Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd June 2017, 14:42   #9466
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Cricket Thread

I read today that Kohli had merely expressed his strong concerns to the BCCI but was willing to work with Kumble if that's what CoA wanted but Kumble resigned.

I hope this is true.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:46   #9467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hasn't Kohli improved in terms of temperament in the past one year ? .
Are you sure about this? Did you forget his antics during the Australia series? All he did was make a big fool of himself. His temperament depends on how well he is batting, if the bat fails, the mouth starts off and that's not a good thing, is it?
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:53   #9468
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
As per news report, he scolded the players after the loss in the Champions Trophy. The way they performed what they should have received is this -. Btw, now that Kumble is not coach, he should replace Guha in the COA, will be a good move.

Completely agree with you. He will make an excellent bowling coach, he has a good rapport with most of these players as he's played with a few of them in his career. But from what i read somewhere, he was approached but he quoted a huge sum which BCCI couldn't afford. Atleast the board should consider having him on tours abroad as a bowling consultant.
Having him in COA would be very interesting

Quote:
I read today that Kohli had merely expressed his strong concerns to the BCCI but was willing to work with Kumble if that's what CoA wanted but Kumble resigned.

I hope this is true.
How can you work with someone when you dislike him, without talking with him and after everything is out in the open ? It would have been just a paying job for Kumble with any work.

I think with what was going on, Kumble's decision to quit was right. Hope Kohli now can start performing with his bat.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:02   #9469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Are you sure about this? Did you forget his antics during the Australia series? All he did was make a big fool of himself. His temperament depends on how well he is batting, if the bat fails, the mouth starts off and that's not a good thing, is it?
I don't think so. All he did was call out what the Aussies were doing... "C". His temperament, IMO, has improved significantly with time. Of course, how will he cope up with continuous team losses and a dip in personal form is something to be seen.

Even in this case, if Kohli was willing to tone down and work with Kumble, thats a positive sign.

Quote:
I think with what was going on, Kumble's decision to quit was right. Hope Kohli now can start performing with his bat.
I agree. Given the situation, someone had to go. And that could only have been Kumble. All I am trying to say is that blaming Virat completely for the fiasco without knowing his side of the story is unfair on him.
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:59   #9470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All he did was call out what the Aussies were doing...
I think he was doing more than that. Calling them systematic cheaters was something that would have landed him in serious trouble if the other side had chosen to challenge this as they ought to have - even for slander. Yes, Smith was foolish, but the systematic cheating claim should have been pursued to a finish to punish either those guilty of it, or those found claiming this to be the case. Instead, he was allowed to get away with it; IMO, a mistake by both boards.

His on field behaviour in the series - not pretty - was also a result of his poor batting form in the series. In general, he cannot cope gracefully when pushed and under pressure.

He is also a liar - witness his very clear rebuttal that there was anything wrong between the coach and him, earlier this month. He ought to have sidestepped the question instead of the false rebuttal he made in public, accusing the press in turn of creating controversies where none exist.

I agree he needs to be heard, so let's see when that happens. BCCI loves to keep their knights white and shining so that should be a sight to see. In all probability, there will be silence.

If he loses overseas, the knives will be out. And unfortunately, sharper than they would be with someone that doesn't paint themselves into corners like he seems to have now.

PS: although not relevant fully, it was pathetic to see Rahane unable to take up Smith's offer to get together for a beer after the last match. He could have done that even if he doesn't drink; beer wasn't the point. Kohli won't take such behaviour well, is why he refused. Neither would any recent Indian captain of the past have I suspect; all suffered from the totalitarian tendencies of almost every Indian that gets to leadership positions. Except Rahul Dravid, I would like to believe.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd June 2017 at 16:07.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:26   #9471
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I think he was doing more than that. Calling them systematic cheaters was something that would have landed him in serious trouble if the other side had chosen to challenge this as they ought to have - even for slander. Yes, Smith was foolish, but the systematic cheating claim should have been pursued to a finish to punish either those guilty of it, or those found claiming this to be the case. Instead, he was allowed to get away with it; IMO, a mistake by both boards.
Agree with everything. I think the players bring out the same behaviour that our richest bullying board does. Humbleness is something that you dont see in team or administrators.

Found this article good. Even the COA and CAC are just for name sake.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/kumble...?homepage=true
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:43   #9472
Senior - BHPian

Excellent summary in that article.

I have no idea why a CAC is needed. It is a silly idea and consequently a silly body. As to the COA, at least one knows why it is there - because of the SC who we must all blindly respect lest we be arrested for contempt of court. Guha first, now Kumble is shining a light on the poor state of affairs in our favourite, but not national, game. But there everyone is thick skinned, and as fans, we will never let the TRPs drop. So, the circus will continue until that happens.
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:10   #9473
Senior - BHPian

Why not do an ECB and remove both captain and coach? Find a new captain. Kohli can stay on as player depending on form. It would send a message that he isnt the be-all of Indian cricket.

In any case, he cannot handle pressure and sledging does not spur him on. It only makes him play like a loon. Even in the tests in Oz, he was doing his best to get himself out against Johnson. His best wasn't good enough that day for some time at least..

Chasing in qualifying games is anyway a different ball game than in finals.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:39   #9474
Senior - BHPian

If you had any doubts about the man's maturity, there is the report - alleged - that he has just deleted his tweet from a year ago welcoming Kumble as a coach, that confirms that he is still to grow up.

Kidstuff, if true.
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:34   #9475
BHPian

Meanwhile, this news gives me joy:
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20170622201907600_com.twitter.android.png
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:18   #9476
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Sawyer;4221540].
Quote:
Instead, he was allowed to get away with it; IMO, a mistake by both boards.
He was allowed to get away with it, maybe because what he said was true. If the Aussies weren't guilty, they would have made a bigger issue. Being called cheaters publicly is a big deal after all.

Quote:
In general, he cannot cope gracefully when pushed and under pressure.
This is something we will find out on overseas tours.

Quote:
He is also a liar - witness his very clear rebuttal that there was anything wrong between the coach and him, earlier this month. He ought to have sidestepped the question instead of the false rebuttal he made in public, accusing the press in turn of creating controversies where none exist.
Yes, he could have been more politically correct but I don't think he deserves the liar tag. A statement confirming the issue would have been more harmful I guess. Did Kumble also not deny the rift ?

Quote:
I agree he needs to be heard

I am sure he's been heard, but given his latest statement I doubt he will tell us what actually transpired. We'll have to wait for a BCCI leak, sanctity of which will always be questionable.

Quote:
If he loses overseas, the knives will be out. And unfortunately, sharper than they would be with someone that doesn't paint themselves into corners like he seems to have now.
Not until there is a significant alternative. And definitely not if his performance as a batter remains good.
Old 23rd June 2017, 00:44   #9477
Senior - BHPian

If the Aussies were indeed guilty, our Board should have backed him up when their Board refuted the charge in no uncertain terms. To the extent that Kohli was implicitly challenged by its words.

As far as I know Kumble did not talk to the press after the rift rumour surfaced. But if he did deny it, that is wrong too. Just as much. And there was no need to confirm, just as there was no need to deny the rumour as strongly as the BCCI did. From the BCCI, one expects that behaviour.

I agree he will not be in hot water if the team loses while his batting is up to close to its best.
Old 23rd June 2017, 01:04   #9478
BHPian

A good player may not necessarily be a good captain. E.g. Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, etc. You need a matured calm head to lead the team as the captain who is neutral and fair and more importantly handle pressure situations and not panic. Dhoni for example. I am not saying that he was perfect or that he was absolutely fair and impartial but was matured unlike Kohli. He is a very good player no doubt but is arrogant and amateur and therefore not fit to be a captain particularly of a team which has so much of expectation.
jbpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 05:27   #9479
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how the Test status for the two new teams will help; they are just barely adequate one day sides at this time. Graduating to Test status needs many domestic games of the kind they don't play and how many one sided Tests will they play? - unless they often play with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and even WI, which will not allow them to make forward progress for a long time to come, by which Test match cricket may even be extinct.

Good chance now for someone to break the Lara record for maximum score though!

Back to the Kohli subject, I have never appreciated the tired old line he is talking again now about the sanctity of the dressing room and that what goes on there is private and sacred. Sacred? As in the church confessional or a lawyer client discussion? What gives cricketers that kind of a right or protection when matters more relevant to the good of the game than their sacred privacy are involved, if discussed there? It seems to me to just a convenient excuse to hide behind. As convenient as that other silly statement that the Aussies keep saying - what happens on the field should stay on the field. After the advent of zoom lenses, spider cam, stump mics and the rest, this concept is obsolete now. Those devices are used to increase TRPs and via that route, player remuneration, so that shelter is also lost as an excuse now.

I also am amused to see statements in defense of Kohli that no player has come out in support of Kumble, so there is nothing wrong with Kohli as far as the team is concerned. Who would dare to?

Last edited by Sawyer : 23rd June 2017 at 05:39.
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:25   #9480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
they are just barely adequate one day sides at this time.
Afghanistan have won 3 consecutive series against Zimbabwe, and drawn a series against WI.

Quote:
Graduating to Test status needs many domestic games of the kind they don't play and how many one sided Tests will they play?
Ireland and Afghanistan have regularly beaten every other side in the Intercontinental Cup(A first-class competition for non-Test playing nations conducted by the ICC).

Both their domestic competitions have first-class status. Teams won't progress in Test cricket unless they are provided the opportunity. Test cricket has for long functioned as an old-boys club.

Quote:
Good chance now for someone to break the Lara record for maximum score though!
Bangladesh were eons more inadequate at multi-day cricket when they were given Test status. No one has scored 400 against them, so I doubt that record is in danger against Ireland or Afghanistan.

The most important thing is that the ICC and the individual boards give them the opportunity to play regular matches. The new Test structure finalised at the ICC conference should go a long-way in providing some context and structure to Test cricket.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote