Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 20:57   #6901
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,552
Thanked: 930 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

To be completely fair to Dravid and Sachin, I compared their records in Test matches that they have played together.

Quote:
Total Runs:
Dravid: 11894
Sachin: 12586

in Australia (Sachin): 1441
in Australia (Dravid): 1143

in Bangladesh (Sachin): 820
in Bangladesh (Dravid): 560

in England (Sachin): 1184
in England (Dravid): 1376

in India (Sachin): 5431
in India (Dravid): 5384

in New Zealand (Sachin): 671
in New Zealand (Dravid): 766

in Pakistan (Sachin): 268
in Pakistan (Dravid): 550

in South Africa (Sachin):959
in South Africa (Dravid):624

in Sri Lanka (Sachin): 952
in Sri Lanka (Dravid): 427

in West Indies (Sachin): 620
in West Indies (Dravid): 764

in Zimbabwe (Sachin): 240
in Zimbabwe (Dravid): 300
Their records are quite comparable during this period (Sachin ahead by ~750 runs). There's almost nothing to separate them while playing in India.

One interesting observation is that Dravid seems to do better in England/New Zealand where the ball tends to move around a fair bit whereas Sachin seems to do better in Australia/South Africa which are known for fast and bouncy pitches. Which means that each has his own strength/weaknesses and sort of complement each other.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 21:51   #6902
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Yes that is true - its been his life so far. Perhaps the time has come to move to other things now that his day is pretty much done in terms of achievements etc.
The old order needs to change, to give way to the new - that's the way of nature and that should be the way of life in any profession as well.
However, it is all a question of opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Shankar, For Sachin Cricket has been his life. I'm sure that he wouldn't overstay his welcome. He would have given thought to it and I'm sure he would call it a day with dignity when he is still good enough
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 22:00   #6903
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,337
Thanked: 4,543 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Whats the big deal guys ? Its simple enough for me

Q1- Should he retire ?
Ans: Only he can decide that. No other cricketer, no ex-player, no armchair critic like me can answer this question. Remember, retirement is not only because of diminishing ability, its also because of diminishing motivation & enthusiasm to play. And that is something that only Sachin knows. Retirement so that someone "younger" gets a chance does not sound right to me.

Q2 - Should he be dropped ?
Ans: Only selectors can take that call, so let them do their jobs
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 22:37   #6904
BHPian
 
lloydofcochin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 436
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes that is true - its been his life so far. Perhaps the time has come to move to other things now that his day is pretty much done in terms of achievements etc.
The old order needs to change, to give way to the new - that's the way of nature and that should be the way of life in any profession as well.
However, it is all a question of opinion...
Shankar, I agree with you regarding the way of nature. But there are always some exceptions. Let's take John Chambers of CISCO as an example. He has been serving as CEO since 1995. That's a long 17 years and off late the CISCO had hit some rough weather but he still has the confidence of the board to continue.

So let Sachin play and as long as he performs we should probably savor those breathtaking shots from his Bat and relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Whats the big deal guys ? Its simple enough for me

Q1- Should he retire ?
Ans: Only he can decide that. No other cricketer, no ex-player, no armchair critic like me can answer this question. Remember, retirement is not only because of diminishing ability, its also because of diminishing motivation & enthusiasm to play. And that is something that only Sachin knows. Retirement so that someone "younger" gets a chance does not sound right to me.

Q2 - Should he be dropped ?
Ans: Only selectors can take that call, so let them do their jobs
+ 100. Sensible & to the point opinion
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 00:37   #6905
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Dravid's speech at BCCI. We'll miss you, Rahul.

anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:18   #6906
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dravid is a far superior batsman because he is a far better team player. He kept wickets when asked to. He batted at any position, from 1 to 8, whichever seemed to be better for the team. At his retirement, he said that it was the catches that he was dropping that hurt him the most. Needless to say he saw that as detrimental to the team. Contrast that with Sachin who will only bat as an opener in ODIs and number 4 in tests, no matter what the situation of rest of the team.

Yes Dravid was a far better player.
+1, This is the only point I make to a friend who is a blind SRT fan. I really don't understand why such a great batsman, did/could not volunteer to open the batting when there was an 'opener' crisis (in England). After all he is a regular opener in ODIs.

I wouldn't want to compare RD and SRT as they have been greats in their own way and it is not fair on either of them to put in stats to show who's better. But, as amitoj states above, RD is more of a team man than SRT
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 10:48   #6907
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
+1, This is the only point I make to a friend who is a blind SRT fan. I really don't understand why such a great batsman, did/could not volunteer to open the batting when there was an 'opener' crisis (in England). After all he is a regular opener in ODIs.

I wouldn't want to compare RD and SRT as they have been greats in their own way and it is not fair on either of them to put in stats to show who's better. But, as amitoj states above, RD is more of a team man than SRT
I totally fail to understand how Dravid is more of a team man than SRT! You say he should have opened innings in England and that would have been an indication that he is a team player. Well I can equally say that maybe he felt that he would not have been able to do justice to that slot so for team's benefit he decided NOT to open (what good is an opener if he gets out too soon/cant see off the new ball?). At No. 4 he has freedom to accumulate runs (which is the prime job of a batsman) so for TEAM's benefit he stuck with No. 4 position. A Tendulkar (for that matter Dravid, Sehwag, any batsman) making runs is much better than NOT making runs!

Its so unfortunate for Dravid he is being used as the stick to beat Tendulkar here. Both have been our all time great batsman. Its not a bad thing if sometimes one was better than the other. We are talking about two of the best batsman of all time here. Dravid had a great career and now he is retired. One day Tendulkar will also retire. Let us Tendulkar fans enjoy for few more days for once he is gone Cricket will be very very poor. Why take pot shots at the great man, has anyone of us brought even 1% as much glory to the nation as this little man?
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 11:14   #6908
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well I can equally say that maybe he felt that he would not have been able to do justice to that slot so for team's benefit he decided NOT to open (what good is an opener if he gets out too soon/cant see off the new ball?). At No. 4 he has freedom to accumulate runs (which is the prime job of a batsman) so for TEAM's benefit he stuck with No. 4 position. A Tendulkar (for that matter Dravid, Sehwag, any batsman) making runs is much better than NOT making runs!
Okay, lets take Dravid out of the picture here and I agree they shouldn't be compared.

So, if everyone in the team says, 'Sorry, I cannot score runs as an opener, I will bat in the middle order', then who's going to open the innings?? It's not that he isn't used to opening the innings. It's these small things which count, which makes you a team player. Everybody has their comfortable position. But, sticking to their comfort zone even in times of crises is really not something a team man would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
One day Tendulkar will also retire. Let us Tendulkar fans enjoy for few more days for once he is gone Cricket will be very very poor. Why take pot shots at the great man, has anyone of us brought even 1% as much glory to the nation as this little man?
Yes, one day he will retire 'on his own terms'. The BCCI does not have the guts to sack him anyway. Why sir? just because I haven't contributed even 1% glory, I shouldn't criticize him? By, that logic even you cannot be supporting him. If you can't criticize him, you can't support him either
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 11:31   #6909
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Okay, lets take Dravid out of the picture here and I agree they shouldn't be compared.

So, if everyone in the team says, 'Sorry, I cannot score runs as an opener, I will bat in the middle order', then who's going to open the innings?? It's not that he isn't used to opening the innings. It's these small things which count, which makes you a team player. Everybody has their comfortable position. But, sticking to their comfort zone even in times of crises is really not something a team man would do.
Yes Opener in tests is a specialist position. It is not anybody's job. So you just cant send anyone at the top. In one dayers its different (otherwise what is the difference between ODIs and Tests?) Tests need different technique, different temperament and most of all different commitment from the batsmen. Thats why many players who seem so great in ODIs (like Dhoni, Yuvraj etc) still suck in Test arena.

Quote:

Yes, one day he will retire 'on his own terms'. The BCCI does not have the guts to sack him anyway. Why sir? just because I haven't contributed even 1% glory, I shouldn't criticize him? By, that logic even you cannot be supporting him. If you can't criticize him, you can't support him either
I am not a Sachin supporter. I am a fan By definition fans are beyond reason I started watching cricket just around when Sachin appeared on the scene and will stop watching when he finally puts the bat down for good. I just feel priviledged to be born at the right time, to have witnessed the greatest batsman ever thru all his cricket life. I just wanted to see India lift WC once while he is there and that has been done.

Dont care for BCCI. Their corruption and money has damaged Cricket beyond repair. Once this golden generation is gone, all you guys will have is stupid T20s and 3 day Test matches. Already there are no more good bowlers, next there will be no more good batsmen, only bludgers.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 12:54   #6910
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,437
Thanked: 809 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Only he can decide that. No other cricketer, no ex-player, no armchair critic like me can answer this question.
Just like SRT is free to retire whenever he wants, I am free to have an opinion when he must retire.
Quote:
Only selectors can take that call, so let them do their jobs
There is no selector born in India who can drop SRT from team. If anybody does that, he won't have a house next day.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 13:00   #6911
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,337
Thanked: 4,543 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Of course we can all have our opinions

Just that ours will only be an outside view which might not necessarily consider factors like motivation, will, physical condition, money etc.

And I do not buy the argument about selectors. If they can't do what they think is right, then they do not deserve to be selectors. Of course, everything need not be public. They can discuss their plans of dropping a player with the player himself in private.
It is then upto the player to accept the drop and whether he wants to go back to domestic cricket and fight for his place or retire.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 18:03   #6912
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 619
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
who's going to open the innings??
I wonder why Dhonut didnt promote himself to open the innings . He has this habit of shifting the batting order and promoting himself when things are in control.
It would have been interesting to watch Dhonut facing some music from the English seamers.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 08:38   #6913
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Ambani's hosted a party facilitating Sachin Tendulkar for his 100th Ton. Awesome song sung by Legendary Lata Mangeshkar.



Another video of Srikanth going after the news reporter with regards to SRT's 100th Ton and his retirement.

chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 09:19   #6914
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho
Dravid's speech at BCCI. We'll miss you, Rahul.
Yes. A model player and a true team player.

Wonder what Mr TonTon was doing that kept him away from this function.

Last edited by bblost : 29th March 2012 at 09:27. Reason: Removed embedded video.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 13:08   #6915
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

I do not understand why this sudden interest in bashing Sachin with Dravid. Last time I checked, they were 2 of the very best cricketers India ever had playing side by side. Now who would want to beat one with the other ? And why ? I love them both, both are different. Why should Sachin play like Dravid or vice versa ? And who the hell are you guys to suggest who should do what next ?

Please drop your selectors' hats and enjoy the game, why take it so seriously ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread - It's Australia yet again ! Eddy Shifting gears 603 31st March 2015 10:39
The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !! Eddy Shifting gears 992 11th April 2011 19:40
Worst Cricket Commentator of the Year. DCEite Shifting gears 80 6th October 2009 13:02
Current Cricket impasse typeOnegative Shifting gears 36 28th September 2005 00:34
Sidhu : Cricket = Murray Walker : F1 Hatari Shifting gears 2 26th February 2005 01:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks