Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 16:31   #8611
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
......some big hitting by our boys in the junior world cup today albeit against Nepal (who actually beat NZ & Ireland to qualify)
I was actually pretty disappointed watching the U-19 stuff. Watched India's chase of Nepal's total and then the NZ game highlights back-to-back, and the lack of technique and temperament is shocking. The T-20 effect is percolating to junior levels pretty alarmingly, slog shots ruling the day. If the current U-19 side is anything to go by, we'll be hard-pressed to have a decent Test team in a few years.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 17:33   #8612
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I was actually pretty disappointed watching the U-19 stuff. Watched India's chase of Nepal's total and then the NZ game highlights back-to-back, and the lack of technique and temperament is shocking. The T-20 effect is percolating to junior levels pretty alarmingly, slog shots ruling the day. If the current U-19 side is anything to go by, we'll be hard-pressed to have a decent Test team in a few years.
I wonder if there will be any tests in few years. Let's be honest to ourselves. Everyone has taken T20 like a billion dollar baby and no matter which league is started it's creating tons of money for organisers, players, media people and entertainment for people. Can't blame upcoming players just targeting T20 as benchmark for fame and money in abundance. I don't see test Match cricket surviving after another 5 years.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 21:59   #8613
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I wonder if there will be any tests in few years. Let's be honest to ourselves. Everyone has taken T20 like a billion dollar baby and no matter which league is started it's creating tons of money for organisers, players, media people and entertainment for people. Can't blame upcoming players just targeting T20 as benchmark for fame and money in abundance. I don't see test Match cricket surviving after another 5 years.
While I won't go as far as to say I'm SURE there will always be tests, I'm pretty SURE I won't be watching cricket if there weren't.

T-20 holds absolutely no appeal to me; I'd rather go play stick-cricket outside with the street urchins if given the choice.

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of players are losing out to the T-20 phenomenon and careers are being destroyed. Team and sponsors pay millions to have the next big wannabe on their side, but what do you think happens if the poor player doesn't hit the ground running? Very few get a long rope, most are hung out to dry after a short stint never to be heard of/from again. Not to mention they've already spent most of their grooming years preparing the wrong way and don't have the temperament or aptitude to re-learn.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st February 2016 at 22:01.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 19:39   #8614
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,592
Thanked: 4,293 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

India U19 team thrashed Sri Lanka in the world cup semi final and now....
India 2 wickets down against a young Sri Lankan side in the T20 game. Rohit sharma and Rahane gone! Should be an interesting game hopefully.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 20:16   #8615
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,592
Thanked: 4,293 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Kasun and Dasun (yeah they're the bowlers ) reduce India to 51-5 and both got 2 wickets in their first overs.
Where is this match headed ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 20:19   #8616
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Kasun and Dasun (yeah they're the bowlers ) reduce India to 51-5 and both got 2 wickets in their first overs.
Where is this match headed ?
6 out now. Rather than great bowling absolutely ridiculous shots by everyone. Won't even make 100 now and right deserve to lose. Over confidence.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 20:32   #8617
Senior - BHPian
 
carwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bardez, Goa
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

I feel if India somehow scrape to 120, we will have a match in our hands worth watching but India would lose.

This is what I mentioned in my previous post regarding T20 rankings, even though WI is on top but the nature of T20 is such that any team can defeat any team in T20 any day irrespective of the rankings.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 21:25   #8618
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 4,424 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

I am loving it !

Long time since I've seen such a lively pitch & conditions like these where the bowlers are dominating.

What an over by Bumrah
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 22:44   #8619
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It is obvious that Australia prioritise ODIs and Tests over T20 internationals.
Australian selectors fired their T20 captain for the loss. Steve Smith is the new captain. If T20 isn't a priority, then why take the drastic step?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
This is what I mentioned in my previous post regarding T20 rankings, even though WI is on top but the nature of T20 is such that any team can defeat any team in T20 any day irrespective of the rankings.
Yes, in T20s, the difference between teams is marginal. With today's loss, India move to No 3 and SL is the new No 1 in ICC T20 ranking
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 06:48   #8620
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,592
Thanked: 4,293 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

The young Sri Lankan team just brought the Indians down to earth and that is good after the recent T20 series sweep in Australia;that was probably making them complacent and over confident. This is good in light of the upcoming T20 world cup, hope it helps the Indian team prepare better.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 22:02   #8621
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 4,424 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Australian selectors fired their T20 captain for the loss. Steve Smith is the new captain. If T20 isn't a priority, then why take the drastic step?
Beacuse they wanted the same captain in all formats
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 15:15   #8622
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The young Sri Lankan team just brought the Indians down to earth and that is good after the recent T20 series sweep in Australia;that was probably making them complacent and over confident. This is good in light of the upcoming T20 world cup, hope it helps the Indian team prepare better.
Don't read too much into that series sweep. Australia are one of the worst sides in this format.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 15:46   #8623
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 4,424 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

The U19 world cup semi final between WI & Bangladesh looks to be a cliffhanger. The winner plays us in the finals

Edit: It's India vs West Indiess

Last edited by Eddy : 11th February 2016 at 16:13.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 17:00   #8624
BHPian
 
Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 195
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Edit: It's India vs West Indiess
Wow, West Indies. They didn't even deserve to be in the quarters after the mankading incident and now they are in the finals.

Should be an easy final for the Indian "Colts".
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 19:08   #8625
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Meanwhile the West Indies senior team is again fighting with their board over a payment dispute.

Expect a second string WI team for the WT20.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread - It's Australia yet again ! Eddy Shifting gears 603 31st March 2015 10:39
The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !! Eddy Shifting gears 992 11th April 2011 19:40
Worst Cricket Commentator of the Year. DCEite Shifting gears 80 6th October 2009 13:02
Current Cricket impasse typeOnegative Shifting gears 36 28th September 2005 00:34
Sidhu : Cricket = Murray Walker : F1 Hatari Shifting gears 2 26th February 2005 01:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks