, then, build on the start… It turned out to be a crucial knock and it helped that Sourav (Ganguly) was at the other end… He was immensely supportive… It helps when your partner keeps talking to you between overs, keeps encouraging you… It counts for more when he has himself played over 300 ODIs… The Australians were bowling some very good ***** and it was important not to lose a wicket early… Sourav and I set out to lay a foundation (they added 91)… Of course, later, we had batsmen who could go for the big hits.
Quote:
On whether age should at all be the criterion for selection
Performance, not age should be the criterion… I don’t wish to join in any debate, but what I’ve said is what I believe in.
It varies from eyes to eyes, what i consider as performance may not be for the other. It's all left to the selectors

Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:08   #1789
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
the talented ones in ICL will never get to play for Team India. To heck with exposure et al for BCCI. It is about power/money/politics and monopoly.
I think this is being challenged in the courts. Since BCCI is just a general body, I don't think they have monopoly over the cricket team representing our country. They just have a contract with the ICC IIRC. I think ICL can put out their own team to represent the country as well (like in non-ICC events). But all we can do is wait and see. Also I think most of the players joining ICL have already agreed to the fact that they won't play for the Indian team. The tournament is paying them good money, to take care of their livelihood doing what they best are at. Thats playing cricket. So I don't think many will complain.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th October 2007 at 11:10.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:16   #1790
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Instead of piling up the age-records like our little fella, let the big fella win the test for Pakistan and be happy for rest of his life.
Are you trying to tell me that the OZ's are not playing for records? For the record of the most successful team ever to have embraced the cricket field. Most consecutive wins in test & ODI's? If you think only the fab 3 are playing for records and no one else is I think you are really too naive or....

Everybody plays for records be it in any game. Footballers try to score the max goals, same goes with hockey players, baseball guys try to score most home runs, tennis stars for most wimbeldon cups.

I think the main reason the greatest batsmen till date in cricket is know is for his record of Avg of 99.9 (?). Yes, I am talking about Sir Donald Bradmen. Wonder why Walsh, Muralidharan, Ambrose, Lillee, Hadlee, Mcgrath were known for the world around? Because at one point or the other they all had the record of most wickets in cricket. Heck even Yuvraj admitted that he wanted to equal the world record by hitting the 6th six & join the elite club. Wasn't he playing for a record too? So stop your bias towards the fab 3.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th October 2007 at 11:18.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:27   #1791
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default The concept of age records.

Let the big fella contribute his efforts towards winning the test match. Beating Miandad's record is just incidental. He should not score 1 run more than Miandad & think his job is done.

Note: The bowlers you have listed are known for their mean deliveries rather than as highest wickets takers. Anyway all those records are broken now.

Note: Yuvraj's 6 sixes in an over is a performance record, not an age record. I wish our players play for performance records rather than age records. In your earlier post you have mentioned that Ganguly was selected based on seniority, rather than performance. What I am suggesting is, players try to squeeze into the team to achieve age records.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Are you trying to tell me that the OZ's are not playing for records? For the record of the most successful team ever to have embraced the cricket field. Most consecutive wins in test & ODI's? If you think only the fab 3 are playing for records and no one else is I think you are really too naive or....

Everybody plays for records be it in any game. Footballers try to score the max goals, same goes with hockey players, baseball guys try to score most home runs, tennis stars for most wimbeldon cups.

I think the main reason the greatest batsmen till date in cricket is know is for his record of Avg of 99.9 (?). Yes, I am talking about Sir Donald Bradmen. Wonder why Walsh, Muralidharan, Ambrose, Lillee, Hadlee, Mcgrath were known for the world around? Because at one point or the other they all had the record of most wickets in cricket. Heck even Yuvraj admitted that he wanted to equal the world record by hitting the 6th six & join the elite club. Wasn't he playing for a record too? So stop your bias towards the fab 3.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:39   #1792
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I think the Australian Cricket board found this out and hence force the players to make their International debut around 30. Players know that they can't achieve age records and so go for performance records. Also the players come into the team without any baggage and know that only performance alone will keep them in the team. This benefits the interests of the team. Of course the exceptions are made for exceptional talents (such as Michael Clark).

There have been such instances in India. Robin Singh made his debut late and won many matches for India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What I am suggesting is, players try to squeeze into the team to achieve age records.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:40   #1793
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
In your earlier post you have mentioned that Ganguly was selected based on seniority, rather than performance. What I am suggesting is, players try to squeeze into the team to achieve age records.
Last I knew getting a 100 or a 50 was as much a performance record as Yuvi's. I don't know what is it that you keep referring to as "age record". By that logic every record that Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting make is also an "age record". They are sure to retire in a couple of years anyway.

It ones again depends on what is an effort "worthy" of winning you a match. And this depends from person to person. To me Sachins & Ganguly's opening stand was one of the important factors why India won. To you its not. When two bowlers are bowling well in tandem, though most often than not the guy with the highest number of wickets gets the most praises, the guy who has kept up the pressure at the other end seldom deserves the praise. To me, that is performance too. To you maybe it will just be the guy whose taken the wickets to be the performer.

Try telling that to the selectors. Its not like Ganguly enrolled himself back into the team on his own will & power. The selectors are playing dirty here, so why blame the players? They are doing the best they can under the given circumstances (I mean the players). Circumstances that neither you or me have any clue about. So let us stop this nonsense and enjoy a game of cricket irrespective of who plays well or doesn't. I don't think its that hard if all of us decide to put our thinking caps down for a moment & enjoy good cricket whichever side it comes from.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:51   #1794
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,829
Thanked: 1,475 Times
Default

Diabloo

Would you mind posting a picture of yourself here?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:54   #1795
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Age record example:
1. Let me get 10,000 runs in ODI in 15 years.
2. Let me score 50 centuries in 500 matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Last I knew getting a 100 or a 50 was as much a performance record as Yuvi's. I don't know what is it that you keep referring to as "age record". By that logic every record that Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting make is also an "age record". They are sure to retire in a couple of years anyway.
Its you who listed highest wicket takers. I reminded that they are famous for their mean bowling. Being highest wicket takers was just incidental and those records are broken now.
Quote:
When two bowlers are bowling well in tandem, though most often than not the guy with the highest number of wickets gets the most praises, the guy who has kept up the pressure at the other end seldom deserves the praise. To me, that is performance too. To you maybe it will just be the guy whose taken the wickets to be the performer.
I am doing that. I am excited that we are T20 champions. You crib that we are not ODI champions ???
Note: We are analyzing the performance of players. Why do you tell that we should not do that?
Quote:
So let us stop this nonsense and enjoy a game of cricket irrespective of who plays well or doesn't. I don't think its that hard if all of us decide to put our thinking caps down for a moment & enjoy good cricket whichever side it comes from.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:56   #1796
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,994
Thanked: 3,418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Diabloo

Would you mind posting a picture of yourself here?
Starting some fan club, is it?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:57   #1797
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Why do you ask that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Diabloo

Would you mind posting a picture of yourself here?
Note: How about a thread on, "You picture in real world"?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:01   #1798
BHPian
 
thefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Why do you ask that?


Note: How about a thread on, "You picture in real world"?
Good idea! But please don't.. McLaren will be looking around for you

But tell me... how do you justify your saying that Tendulkar/Dada should be out when there performance for the calendar year is so damn good?

PS: No offence to anyone intended!

Last edited by thefreak : 10th October 2007 at 12:16.
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:11   #1799
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I am not telling they should resign. I am only telling they should back to their best. Else make way for somebody to show off their best.

Tendulkar: I was investigating on his very slow scoring in last ODI. BTW, why does he get out defending in ODIs
Ganguly: After his exit from the team, his performance in domestic cricket was ordinary. Still he made it to the team. He is far from his best. Let me put it this way: He has to discover most of his strokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
But tell me... how do you justify your saying that Tendulkar/Dada should be out when there performance for the calendar year is so damn good?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:19   #1800
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,829
Thanked: 1,475 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Why do you ask that?
Just to see if you are also round and therefore pointless
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread - It's Australia yet again ! Eddy Shifting gears 603 31st March 2015 10:39
The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !! Eddy Shifting gears 992 11th April 2011 19:40
Worst Cricket Commentator of the Year. DCEite Shifting gears 80 6th October 2009 13:02
Current Cricket impasse typeOnegative Shifting gears 36 28th September 2005 00:34
Sidhu : Cricket = Murray Walker : F1 Hatari Shifting gears 2 26th February 2005 01:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:00.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks